PDA

View Full Version : 2009 MGO FNRA Banquet

Barrettone
06-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi All,

I am happy to announce that the EC has authorized the hosting of an FNRA (Friends of the NRA) Banquet for October 9, 2009. Location is currently TBD. The FNRA Committee (so far) is comprised of myself, fbuckner, UTPD5, and NickS. I am trying to determine the best location for this event. I am thinking that the Canton, Livonia area is a good idea, as it is pretty central to our current membership base. Future events will probably rove the state. If anybody has an idea for a good location, I would like to hear it. The facility needs to be able to hold 200-300 people, and we need to be able to feed everybody at around $16-$20 (plus the hall rental fee) per person. I have found that buffet style works best with a meat carving station. People use VFW's, Elk's Clubs, Moose Lodges, ect... It is usually a cash bar, but soft drinks are included in the $16-$20.

Now, for a little about the event. It is basically a carnival for gun owners. There are games of chance, live and silent auctions, door prizes, and best of all, it is FULL of gun enthusiasts just like you who care about the 2nd Amendment!!! So you know, THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL ACTIVITY!!! Forget about all that NRA-ILA crap you get in the mail. 100% of the monies raised go back to Michigan Youth and Womens outreach programs!!! MGO/Safe Storage just received a $3600 grant for this year thanks to a grant fbuckner submitted, and I helped push through. So it has already benefited us!!!

If we are to receive future funding though, it is critical that we help by hosting an annual event. This is a very social event, and there are even many things on the prize table for the ladies, like jewelry, spa packages, and of course guns like Lady Smiths!!! There is something for everybody from the hunter to the casual shooter. There are even car wash and movie theater packages, dinner certificates, training classes, NRA limited edition merchandise, and a multitude of other prizes. If you have never been to one of these, you are really missing out. It is a great social event that will help out a great cause...MGO!!!

We are also looking for more committee members to help in building this event. We also need sponsors who can provide goods and services (tax deductible of course), or wish to underwrite prizes. So, if you have a local business who might be willing to support this event, I would like to hear about them. I am always open to suggestions, and you can PM me, or email me anytime if you wish to offer up advice, volunteer to help, or know of someone who would like to help. This is the big one folks...this event is HUGE, and it will be MGO's biggest undertaking to date...so it needs your help to succeed!!!

Ticket prices will be as follows:

Dinner Only:

$40 for a dinner ticket only
$300 for table of 8

Dinner Ticket Packages:

$75 for one dinner ticket plus $100 worth of raffle tickets for the prize table
$125 for two dinner tickets plus $200 worth of raffle tickets for the prize table

These raffle tickets will be face value at the door, so it is a best to pre-purchase a ticket package. Where else can you go out for an GREAT DINNER, have a chance to walk away with a gun or various other prizes, and enjoy the company of so many fellow gun enthusiasts? I have been doing these for years, and they are a very rewarding event to attend. Seeing a guy walk away with a $500-$600 gun, or one of the other many expensive prizes is always cool to see.

So PLEASE...will you help me make this event a success??? I want to hold our first committee meeting after the annual, but I need to set the location so I can print our tickets. Let me know what you all think!!!

Thanks,
Jeff

hopeitsfast
06-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Sounds like a good time and cause.

johnzilla
06-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Count me in for a seat (dinner ticket package).

How about the place where Mike Cox had his St. Patrick's Day party this year?

Laurel Manor • 39000 Schoolcraft Road • Livonia, Michigan 48150

It is right at Newburgh/I-275/I-96, easy access from any direction.

Barrettone
06-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Count me in for a seat (dinner ticket package).

How about the place where Mike Cox had his St. Patrick's Day party this year?

Laurel Manor • 39000 Schoolcraft Road • Livonia, Michigan 48150

It is right at Newburgh/I-275/I-96, easy access from any direction.

Awesome...thanks John!!! As for Laurel Manor, it is (unfortunately) way outside our price point. Nice place though...I had my wedding there. I already had a member put me in touch with the people who handle Mt. Holly for a quote, but I would like at least 3 quotes and possible locations to take to the committee for a decision. Keep those ideas coming!!!

mullinsn2000
06-27-2009, 08:39 PM
I sent you a PM about helping!

