PDA

View Full Version : SLR15 Armorer's Class - thumbs up

johnzilla
08-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Just wanted to post a :thumbup: for Defensive Edge SLR15's AR-15 Armorer class.

The first day was today...tons of good material. Probably nothing new to the pros here but for rifle building newbs like me it was excellent. Subjects covered today were history, basic operations, tools, solvents and lubricants, the BCG and the lower receiver including stock.

24 hours ago I was pretty anxious about taking my rifle apart or building a new one, now I would not be worried doing it anywhere even with minimal tools.

Tomorrow will be more lower receiver, upper receiver, barrel, muzzle and front sight. Should be good.

The class comes around from time to time according to the instructor. Here is more info:

http://www.slr15.com/armorercourses.html#AR15M16armorer

All tools, solvents, lubricants, etc are included. Not to take home, but to use during class. All you need to bring is your rifle and the urge to take it apart and see what makes it tick. Mine is a lefty Stag (2TL) and the instructor made sure to check that I was following along even though everything he said was reversed for me. Couldn't ask for more.

Like I said, not sure if there is enough there for anyone who considers themselves very experienced, but for anyone else especially people who haven't taken a rifle apart (or any gun) down to its component parts and always wondered if they could do it and get the gun back together again, this is the class.

chewy
08-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Cool... ask them when their next class in this area will be... either open or LE only. :)

DetroitBiker
08-22-2009, 10:05 PM
AR15/M16 Armorer - October 19 & 20, 2009 - Hosted by Lakewood Police Department - LE Only $350 http://www.slr15.com/calendar.html

chewy
08-22-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm thinking something less than 2 hour drive away.

DetroitBiker
08-22-2009, 10:12 PM
" If anyone would like to host one please contact us to make arrangements, all we need is a suitable classroom for a course. The host gets a minimum of 2 complimentary spots."

Found this on there site,Maybe if we had enough people here at mgo interested.We could get them to come back sooner. I would be interested myself.

Joeywhat
08-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I would like to go to one of these as well. I missed out on this one I really wanted to go.

uno_eye
08-22-2009, 10:18 PM
" If anyone would like to host one please contact us to make arrangements, all we need is a suitable classroom for a course. The host gets a minimum of 2 complimentary spots."

Found this on there site,Maybe if we had enough people here at mgo interested.We could get them to come back sooner. I would be interested myself.

Im pretty sure i could provide a spot. It would have to be before Mid november and or end of march. I will figure it out and send a E-mail.

johnzilla
08-22-2009, 10:33 PM

This was brought up in class today. They'd want a commitment of at least 10 paid spots. They can do more than 10, but that's what they need to hold a class due to travel costs, supplies, etc.

Our class this weekend has 11 people, 1 instructor. One point to consider is there needs to be plenty of room for each student since the whole class involves flipping your rifle around, pointing it, repeated function checks, room to lay out tools and other supplies, room for the manual, room to dodge flying detent springs ( ;) ), etc.

A tiny classroom with 10 people bumping ARs into each other for 8-9 hours would not be fun. :)

If we can get it organized we should definitely try to get them back. They also do Glock-like and shotgun armorer's courses.

uno_eye
08-22-2009, 10:38 PM
This was brought up in class today. They'd want a commitment of at least 10 paid spots. They can do more than 10, but that's what they need to hold a class due to travel costs, supplies, etc.

Our class this weekend has 11 people, 1 instructor. One point to consider is there needs to be plenty of room for each student since the whole class involves flipping your rifle around, pointing it, repeated function checks, room to lay out tools and other supplies, room for the manual, room to dodge flying detent springs ( ;) ), etc.

A tiny classroom with 10 people bumping ARs into each other for 8-9 hours would not be fun. :)

If we can get it organized we should definitely try to get them back. They also do Glock-like and shotgun armorer's courses.

I will send them a Email when i get home from work tomorrow.

The place i can offer has plenty of room and plenty of tables for everyone.

I really want to take the course so i am gonna push for it.

johnzilla
08-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I will send them a Email when i get home from work tomorrow.

The place i can offer has plenty of room and plenty of tables for everyone.

I really want to take the course so i am gonna push for it.

Sounds great! :thumbup:

uno_eye
08-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Im thinking the spring time might be a little better since they were just here. I have a couple friends that would take the class and with a little advo here i dont think 10 would be a problem at all.

Ill send a Email and when i get a response and share the results.

KD8JUV
08-23-2009, 09:44 PM
uno_eye,
Please do keep us updated as I am interested also.

Thanks,
Greg/KD8JUV

davemcf89
08-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks a lot for the info