PDA

View Full Version : AR Upper Receiver Bench Block?

Arbor_Shooter
07-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm hoping someone in S.E. Michigan, preferably near Ann Arbor, has an upper receiver bench block for the AR as I have a very stubborn flash hider I am looking to remove. I've tried heating it, but I can't get enough torque with a wrench alone. I'd be happy to come to you and pay you for the use of your block and vise. Let me know.

sullyxlh
07-14-2009, 06:49 AM
I've got one and your welcome to use it
275/94 area..

karcent
07-14-2009, 07:02 AM
You really want to clamp the barrel in the vise, so what you want are barrel blocks.

Doing it the way you're thinking is a recipe for disaster.

dhrith
07-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Just "heating" it isn't going to help you. What you want to do is hit the FH with a good bit of heat as fast as you can without damaging it, then before the heat has time to transfer to the barrel and expand it also, hit it with the torque. A propane torch isn't really the tool of choice for this. It might be able to get the job done though. Total heat could be helped quite a bit by buying some dry ice from meijer or somewhere and cooling the whole assembly down first. Would also help filling the barrel keeping it from expanding as much as possible. Just the barrel end, not the FH.

Guesstimation, hit it with the heat for 15-20 seconds then give it a wrench. Don't set the flame in one spot, rotate it around it quickly. Longer than that and your just moving the heat into the barrel also and that's expanding too erasing all the expansion you just tried to create. Don't keep trying to heat it up if it doesn't come loose, just cool it down and start over.

Mongo
07-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I had a buddy who didn't realize his muzzle device was blind pinned on, I'm sure you have this covered, but thought I'd ask....Are you sure this flash hider isn't blind pinned on? If it's not pinned, I agree with the above post about barrel blocks. If that thing is really that stuck, I don't think I'd want my upper receiver taking that kind of sideways torque. Hope it turns out well.

Homelessrdp
11-17-2009, 12:36 PM
if you have a 14.5" barrel it will be pinned or soldered on

Arbor_Shooter
11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
I made a barrel vise by routing the centers out of two pieces of 3/4 thick plywood and putting that in a bench vise. Turned out pretty well and it was what I needed to get the flash hider off.