Thor77
06-27-2009, 08:42 PM
This sounds like fun. Just hope I am able to attend. It depends on whether I stay here for training in the fall or shipped out/move to another state. Should know more by Sept. Sorry, I guess that is not much "help" lol. But I will be in for the Dinner and raffle if I am here!

Made_in_Michigan
06-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Mt Holly has a nice facility. And that sounds like a really fun evening... Is there somewhere I can learn more about what the FNRA does?

Barrettone
06-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Mt Holly has a nice facility. And that sounds like a really fun evening... Is there somewhere I can learn more about what the FNRA does?

Sure...go to:

http://www.friendsofnra.org/

It is a great program/granting organization for getting youth and women involved!!!

Jeff

Made_in_Michigan
06-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Sure...go to:

http://www.friendsofnra.org/

It is a great program/granting organization for getting youth and women involved!!!

Jeff

A real good read.
I'm awfully wary anymore of where my money goes as I've learned over the last few years that many of the charities I thought were good were simply funnels to get money to things/people/causes I would rather set on fire than donate to.

If scheduling permits, I will be bringing my wife to this event & if things work out well, maybe another couple or two.

Something to think about: With MGO being a co-sponsor of the event, maybe we could put on an additional mini-event consisting of an auction on the website, silent or otherwise, to allow those who cannot make it to still contribute in a fun & interesting way to this worthwhile cause.

Barrettone
06-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Something to think about: With MGO being a co-sponsor of the event, maybe we could put on an additional mini-event consisting of an auction on the website, silent or otherwise, to allow those who cannot make it to still contribute in a fun & interesting way to this worthwhile cause.

I will definitely bring this idea up in committee!!!

Thanks,
Jeff

Barrettone
06-28-2009, 12:08 AM
A real good read.
I'm awfully wary anymore of where my money goes as I've learned over the last few years that many of the charities I thought were good were simply funnels to get money to things/people/causes I would rather set on fire than donate to.

I could not agree more. I give DIRECTLY to my fire and police department, and NOT to those trolls that call my home to solicit money. They take 90% of the money for their "administrative costs", and only 10% or so actually makes it to the department. It is a scam, but the PD's and FD's figure something is better than nothing, so they authorize them to solicit on their behalf...in short, it's a bunch of BS.

I PERSONALLY serve on the state committee and see first-hand that ALL THESE MONIES go to furthering the shooting sports WITHIN THE STATE THE FUNDS ARE RAISED!!! I would never involve MGO in anything that was not 100% legit. In fact, we are front-loaded, as they already gave us money ($3600), and we have never raised SQUAT for FNRA. That speaks to their willingness to fund the worthy causes such as MGO's Safe Storage Program.

lindsey
06-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Jeff,
What about Western Wayne County Conservation Association on Napier Road north of North Territorial?
www wwcca com (I don't have enough posts to be allowed to include a URL. You can remove the spaces and add the periods in the appropriate positions to make your own URL)
They have a big room in their club house. I don't know what it will seat but probably 200+
If the club is willing, the hall rental price should be in the target budget.
WWCCA is a nice facilty. I'm not a member but I've been there for fish fries and game dinners.
They have some sort of liquor license and a bar.
They have a kitchen that a caterer could use for warming and some food prep. The kitchen should be adequate for a wedding type caterer that does the major food prep off-site. There is plenty of space outside for a BBQ / picnic caterer to set up their gear.

I checked their events schedule and the only conflict that I see on 10/9/09 is with their euchre night. Perhaps the WWCCA euchre players would be willing to let the club house be used for an FNRA banquet that evening.

The skeet and trap ranges are just outside the club house. Perhaps WWCCA would let the non-drinkers and the haven't had a drink yet folks at banquet shoot trap and skeet. Maybe double the usual price of a round and split 60/40 between WWCCA and FNRA; a little extra $ for them to offset the hassle of operating the ranges at a non-standard time and for the gamble that banquet participants will want to shoot.

