PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow

JohnJak
08-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Hello Hunters. Which is the best most economical $$ cross bow for the money? My hunting partner and I want to get into crossbow deer hunting.

Sargeyork
08-14-2009, 07:26 PM
What's the rush?:poke:

greenjg
08-15-2009, 07:45 AM
You usually get what you pay for, but I just purchased one for 349. from On Target in Kal. I got the scope. It is 150 lbs pull so I got the assist. Two handles and two pulleys, cuts the pull to 75 lbs. It is right on out to 50 yards! If the deer body covers three bars I use the top line, covers 2 1/2 lines the 2nd line, covers 2 lines 3rd line to shoot. Shot 40 times and all were within a 11 inch wide area. That includes offhand at 50 yards.

JohnJak
08-15-2009, 08:02 AM
You usually get what you pay for, but I just purchased one for 349. from On Target in Kal. I got the scope. It is 150 lbs pull so I got the assist. Two handles and two pulleys, cuts the pull to 75 lbs. It is right on out to 50 yards! If the deer body covers three bars I use the top line, covers 2 1/2 lines the 2nd line, covers 2 lines 3rd line to shoot. Shot 40 times and all were within a 11 inch wide area. That includes offhand at 50 yards.
What brand?

greenjg
08-16-2009, 05:33 PM
I purchased a Barnett Wildcat C5.

mechredd
08-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Believe it or not the Crosman Teton has gotten excellent reviews for an entry level crossbow that comes with a starter kit.

BullPup Adict
08-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I bought a 10 point pro ultra last year from an estate sale. It shoots 4 to5 inch groups at 50 yds. It has all the bells, whistles and silencers but it is still QUITE LOUD compared to my old warthog magnum compound.

It would be perfect if it was QUIETER!

Bull

Llynn
08-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Excalibur Ibex here. Simple recurve, thumbhole stock, lifetime warranty, #175, extremely accurate with a GT Laser II arrow, 401 gr. 297 fps, 71 KE. Perfect for deer hunting and you don't need a press to change the string. I'm prejudiced of course. My husband has the TenPoint HLX. I had to give up my compound after 37 years. Crossbow is a hoot to shoot, tho.

Laura
Ruger Super Blackhawk
Ruger M77 MII .243
Beretta Silver Snipe O/U
Excalibur forums
Crossbownation.com

Passport
08-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I looked at a few when the laws first changed and shot a few, kinda left shaking my head. There SUPER loud and I was not impressed but the accuracy.

From what I shot/saw I dont plan of giving up my bow any time soon.....

Paul G. Jahn
09-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Any good web sites to get info on cross bows? My compound is old and I'd like to do some research before I buy. Maybe wait for January of 2010. What is the energy number used in an earlier post? Can you take a deer at 50 yards? Had a sales guy at a bow shop tell me 30 yards max, not sure I believe him.

Groo
09-20-2009, 12:46 AM
you could always go the Macaulay Culkin "The Good Son" way with a leaf spring and a hand crank winch if you want to save a few bucks.

wadevb1
09-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Parker is the best bang for the buck and American made. I was shooting their Spartan model yesterday and it was impressive for under $500.

Tenpoint and Bowtech are American made as well but are expensive and high quality.

I have a Bowtech Strykeforce on order.

Skinner 2
09-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Any good web sites to get info on cross bows? My compound is old and I'd like to do some research before I buy. Maybe wait for January of 2010. What is the energy number used in an earlier post? Can you take a deer at 50 yards? Had a sales guy at a bow shop tell me 30 yards max, not sure I believe him.

Crossbow are very loud and the deer will react to them. Many people who ahve used crossbow for years will tell you 30 to 35 yards max. After that the deer is moving and may account for a miss or worse wound.

The energy number stated above is the Kinetic Energy developed from the arrow and it's speed.

Skinner

RSF
09-23-2009, 07:53 AM
then can be hushed

as for thsoe whom claim lousy accuracy they cant shoot or are looking at the wrong ones

excaliber darton and ten point i have stacked arrows with each one out to 30 + yards

also under the current rule the stryker is a no no you would need a 600 grain bolt which means a 200 grain broadhead to make legal fps in MI

wadevb1
09-23-2009, 09:42 AM
then can be hushed

as for thsoe whom claim lousy accuracy they cant shoot or are looking at the wrong ones

excaliber darton and ten point i have stacked arrows with each one out to 30 + yards

also under the current rule the stryker is a no no you would need a 600 grain bolt which means a 200 grain broadhead to make legal fps in MI

Actually it's the Strykeforce at 385 FPS but is slowed down at 350FPS with a bolt/broadhead combination of 550 grains. The Stryker is the 405FPS model.

Quality crossbows are accurate as hell.

moosefisher
09-23-2009, 02:39 PM
I have been hunting in Michigan with a crossbow since the disability law allowed me to. I use a Barnette RC 300. It shoots over 300fps. I have shot many deer with it out to 45 yards. I would not shoot that far, but it was a bad distance judgement by me. In my 15 years or so hunting with a crossbow, I have only shot deer off of the ground. I found that a Buck Blaster broadhead works the best. It has 6 stationary blades, and 3 expanding blades. That brings the total up to 6 blades. VERY DEADLY. It cuts a 2 3/4" hole. I've only not recovered 1 deer I shot. All the rest went less then 40 yards except 1. Barnette is the best bang for your dollar. I've taken about 20 deer with it. This is only my opinion with 15 years experience.
Good Shooting, MOOSE

RSF
09-23-2009, 03:26 PM
ahh stykeforce my bad i missed that i had a styker

Pistol Teacher
09-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I shot a 10-point crossbow today this is a great crossbow. Very reasonable prices.

