PDA

View Full Version : **CANCELED** MGO Charity Motorcycle run

Cherokee
07-22-2009, 11:34 PM
MGO Motorcycle Run

Date: Aug 8th....Time: Noon
( Please show up a little early. We would like to be leaving the parking lot at Noon )

Meeting Place: M-59 and US23 ( Hartland )
( Parking lot to be determined )

We will ride to Bay City and return to Hartland. Total run of 150 miles

We will make a pit stop at Mt. Morris Rd ( I-75 exit 126 ) both on the way up and on the way back. This will give those of us who are old, a butt break. I believe there is a Marathon or Mobil station right at the exit we can stop at.

Stop at UNO's in Bay City for a late lunch:
http://uno.know-where.com/pizzeria/cgi/selection?state-map=MI&mapid=US&lang=en&design=default&country=US&region_name=Michigan&region=&place=&map.x=384&map.y=230

We are going to raise money for both MGO.org and www.PVA.org ( Paralized Veterans of America )

Here is how the fund raiser works.
You download and print out this file ( wordpad file ):
http://www.jim-ross.com/MGO_Charity_Run.rtf

You ask a few people to sponsor you on this run. They sponsor by pledging .xx amount per mile ridden.
Examples of pledges ( based on 150 miles ):
.03 cents per mile = $4.50 / .05 cents per mile = $7.50 / .10 cents per mile = $15.00

They can sponsor either or both charities. Checks are to be written out to the charity of thier choice, directly. MGO will send in the checks to PVA.org. If they want to sponsor both charities, they need to write down .xx cents for each charity. At the start of the run, you turn in the checks you collected along with your signup sheet to me and I will make sure they get turned in to the proper person here on MGO.

Besides PVA being a great org. to raise money for, it will allow you to ask those person's who might other wise be turned off by thier money going to a gun org.

I would like to see everyone get at least 1 sponsor for each charity.

Please post here and let us know who's in for this ride!

PS:
Normally, you wouldn't collect the sponsor checks until after the ride. To make this as easy as possible, we are doing this one on the honor system and collecting the checks when the sponsor signs up.

Cherokee
07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
The route is simple:

US-23 N
I-75 N to exit 126 ( pit stop )
Continue on I-75 to exit 164 ( M-13 ).
M-13 about 1/2 mile to next exit, Wilder rd.
Right on Wilder to UNO's grill.

Same route in reverse for the return trip.

johnzilla
07-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Is having one or more sponsors a requirement to ride?

Can non-MGO members ride as guests of MGO members who are riding?

Cherokee
07-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Is having one or more sponsors a requirement to ride?

Can non-MGO members ride as guests of MGO members who are riding?

No, you dont HAVE to have a sponsor. But the idea is to raise a little cash for a charity ( wether it be MGO or PVA ). Even a $5 donation from the member themselves would be helpful.

If the person is a guest of an MGO member, why not?

MICPL
07-23-2009, 10:30 AM
I will support 2 riders and give a $5 donation to each org (i wish it could be more).I fully support the PVA and everything they do. what do I have to do to get the money to you/them?

Cherokee
07-23-2009, 10:40 AM
I will support 2 riders and give a $5 donation to each org (i wish it could be more).I fully support the PVA and everything they do. what do I have to do to get the money to you/them?

Thank you for your support!

I guess wait and see if any riders live close to you were you could drop off a check to them, or maybe we could burden NickS some more and make arrangements. I'll check on the NickS idea.

sprink
07-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I think I am in.

Have you tied the event to this offer from UNO's? http://www.unos.com/fund.html

Cherokee
07-23-2009, 08:50 PM
I think I am in.

Have you tied the event to this offer from UNO's? http://www.unos.com/fund.html

No. I dont think we'll have that much in dinner receipts.

I have already suggested a MGO benifit dinner at UNO's for a later date.

Cherokee
07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Wow. We had 30+ bikers interest when I did the poll. Only 2 possibles now?

Scoop
07-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow. We had 30+ bikers interest when I did the poll. Only 2 possibles now?I was interested in participating (when you did the poll), but when I saw the route and realized that 95% of it was nothing more than straight concrete slab, I decided against it.

I love to ride, that's for sure. And I love to help charities. But I don't like spending 95% of my ride perfectly perpendicular to the ground and in a straight line.

Cherokee
07-24-2009, 10:48 AM
I tried to get the max miles in the shortest time period. I had to consider many riders might have to ride 1 to 3 hours, just to get to the start. The ride itself will most likely consume close to 4 hours ( including lunch and 2 stop's )

johnzilla
07-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Count me in.

Cherokee
07-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Canceling run due to lack of everyone's interest.

Edit to include " everyones "

sprink
07-27-2009, 03:59 PM
What made you lose interest?

Cherokee
07-27-2009, 04:46 PM
As stated, lack of interest ( 3 people ( including myself )). I did a poll before starting this project, to make sure I would get some kind of turn out. People are now, not interested. So be it.

sprink
07-27-2009, 04:49 PM
OK then, so be it. Nice.

Cherokee
07-27-2009, 04:56 PM
OK then, so be it. Nice.

Not my fault people changed thier minds and not step up. It's not worth MY time for 3 people ( including myself ). I have to ride 3+ hours to get there, ride the 4 hour run and ride 3+ hours back home. I can accomplish as much or more if I write PVA a check myself and find something else to do with my weekend.

If your not happy, how about stepping up and do one yourself?

sprink
07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
I went on both of the previous "rides".

The first had a good turnout.

The second, only two (including me), but I made sure we went anyway and we had a nice ride.

We didn't do it for charity though. Write your check and stay home then.

Cherokee
07-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Dont get me wrong. I appreciate you and John stepping up for the ride. But I wasnt doing this just for fellowship. I created a start point that catered to more of you down-staters, in hopes of a somewhat decent turn out. It just isnt happening, I cant make those who voted in the poll, ride. I personally, am not going to ride 10+ hours for just a few bucks to my favorite charity. On my little bike, 10 hours is a chore, not a pleasure. Hence I'll just write a check to PVA and find something else to do with my time.

Again, if you want to take this over, be my guest. Maybe you'll get a better turn out.

sprink
07-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Dont get me wrong. I appreciate you and John stepping up for the ride. But I wasnt doing this just for fellowship. I created a start point that catered to more of you down-staters, in hopes of a somewhat decent turn out. It just isnt happening, I cant make those who voted in the poll, ride. I personally, am not going to ride 10+ hours for just a few bucks to my favorite charity. On my little bike, 10 hours is a chore, not a pleasure. Hence I'll just write a check to PVA and find something else to do with my time.

Again, if you want to take this over, be my guest. Maybe you'll get a better turn out.

Turn out will be low for just about anything planned on this board. We are spread out across a big area and most have lives outside MGO. Hell look how few people could make the annual meeting. You should not be discouraged from trying to get something going. We have found it is very hard to get a date/place/time that works for everyone.

This wasn't the first "non event". Sorry if I sounded pissy, but I thought you gave up too easy.

Maybe another time.....

Peace.