Lindsey

Barrettone
06-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Jeff,
What about Western Wayne County Conservation Association on Napier Road?

Lindsey

WWCCA already hosts a banquet (just did it a week or two ago). It is bad form to use another annual banquets facility. I was only able to do one in that region because ours is in October whereas theirs was in June, so we are separated by 4 months. I just can't use their facility. Besides, they can only host 150 people once we add all the tables for the prizes, so it is too small. We need 200-300 people PLUS all the tables for live auction, silent auction, games, etc...

Thanks for the suggestion though!!!!

Jeff

mullinsn2000
06-28-2009, 09:53 AM
There is a hall on Van Born Rd., west of Merriman I think. I can not remember the name but a friend had his wedding reception there and had around 300 people.

Joeywhat
06-28-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure if it's been mention but I think Crystal Gardens has a hall in Livonia. Should be somewhat decent pricing. I also have my union hall in Warren, I could ask if it's available. Nice place, they actually hosted a MCRGO event there this past winter.

As for tickets, if I wanted to buy a table, can I still buy raffle tickets at the (seemingly drastically) reduced price of the combo offer?

hornet7722
06-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Hello! There are members of this organization that live outside of Detroit! Why is so much of what this club does in or around that stink hole? The name is MICHIGAN gun owners -not- detroit guns owners. What about Lansing or Grand Rapids; the second largets city in the state? As a new comer here, I bet this has been addresed before. But everytime I read about an event or a suggestion for one, it's in Detroit. Maybe the thing to do is have a West Michigan and east Michigan Gun Owners? That would work for me. Maybe the gun owners in West Michigan need to add more numbers to the group in order to be taken seriously, I don't know. I would love to attend a FNRA banquet and have many times. But I will not drive to detroit for anyreason and I bet there are others that feel the same way.

Joeywhat
06-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Hello! There are members of this organization that live outside of Detroit! Why is so much of what this club does in or around that stink hole? The name is MICHIGAN gun owners -not- detroit guns owners. What about Lansing or Grand Rapids; the second largets city in the state? As a new comer here, I bet this has been addresed before. But everytime I read about an event or a suggestion for one, it's in Detroit. Maybe the thing to do is have a West Michigan and east Michigan Gun Owners? That would work for me. Maybe the gun owners in West Michigan need to add more numbers to the group in order to be taken seriously, I don't know. I would love to attend a FNRA banquet and have many times. But I will not drive to detroit for anyreason and I bet there are others that feel the same way.

This has been discussed to some degree (chapters of MGO, not the FNRA deal). These things take time, and require MGO to grow.

As for the dinner...Detroit is where the population is at. It's obviously very difficult to cater to everyone in MI seeing as we are a very large state. The dinner has to be in a location where it can get as many people as possible to come in, and I'm sure the metro Detroit area is the best bet for that.

It should also be mentioned that this will not be held within the city limits of Detroit. It will be in the Livonia/Westland/Canton areas most likely...

Cherokee
06-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Hornet, I understand what your talking about. I myself live way north of most of the activities done by MGO. But, as Joey pointed out, the majority of the active MGO membership is in the area's where most of the activities occur. As MGO grows, more and more will be held in the further outreaching areas.

Barrettone
06-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Hornet, I understand what your talking about. I myself live way north of most of the activities done by MGO. But, as Joey pointed out, the majority of the active MGO membership is in the area's where most of the activities occur. As MGO grows, more and more will be held in the further outreaching areas.

+100000000000

My goal is to have an organization with 5 or 6 state-wide chapters, with roving EC meetings and this big banquet moving around the state as well. Ideally, we will eventually have a Southeast Chapter, Southwest Chapter, Mid-Michigan Chapter, Northern Lower Chapter, and a UP Chapter (possibly eastern and western). We just need to boost our numbers in these demographics first. It is a conundrum though...you need people in an area to warrant the event, but potential members want to see events BEFORE they'll join. We'll have our hands full dealing with this complex problem. That is why I am looking at Holly, as it is pretty much an equal distance from Detroit, Ann Arbor, Flint, and Lansing (about 30-45 minutes for all involved). Please bare with us...we're on it!!! Now...onward and upward!!!

