PDA

View Full Version : Short draw length

Missahba
08-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Funnienst thing happened. My 11 year old son's bow shrunk on him since last year! Has anyone else had the experience with their kids' stuff?

Question is, can I put a release loop, or whatever it's called, on the string, that is a little long, to make up the difference? Just to get another year out of the bow?

protectionisamust
08-06-2009, 03:42 PM
You can try that, but his anchor point will be way off affecting accurancy IMO. Some Bows have an adjustment by the cams that will increase draw length.

You might want to check that or they may be able to put a new string on it cheaper than buying a new bow.

Done Deal
08-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Like was mentioned, the loop doesn't add much but maybe a different release might. I dunno if that is the way I would want to go though for hunting but, just for practice it might not be a bad stretch your dollars. Ya better make sure he has a forearm guard just in case...

maddog3241
08-08-2009, 11:01 PM
I used to work part time in an archery shop, several years ago, and to get the weight of a bow down, we used to put a shorter string them. Its what I did with my kids bows, when they got older I put the original back on them, and the weight went back up to the 40-50 # draw that they were supposed to be. A longer string, maybe an inch longer is all I would go, might also add a bit of draw weight as well. I would check with someone that actually knows though, as you dont want to blow the limbs up on the boy. :) Good luck...

AMG08
08-13-2009, 09:16 AM
I used to work part time in an archery shop, several years ago, and to get the weight of a bow down, we used to put a shorter string them. Its what I did with my kids bows, when they got older I put the original back on them, and the weight went back up to the 40-50 # draw that they were supposed to be. A longer string, maybe an inch longer is all I would go, might also add a bit of draw weight as well. I would check with someone that actually knows though, as you dont want to blow the limbs up on the boy. :) Good luck...
you can do this on some of the older bows, but the newer ones, with the cams the way they are, is not advisable. check to make sure there is no more adjustment. if you are not sure, take it into an archery shop (not gander, bass pro, cabelas) and have them take a look at it.

better yet, if you tell me what kind of bow it is, i may be able to help you without you having to go anywhere.

maddog3241
08-13-2009, 09:22 AM
you can do this on some of the older bows, but the newer ones, with the cams the way they are, is not advisable. check to make sure there is no more adjustment. if you are not sure, take it into an archery shop (not gander, bass pro, cabelas) and have them take a look at it.

better yet, if you tell me what kind of bow it is, i may be able to help you without you having to go anywhere.
I should have said that in my post... To take it somewhere... Sorry for that.. Good catch AMG. Have a great day..