Call Bob's Crossbows
(810) 513-3727

mechredd
09-23-2009, 03:45 PM
I shot one about a month ago and was very surprised at how much it felt like a spring piston air gun. You can actually use the same shooting techniques for both. The rep I was talking to is also into air gunning, and he was telling me that shooting an sp airgun and a crossbow are very similar. You use the same hold, they have the same recoil, and feel identical to shoot. The main difference is ballistics. A pellet tends to fly decently flat, while a bolt doesn't. I really want to try crossbow hunting now.

pilot22
09-24-2009, 12:18 AM
I have a Horton Dakota SL . Went to their website www.hortonmfg.com in their frequently asked questions. It says that their accuracy is good to 40 yards. But I was practicing with mine today at 50 yards and was doing fair with a 12 inch group. I think if it was a big buck, and the shot was clear i would go for it. Good luck Deer hunters.

russianblood
10-15-2009, 09:35 PM
I just got an Eastman Outdoors X-Force 500 LX. I got a great deal on it! I always said if Michigan allows scoped inline muzzleloaders during muzzleloading season they should allow crossbows during bow season. And now they have so I bought one. I've just started to get it sighted in. I need to get a bag target as the bolts completely penetrate my son's block target to within a few inches of the fletchings. The nice thing is I'll be able to hunt deer in my back yard now. I'm rural but too close to other houses for firearms use.

Done Deal
10-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I The nice thing is I'll be able to hunt deer in my back yard now. I'm rural but too close to other houses for firearms use.

You mean shoot deer in your back yard don't you?

Also, there is no difference in the safety zone between firearms and X guns.

russianblood
10-16-2009, 12:15 PM
It's not the safety zone but the noise I'm concerned about. And as for the difference between 'hunting' and 'shooting' I should just call it harvesting a pest as the deer are rather destructive where I live. At least it won't go to waste like they do when they become road kill.

Done Deal
10-17-2009, 04:59 AM
It's not the safety zone but the noise I'm concerned about. And as for the difference between 'hunting' and 'shooting' I should just call it harvesting a pest as the deer are rather destructive where I live. At least it won't go to waste like they do when they become road kill.

I know what you mean. I never saw a hair last night until I got up to the house and they were in the yard. My neighbors dump the apples nearby so they can watch deer and then they wonder why we have all sorts of things eaten (my entire garden this year). I have asked them not to do it (the other neighbor put his blind between the woods and the apples they dump) but they don't seem to get it.

Government beef is good....and the cross bow might just make it a little easier to snipe one.

bills231
02-18-2012, 11:23 AM
the horton vision is the only way to go in my opionion. very quite super fast. i took 2 deer this year with it and i bought it brand new for 599.00 including shipping.comes with 3 bolts and a quiver. you cant go wrong with this set up.

TomE
02-18-2012, 11:46 AM
3 seasons later, he might have made his decision by now.

wadevb1
02-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Wyvern is a crossbow guru. Give him a call and express your needs and he can set you up. ArcheryTalk.com has an informative crossbow section. Wyvern frequesntly posts there and is highly respected.

http://www.wyverncreations.com/

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=46

mjerickson
02-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Check out the Achery and Crossbow section on Michigan Sportsmans Forums there is alot of good info there. I personally will be going with the Excaliber, but Ill let you draw your own conclusions. Also check out Grand Valley Sporting goods web site they have a few good videos about choosing a crossbow and bolts. Here is another site that has good information and pretty good prices.

www.wyverncreations.com

good luck

sparkman10mm
02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Wyvern is a crossbow guru. Give him a call and express your needs and he can set you up. ArcheryTalk.com has an informative crossbow section. Wyvern frequesntly posts there and is highly respected.

http://www.wyverncreations.com/

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=46
I have been shooting TenPoints for about 15 years....Tier 1...Top shelf CS.

Plus 10 for Wyverns...David is the man when it comes to crossbows.

Currently shooting the TenPoint Stealth XLT..185 lb. 327fps.

TomE
02-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Does Ten Point make everything that goes into their product?

Johnny Reb
03-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Horton reverse limb crossbows? I am in the market for one and am intruigued by how narrow they are. The Fury and Havoc have my interest peaked.

ltcnav
03-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Look for American Archery Supply on the net. I just bought an Excalibur Ibex on sale, bow and all accessories(arrows-bonus of 7 arrows),quiver, scope,string cocker, field tips-package for $519, plus a deal for a case, free shipping. Have looked at prices extensively and this is guaranteed the best price available.
They are in Georgia, I think.
Did the deal on the phone, very helpful.
Jerry

right2bear
03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Can't say enough good things about Horton:thup:

hwisdom
04-25-2012, 09:17 PM
I am not that versed with bows but a simple wooden and curved bow would be fit already.

There are some people who use a crossbow with a tied piece of rope on the end for fishing and while that would be great, it was really tough to control.

Not sure how they would pull it off but that would work if you are hunting for the bigger species of fish, I suppose.

Dansjeep2000
04-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Love my Parker, very good bow for the money.