Barrettone
06-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure if it's been mention but I think Crystal Gardens has a hall in Livonia. Should be somewhat decent pricing. I also have my union hall in Warren, I could ask if it's available. Nice place, they actually hosted a MCRGO event there this past winter.

As for tickets, if I wanted to buy a table, can I still buy raffle tickets at the (seemingly drastically) reduced price of the combo offer?

Check into 'em Joey, if you don't mind. You know our costing constraints (listed in first post)...see if it is do-able.

Jeff

Mike Kelly
06-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Barrister Gardens (http://www.barristergardens.com/) in St. Clair Shores is where Mark Scott used to hold fund raisers for Nevers and Budsen.

Athena Hall in Roseville (http://www.athenahall.com/) should have a chance.

Iraqi’s gift comforts family of slain Marine

ROSEVILLE, Mich. — Rae Oldaugh says she cried upon being told her son, Lance Cpl. Allan Klein had been killed in a helicopter crash in Iraq, and again when an Iraqi immigrant offered his banquet hall for a free funeral luncheon.

Allan Klein, 34, of Macomb County’s Clinton Township, was one of 31 U.S. service members killed in the Jan. 26 helicopter crash. They were part of a team providing security in the days before Iraq’s first free election in decades.

Youil “Louie” Ishmail, owner of the Athena Banquet Center in Roseville, was among the Iraqi-Americans who voted Sunday in that election. At 46, Ishmail for the first time had freely voted in an election in the land of his birth.

Oldaugh called him the next day to book the hall for a luncheon following Klein’s funeral, scheduled for 11 a.m. Friday at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church.

When Ishmail learned that Oldaugh’s son had died in Iraq, he immediately offered to provide the hall and a meal for 230 people at no cost.

“This Marine give his life for me to go and vote,” Ishmail told the Detroit Free Press for a Friday story. “This is the least I can give this lady, just to give her some comfort.

“I tell her, ‘Everything. I will take care of everything. It doesn’t matter how many come.”’

Oldaugh was still marveling at Ishmail’s gesture Thursday.

“I was absolutely stunned when he said that to me,” she said. “It’s terribly ironic and significant to me that he did that.”

The value of the luncheon is about $3,000. But, Ishmail said, “It’s not the money.” Providing the luncheon, he said, was “the least I could do” for the family of a man who gave his life trying to bring freedom to Iraq.

“I want to tell those soldiers, those heroes, thank you for your sacrifice,” Ishmail told The Macomb Daily of Mount Clemens.

Ishmail came to the United States in 1979 from Baghdad, where he had been studying management and economics at Baghdad University. He grew up in Mosul after his family — members of a Christian minority long hounded by Saddam Hussein’s ruling Baath Party — was forced from their village in northern Iraq.

Ishmail, his wife Shamrain, his parents and his brother and sister-in-law traveled Sunday with a busload of Iraqis from Assyrian (Catholic) Church of the East in Warren to Southgate, where they voted in the Iraqi election.

“It was a dream come true for us to be able to vote,” said Ishmail, a U.S. citizen since 1991. “My family and I were so excited. I could see it in the eyes of my parents.”

— Associated Press

Barrettone
06-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Barrister Gardens (http://www.barristergardens.com/) in St. Clair Shores is where Mark Scott used to hold fund raisers for Nevers and Budsen.

Athena Hall in Roseville (http://www.athenahall.com/) should have a chance.

These are good ideas, but I fear we may not be as centralized to our membership base as we can be. Roseville and St. Clair Shores are east side, and I need to try and please as many people as possible with the location choice. They do host some worthy events, but geography, unfortunately, needs to play a greater role in this case. I was going to propose 3 geographic areas for choice: (Hartland/Fenton area, Canton/Livonia/Westland area, and Lansing area). These are all fairly central to our largest population of members IMO.

Thanks,
Jeff

Mike Kelly
06-28-2009, 01:51 PM
These are good ideas, but I fear we may be not as centralized to our membership base as we can be. Roseville and St. Clair Shores are east side, and I need to try and please as many people as possible with the location choice. They do host some worthy events, but geography, unfortunately, needs to play a greater role in this case.

