PDA

View Full Version : Machining Parts At Home

tbird
06-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I used to be able to make parts at work, but the rules have changed. I was curious if any of you have some of the home mills or lathes (like a Smithy...) and what parts you've been able to make. Also is there a particular machine you would recommend or not recommend?

Shooter McNasty
06-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Depends on what your going to build. A good used bridgeprot mill would cost at least 1K plus, you'll need 220 3 phase. You could get slide vise for a drill press on ebay cheap enough.

I dont have access to machines at work anymore either. Unless your going to be using stuff like that everyday porbally better to find some Mom and Pop place and get them to do what you need

Buffman
06-12-2009, 11:17 AM
just need a phase converter ;) my Brother in Law has all sorts of nice goodies at his garage that him and his Dad have been buying up. I'm not sure what they charge for rates, but his welding and fabrication/machining skills are top notch :)

customizedcreationz
06-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I just sold my mill/lathe combo, it was a big 12x36 lathe setup. It was perfect for someone that didnt have enough room to have both a mill and lathe seperate. It was a little more work to setup and use, but again if you didnt have the space then it was golden.

You can buy a good table top bridgeport style mill from KBC right now for $1150 and it runs off 220 single or you can buy a 110 single.

Shoot me a pm if you want and I ll scan the flyer, or just give Paul a call at KBC. They are good people and will take care of you. Plus they have scratch and dent models.

TAC
06-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Harbor Freight has some very reasonably priced metal working machines. Lathes, Mills, Lathe/Mill combos, Drill Presses, etc. These are made in China, and are not suitable for heavy 24/7 production use, but more than adequate for occasional home machining projects. You'll find many of these identical machines being sold though tool outlets under different names, that imply being made in the U.S., but they are not.

Harbor Freight Tools
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?f=displaysubcats&CategoryID=9&tab=8

Here is an example of a small lathe for only $449.99!

Groo
06-13-2009, 04:14 PM
I bet there are plenty of out of buisiness shops that need to sell off good used equipment. I wouldn't count on anything from harbor freight that require any precisin at all.

Logante
06-14-2009, 09:18 PM
What about when the colleges replace machines?

E.G.= Scraft sells thier old welders back to thier dealer who "Refurbishes them" and resells them.

mechredd
06-14-2009, 11:08 PM
My friend bought a demilled AK and machined new parts to make it full auto.
It's illegal as Hell, but it sure is fun.

mechredd
06-14-2009, 11:21 PM
He also downloaded the designs for the Russian AK, and has machined a whole rifle from scratch. He's currently waiting on a spring kit and is planning on milling his own stock.

alzhemi
06-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I used to be able to make parts at work, but the rules have changed. I was curious if any of you have some of the home mills or lathes (like a Smithy...) and what parts you've been able to make. Also is there a particular machine you would recommend or not recommend?

i have access if u need something done let me know, i run cnc mills & lathes ! we also have a engine lathe, bridgeports w/prototrack, mig & tig welding !! :thumbup:

lfisherjr
06-21-2009, 09:47 PM
It's all on who you know

Garbo
06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
My friend bought a demilled AK and machined new parts to make it full auto.
It's illegal as Hell, but it sure is fun.

And now that you have the attention of every regulatory agency that monitors this site.

mechredd
06-22-2009, 06:16 PM
And now that you have the attention of every regulatory agency that monitors this site.
True, but its not mine, and if hes smart, he would apply to get a manufacturers license, like I told him to.

Roger Roney
06-23-2009, 02:04 AM
True, but its not mine, ......Agreed, but who will they come after first? Him, or 'the one' who posted here he has knowledge of it? :lol:

I wonder if the mods should delete that post and all quotes?

Roger

mechredd
06-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Agreed, but who will they come after first? Him, or 'the one' who posted here he has knowledge of it? :lol:

Roger
Agreed

greyofk
06-23-2009, 05:59 PM
I will update my lathe for precision german unit soon. If you are interestad in my old one, please drop me your email address
Regards

Missahba
07-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Agreed, but who will they come after first? Him, or 'the one' who posted here he has knowledge of it? :lol:

Roger

Too late. They'll find it in a Google cache anyway. Besides, the mods will be exposed to an obstruction charge for trying to conceal it.

dougwg
07-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Too late. They'll find it in a Google cache anyway. Besides, the mods will be exposed to an obstruction charge for trying to conceal it.

CORRECT!

If the admin and or mods do NOTHING they hold no responsibility. But if they go in and start messing with stuff then they can be held accountable.

There was a recent court decision about this very thing.

I would suggest the author edit his post to reflect that he saw it all in a dream.

johnzilla
07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
I bet there are plenty of out of buisiness shops that need to sell off good used equipment. I wouldn't count on anything from harbor freight that require any precisin at all.

Agreed, though I'm no machinist, just trying to learn.

Based on all the discussions and reviews I've read, the $500-$700 lathes and mills from places like Harbor Freight are fine for general use or experimenting. However, if you're halfway serious and your time is valuable (such as you intend on doing production work for sale) you're much better off and will get more bang for the buck by skipping the bargain basement stuff and going up a couple levels. Even better, keep an eye out for used pro equipment that is in good shape rather than buying new. Todd's recent sale is a good example of this.

Incidentally, the mini lathes in the $500 range are all made by the same Chinese company regardless of who sells them. Essentially the only thing that changes is the color and what may or may not be included in the price (chucks, etc).

wolfy
07-01-2009, 08:33 PM
The market is flooded with used professional machines and equipment for sale, almost all of which will be powered by a 3 phase motor. What a lot of people don't realize is you can run a three phase motor off of a single phase power source by utilizing a Variable frequency Drive (VFD). The VFD will allow for superior motor control as well. Alllen-Bradley is just one manufacture that offers VFD's that you could utilize, this is a much better way to go than a phase converter.

Groo
07-03-2009, 07:49 AM
I've also heard of using a 3 phase motor hooked up to a single phase source, once its spinning, it outputs 3 phase though induction. I imagine hooking the machine in question up direct to single phase might work too, but at 1/3 power.

TGriffin
10-05-2009, 08:38 PM
A good rule of thumb to follow for Harbor Freight is that if it has more than one moving part, don't buy it. It's also a good idea to stay away from combination machines in general. You would be much better off with a good used dedicated machine, and Craig's List is full of them. A lathe, vertical mill, band saw and belt sander will enable you to build most anything. I make part of my living as a prototype machinist and that, plus a few accessories is all the equipment I have.

Tom