PDA

View Full Version : grease?

_DK_
07-14-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm sure this is like opening a Oil thread on an motorcycle forum. but here we go...

I found a bucket of Mobilgrease XHP 222 (http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENPVLMOMobilgrease_XHP_222.asp) here at work, could I use in on my gun(s)? Pretty sure we got it in error as it was mixed in with my buckets of spindle oil and its the same color bucket. I was thinking of snagging a pound or so in an old butter dish.

TFin04
07-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Will probably work just fine.

I use the red high temp lithium bearing grease sold at auto parts stores for $2/lb.

Joeywhat
07-14-2009, 01:21 PM
I use Mobile 1 Synthetic for my oil and grease. I bought the grease because it was on sale...only $1 more/tub then standard lithium.

Works fine for me. I use the grease on the rails of my handguns and the rails/bolt of my AR.

pgaplayerless
07-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Some of ya'll clean your guns waaaay too much if you need to buy grease/oil by pounds and quarts that's not even intended for firearms :lol: Surprised you didn't rub all the finish off cleaning them so much!

TFin04
07-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Some of ya'll clean your guns waaaay too much if you need to buy grease/oil by pounds and quarts that's not even intended for firearms :lol: Surprised you didn't rub all the finish off cleaning them so much!

Nowhere did I mention cleaning, just grease. There is a difference. When a lifetime supply costs $2 I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

Joeywhat
07-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm still using the little bit of grease that's stuck to the lid...haven't even had to break into the bulk of it yet.

Better then paying $10 for something that only lasts a year.

ericcbeckett
07-14-2009, 04:55 PM
I also use the red Mobile Synthetic Wheel Bearing Grease.

Samurai Jack
07-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Everyone posts grease threads but nobody ever posts pictures of "proper" application of grease. Sooooo how about some pics of the correct application on said firearms.:razz:

Brian
07-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Everyone posts grease threads but nobody ever posts pictures of "proper" application of grease. Sooooo how about some pics of the correct application on said firearms.:razz:

+1

Where and why???

Joeywhat
07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
For me I just put it on the rails. For a handgun that should be pretty easy to see. Just enough for a light film, don't need to cake it on. For an AR there's four rails on the BCG if you look closely. Put the grease there. I also take the bolt out of the carrier and put a light film on it as well, just wear it makes contact with the carrier (NOT the gas rings).

TFin04
07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Put a light coat of grease where you find shiny metal contact points.

Armed citizen
07-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Wow never thought of that, heck I've been using 3-in-1 oil or Remington oil all these years.:clap:

_DK_
07-15-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm not buying the grease... I found it. We have buckets of other stuff around here. So this will never get used. I need to repack the wheel bearings on my bike so I figured I'd grab some.

I saw how Todd greased my XD when he was done with it and wondered if this grease would work in firearm applications as it's not noted that way on the spec.

Roundballer
07-15-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm not buying the grease... I found it. We have buckets of other stuff around here. So this will never get used. I need to repack the wheel bearings on my bike so I figured I'd grab some.

I saw how Todd greased my XD when he was done with it and wondered if this grease would work in firearm applications as it's not noted that way on the spec.
I had to go and read the spec's in your first post before I could formulate an opinion. My opinion is that any grease that rated high enough temperature for wheel bearings with disc brakes will work well on a fire arm, and that grease is so rated. This type of grease should also work well in extreme low temp conditions, which is also a concern when an additional "buffer" on moving parts is not desired. Again, my opinion, and my reasons for it.

pgaplayerless
07-15-2009, 09:14 AM
I had to go and read the spec's in your first post before I could formulate an opinion. My opinion is that any grease that rated high enough temperature for wheel bearings with disc brakes will work well on a fire arm, and that grease is so rated. This type of grease should also work well in extreme low temp conditions, which is also a concern when an additional "buffer" on moving parts is not desired. Again, my opinion, and my reasons for it.

Those types of grease are organic, alas they thicken with cold temperatures. What might be acceptable thickening in wheel bearings will certainly cause problems in firearms. Synthetic grease is what's needed in extremely low temps.

Joeywhat
07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Take your guns out past -40*, eh?

pgaplayerless
07-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Take your guns out past -40*, eh?

And you know how engine oil behave when saturated with gun powder residue in extremely low temps how?

Joeywhat
07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't...because for some reason it doesn't go below 0* around here too often.

Guess I should move to Northern Alaska to find out.

pgaplayerless
07-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't...because for some reason it doesn't go below 0* around here too often.

Guess I should move to Northern Alaska to find out.

Well I personally rather not assume that organic oil/grease not designed for firearm application will not cause problems in winter temperatures. I rather know when my life depends on it.

TheTrainingTeamCPL
07-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Well I personally rather not assume that organic oil/grease not designed for firearm application will not cause problems in winter temperatures. I rather know when my life depends on it.

Thats why you test the gear that you run, so you know...

Joeywhat
07-15-2009, 11:49 AM
It's too bad I don't have a range in my backyard...I'd through my Glock in the freezer for a few hours to show it'll still work. Freezer is -10*, BTW...

pgaplayerless
07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Thats why you test the gear that you run, so you know...

I guess..... i rather spend $10 on tube of synthetic grease that I know will work rather then waste the time and hundreds of rounds of ammo while freezing my butt off to test $2/lb wheeling bearing grease. :lol:

pgaplayerless
07-15-2009, 11:52 AM
It's too bad I don't have a range in my backyard...I'd through my Glock in the freezer for a few hours to show it'll still work. Freezer is -10*, BTW...

Got a basement? :lol:

TFin04
07-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I guess..... i rather spend $10 on tube of synthetic grease that I know will work rather then waste the time and hundreds of rounds of ammo while freezing my butt off to test $2/lb wheeling bearing grease. :lol:

Some of us run our guns hard all year round. "Testing" just means our typical range sessions. There is nothing wrong with the cheap grease at winter temps.

Joerockhead
07-16-2009, 12:16 AM

I read an article in a Glock Autopistol Magazine a while back. It said the Danish Special Forces, use Glock 20 (10mm) pistols on their long-range reconnaissance
missions. They travel by Dog-Sled along the Northern Part of the Greenland Coast. The unit is called the " Sirius Patrol".

You could use Whale Blubber on a Glock and it will still work !!!!!!!!!!

_DK_
07-16-2009, 06:28 AM
I had figured the tread would go south... Going to close it as my question was answered. Looks like it should work as a slide grease for me.

I'll wait for the global warming to cause the next ice age then I'll worry about whether or not the grease will work for me in sub zero conditions :D