Thanks,
Jeff

No biggy.
I make it a point to try and bring up Athena Hall to people because of what the owner did.

larrybob42
06-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Deleted by larrybob42...I'll just crawl back in my cave. I wont be needing any tickets I guess

Barrettone
06-28-2009, 02:15 PM
So....according to King Joey we west side people should just shut up and continue paying our dues and the big shots in the Detroit area will call all of the shots. Just my opinion, not a "royal decree"

Start another thread please if you wish to debate this issue. I said we are trying to work on this issue, but this threads purpose is not to debate such. I am nipping any potential flame wars in the bud here. I am about positive growth and conversation, not inflammatory rhetoric. I have 5 volunteers already to help serve on the committee (besides myself, fbuckner, UTPD5 and NickS) to help produce the event, and they are ALL from the Detroit area. If the west side can bring me that many helpers, I will also gladly look at hosting it there. I need help, not complaining. If you would like to head-up a Southwest Michigan Chapter for MGO, I will gladly help put the wheels in motion so we can get more venues over there, hold some meetings, etc...

Now, back on topic...

fbuckner
06-28-2009, 02:35 PM
+1 The Grant Committee as well as the Activitee's Committee is working very hard to work forward. In order for for MGO to keep moving forward we all HAVE to work together.

chewy
06-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm good for a dinner with you gun freaks! :)

That's of course depending on when...

Barrettone
06-28-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm good for a dinner with you gun freaks! :)

That's of course depending on when...

Cool Chewy!!! Get dad to come down from the north country and join us!!!

Jeff

Joeywhat
06-28-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm a king now? And I didn't even have to pull a sword out of a boulder or anything.....

Barrettone
06-28-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm a king now? And I didn't even have to pull a sword out of a boulder or anything.....

Don't start Joey...FNRA or no comment...

chewy
06-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Cool Chewy!!! Get dad to come down from the north country and join us!!!

Jeff

I may actually be able to do that... The VA he was working at cut back so he's now on the road again working at various hospitals for a couple weeks at a time... He ends up working in Freemont quite a bit so if he's down whenever we decide to do this I may be able to talk him in to coming over.

jvanhorn
06-28-2009, 04:59 PM
There are FNRA Banquets in many places across the state. I have attended two in Lawrence. I don't expect that many of you guys on the east side know much about that town:-)

Is there any way that MGO could at least distribute membership material at such events? I would be willing to see what's possible. The last one in this area wass in Feb, I doubt there will be another until at least next Feb.

Barrettone
06-28-2009, 05:21 PM
There are FNRA Banquets in many places across the state. I have attended two in Lawrence. I don't expect that many of you guys on the east side know much about that town:-)

Is there any way that MGO could at least distribute membership material at such events? I would be willing to see what's possible. The last one in this area wass in Feb, I doubt there will be another until at least next Feb.

I'll have to check with our state rep to see what is permissible for handouts at this 501(c)3 event. I know political figures cannot speak, and we cannot do anything political. I do not know, however, if another 501(c)3 can distribute at them...particularly if it is not THEIR specific banquet.

Jeff

hornet7722
06-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Barrettone, and others - Thank You for listening! At least now I don't feel like a voice in the wilderness! Ok, you can count me to attend and as a volunteer if you need me, even though I am a west sider and hate the detroit area. Please allow me to explain so as not to offend my fellow west siders. What Barrettone said is very true and correct - we need to focus on the possitive and keep MGO growing. Jeff also said that he IS looking into moving events and meetings around the state. All I wanted was to be heard and I feel that I have been. So let's go west siders. Jeff needs more volunteer's and we can car pool (or not). At any rate let's try to chip in and help. That way when it comes time to have a west side chapter we can expect help from the left side of the state (sorry could not help myself).

Doug

jolari
06-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Check out the Wixom Community Center. It has a ballroom that holds 250 and Gary's catering is just down the road.
http://www.cityofwixom.com/localgov/recreation/cc.html
http://garyscatering.com/

We had our wedding reception there years ago and Gary catered it.

Barrettone
06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Check out the Wixom Community Center. It has a ballroom that holds 250 and Gary's catering is just down the road.
http://www.cityofwixom.com/localgov/recreation/cc.html
http://garyscatering.com/

We had our wedding reception there years ago and Gary catered it.

Will do!!!

Jeff

Barrettone
07-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Hi All,

Well, I need some help in obtaining sponsors. I need EVERYBODY to, in the course of doing their everyday business, to check with everybody they know to see if we can get some goods/services donated for the event. This can be anything. Some things we have done in the past:

For Everybody:

Movie Passes
Gas Cards
Car Tune-Up/Oil Changes/Tire Rotations/Car Washes
Haircuts
Gift cards for Walmart/CVS/Kmart/Meijer/Dick's/Dining Establishments
Ammo/Guns/optics/accessories/reloading components/gun cases/safes
Camping Gear/Hunts (Pig, deer, turkey, bear, even safari)
Quilts/Log Furniture
Electronics
Dog Training aids
Vehicle Leases/ATV's/Accessories
Cider Mill Certificates
A cabin up north for a weekend
CPL Classes/other gun classes
Fishing trips/charters
Vacation Trips

Specifically for the Ladies:

Beauty Salon Certificates to include haircuts/coloring/manicures/pedicures etc...
Jewelry (costume and real)
Dinner and a Movie
Baskets of Cheer

Basically, anything you need in real life is practical, and I will tell you that it is easier to get services donated, as there is not as much out-of-pocket. Remember though, ALWAYS START HIGH. You can always dial down your request, and you'd be surprised, sometimes you get what you initially ask for. I once went in and asked for a Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag, AND GOT IT!!! Other times, I had to settle for an 870 or a muzzle loader...you never know. I have all the receipting for the donors, and can send them out for any goods that are given. They can also underwrite prizes in our base package (with cash donations), but fbuckner or I will probably need to handle that, as it requires some different paperwork (we have to keep VERY DETAILED RECORDS). We get 7 guns in our package to start with, and it is up to us to obtain more through sponsorship, reduced-cost purchase, or all-out donation. The key is start high, and never leave empty-handed. They will usually at least come off a $25 certificate (particularly if it is just for a "service").

So that is what I need...all members to just inquire if the people they deal with would like to support the MGO/Safe Storage FNRA Banquet. Don't be afraid to ask for the big Kahuna though. The worst they can do is say no, and offer a lesser donation!!! You can call me if you need to get a receipt for a prize you get donated. My phone # is in my signature line.

Thanks All,
Jeff

Cherokee
07-01-2009, 03:00 PM
So I can just walk into a gun store, ask for them to donate a nice new Shotty, and expect to walk out the door with it?

I must be missing an important part of this.

Barrettone
07-01-2009, 03:07 PM
So I can just walk into a gun store, ask for them to donate a nice new Shotty, and expect to walk out the door with it?

I must be missing an important part of this.

Yes you are. They will not release a gun to you. You would then contact me to get it receipted and arrange pick-up or delivery. I then need to send them a copy of our FFL for them to ship the gun to them (That is Randy's Gun Shop). The other option is for them to issue a certificate, but I still need to receipt it. I have solicitation forms that will state that whoever is soliciting is in fact affiliated with the MGO FNRA Banquet. You can however, put "feelers out" to see who would contribute, or solicit other smaller goods and services to donate to the event. If you need a solicitation letter, please PM me for one, as I cannot just post it here, as it would be subject to abuses. The committee will approve any potential solicitors.

fbuckner
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
email that letter to all the members of this committee please.

Barrettone
07-01-2009, 06:14 PM
email that letter to all the members of this committee please.

Done.

johnzilla
07-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Done.

I didn't get one and don't see anything in my spam folder.

Barrettone
07-02-2009, 08:51 PM
I didn't get one and don't see anything in my spam folder.

I sent you a PM requesting your email addy and phone # (again)...they got deleted from my inbox by mistake.

MiNRAFieldRep
07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey guys, let me know when you are planning your next couple of meetings for the banquet so I can attend. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Al Herman
Michigan NRA Field Representative
3221 Beaver Rd.
Bay City, Michigan 48706
Office:989-686-3013
Fax:989-686-3254
aherman@nrahq.org

Barrettone
07-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey guys, let me know when you are planning your next couple of meetings for the banquet so I can attend. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Al Herman
Michigan NRA Field Representative
3221 Beaver Rd.
Bay City, Michigan 48706
Office:989-686-3013
Fax:989-686-3254
aherman@nrahq.org

Will do Al.

Jeff

tenthumbs
08-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Long Time....No Update.

Can You Bring us up to Speed Jeff?

I just Returned from the Board Meeting at LCSC.

I requested that We Donate One Yearly Membership to our Club, and One Certificate for a CPL Class.The Board Approved the Request.

All That was Asked is that We be Allowed to Place a Small Display of Pictures of Our Club. or a small TV running a "Loop" of events at LCSC at wherever our Donation is Placed.

Next I Will work on the Club Buying a Table.

johnzilla
08-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Long Time....No Update.

I requested that We Donate One Yearly Membership to our Club, and One Certificate for a CPL Class.The Board Approved the Request.

All That was Asked is that We be Allowed to Place a Small Display of Pictures of Our Club. or a small TV running a "Loop" of events at LCSC at wherever our Donation is Placed.

Nice work! :thumbup:

Barrettone
08-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Long Time....No Update.

Good to hear!!! We have been busy distributing tickets, and trying to solicit sponsors. I am just plugging away. We can get you some space for the club display, and it would be great if you guys bought a table to represent your club!!! Thank you so much!!! Feel free to PM me with anything you need to make things go smoothly!!!

Thanks!!!

Jeff

tenthumbs
08-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Nice work! :thumbup:

Thanks, Maybe We can Procure Adjoining Tables so that we can Discuss ....Well You Know.:mischeif:

tenthumbs
08-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Good to hear!!! We have been busy distributing tickets, and trying to solicit sponsors. I am just plugging away. We can get you some space for the club display, and it would be great if you guys bought a table to represent your club!!! Thank you so much!!! Feel free to PM me with anything you need to make things go smoothly!!!

Thanks!!!

Jeff

Thank YOU Jeff, I Know the Amount of work Required to Organize these Events.

Did I Miss the Location or is it still TBD?

raptorvan
09-09-2009, 09:09 PM
i am not sure if i can make the event but i would like to give the 125 either way. do you have to be in the building to win the raffle?

Barrettone
09-09-2009, 11:59 PM
i am not sure if i can make the event but i would like to give the 125 either way. do you have to be in the building to win the raffle?

You can "entrust" someone with your tickets, and they can claim your prize. Just be sure you know/trust the person. If you don't know of anyone, I'll do it for you if you like. If you win a gun, you'll have to either do it direct with Randy's the following week, or let the other person claim it, and then do a private sale (kind of a pain).

Jeff
FNRA Chairman

TomE
09-12-2009, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=hornet7722]Hello! There are members of this organization that live outside of Detroit! Why is so much of what this club does in or around that stink hole? The name is MICHIGAN gun owners -not- detroit guns owners. What about Lansing or Grand Rapids; the second largets city in the state? As a new comer here, I bet this has been addresed before. But everytime I read about an event or a suggestion for one, it's in Detroit. Maybe the thing to do is have a West Michigan and east Michigan Gun Owners? That would work for me. Maybe the gun owners in West Michigan need to add more numbers to the group in order to be taken seriously, I don't know. I would love to attend a FNRA banquet and have many times. But I will not drive to detroit for anyreason and I bet there are others that feel the same way.[/QUOTE

C'mon, go back,they missed you the first time while shooting at you.I was born there and feel its the one of the negative energy centers of the world.
How bought having a West Side event at Moss Creek Golf Gourse?

Barrettone
09-12-2009, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=hornet7722]Hello! There are members of this organization that live outside of Detroit! Why is so much of what this club does in or around that stink hole? The name is MICHIGAN gun owners -not- detroit guns owners. What about Lansing or Grand Rapids; the second largets city in the state? As a new comer here, I bet this has been addresed before. But everytime I read about an event or a suggestion for one, it's in Detroit. Maybe the thing to do is have a West Michigan and east Michigan Gun Owners? That would work for me. Maybe the gun owners in West Michigan need to add more numbers to the group in order to be taken seriously, I don't know. I would love to attend a FNRA banquet and have many times. But I will not drive to detroit for anyreason and I bet there are others that feel the same way.[/QUOTE

C'mon, go back,they missed you the first time while shooting at you.I was born there and feel its the one of the negative energy centers of the world.
How bought having a West Side event at Moss Creek Golf Gourse?

Bring me at least 6 volunteers willing to serve on the committee who will attend meetings, solicit sponsors, sell tickets, and work the event, and I will bring it there in a heartbeat!!! That is what it takes to have a successful FNRA event.

TomE
09-12-2009, 11:19 AM
I have a lot of spare time on my hands to do just such,is there a easy way to find MGO members in the area to enlist in this or should I just scroll down the member list ,do volunteers have to be members?Probably would need a outline of previous events to organize something like this.Going to gun show in White Cloud Sunday,might be a good place to start,any idea on what kind of info to distribute on such short notice?If thet would even let me do something like that??

Barrettone
09-13-2009, 12:32 AM
I have a lot of spare time on my hands to do just such,is there a easy way to find MGO members in the area to enlist in this or should I just scroll down the member list ,do volunteers have to be members?Probably would need a outline of previous events to organize something like this.Going to gun show in White Cloud Sunday,might be a good place to start,any idea on what kind of info to distribute on such short notice?If thet would even let me do something like that??

I'd just do as you mentioned and go down the member list for candidates. I can send you and email regarding the details to solicit such people for an event.

Jeff

BullPup Adict
09-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Has the time, date and location been determined? I won a gun last year at the FNRA dinner in Marysville and I would like to attend the MGO FNRA event but I need to know where and when...

tks
Bull

johnzilla
09-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Has the time, date and location been determined? I won a gun last year at the FNRA dinner in Marysville and I would like to attend the MGO FNRA event but I need to know where and when...

tks
Bull

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59779

TomE
09-13-2009, 11:06 AM
BarrelTone,Thanks for the email,but I won't be doing any trying to organize anything,some of the members on this side of state don't think like I do,but thanks anyway,it would be a waste of time now

Barrettone
09-13-2009, 09:54 PM
BarrelTone,Thanks for the email,but I won't be doing any trying to organize anything,some of the members on this side of state don't think like I do,but thanks anyway,it would be a waste of time now

Sorry to hear that. I would like to see an MGO venue over there, but people need to stop complaining and do something about it. Some have said I should do an event, but then when I ask for volunteers, all I hear is crickets. It is easy to complain and sit on your duff. Might I suggest you start small with hosting an MGO Fun Shoot? It is much easier, and can be organized by one person. Just ask for attendees to bring a dish to pass, and schedule some range time (indoor or outdoor). These usually start small with 5-10 people, but then pick up steam as time goes on. It is easy to get people to come to an indoor winter shoot, especially if you have a month or so of lead time (nothing else to do in the winter dontchyaknow). We do one over here at Firing Line in Westland, and get 25-30 people. I'd suggest January as the winter doldrums are wearing on people by then and they are itching to get out. The EC can authorize funding for the range time and a conference room if they have one (for the food and commiserating). It really is a no-brainer, and you can hopefully generate the interest to take it to the next level.

Please think it over,
Jeff

Done Deal
09-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Might I suggest you start small with hosting an MGO Fun Shoot? It is much easier, and can be organized by one person. Just ask for attendees to bring a dish to pass, and schedule some range time (indoor or outdoor). These usually start small with 5-10 people, but then pick up steam as time goes on.

The outdoor fun shoot that TheTrainingTeamCPL put on in central Michigan earlier in the summer had about 20 people and others chickened out because they thought the rain was going to be a problem (gorgeous day).

I betcha next year will be bigger and better (although the first one was good) so....Jeff has a good point on an easy way to generate interest in your neck of the woods.