PDA

View Full Version : Broadheads, which do you use?

OpenSights
08-23-2009, 02:28 PM
This will be my first bow season and have everything but broadheads and need advice. A friend used the Rage last year and said he didn't like it, but I've also heard a lot of people say they're the best. Right now I'm looking at some three blade Trophy Ridge Rocket Meat Seekers, 1 1/2" cut, 3 for $20 shipped. Are these any good? If not what would you reccomend, my budgit is kinda low right now.
Thanks.

DOUGHBOY RACING
08-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I love the 125 GR Thunderheads check these out as well
http://www.newarchery.com/

cmr
08-23-2009, 03:00 PM
It depends if you want a fixed broadhead or if you want a mechanical broadhead.
For fixed, plenty of good ones out there. Muzzy, Magnus, Slick Tricks, etc.
For mechanical- Spitfires, Tekan, Steelheads, etc....

But I would highly recommend making sure your bow is properly tuned and then go shoot some BH's and then see what you group.

dooman
08-23-2009, 06:09 PM
I shoot G5 montecs, they are tough as nails, 2 deer and 1 coyote with the same broadhead. I just resharpen them after I shoot, they are well balanced and shoot almost the same as my field points. A big hole is not as important as where the hole is.

OpenSights
08-23-2009, 06:29 PM
I just picked up my bow from Lifford's yesterday, had them go through it, got it squared, new peep sight, loop, waxed, ect. Nice guys there! I'm mostly looking for a expanding broadhead in the 100gr flavor. Thats what I'm shooting for field points.
Man there are so many differant ones out there! Looked up all suggested so far, Thanks!

BuckHunter
08-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Try Rage 2 Blade 100 grain, I've shot three Bucks with them and they cause massive bleeding. They fly pretty damn close to a field tip as well, one of my Bucks was at 38 yards and the arrow hit right where I was aiming. If the arrow exits you will get a 2 inch slice out the back of the deer.

protectionisamust
08-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Go with a fixed 3 bladed broadhead (Thunderhead 100 gr. or 125 gr).

I'm have arrowed close to 30 deer with these and have never been disapponted. Last deer I shot, the thunderhead blew right through
the front shoulder and into the heart.

I don't think a rage would go through bone like that, JMO.

josey wales
08-23-2009, 07:48 PM
i've shot deer with thunderheads,muzzy's and G5's with great success.2 years ago i switched to the rage 2 blade and love them,its leaves a serious gash going in and out.i have no problem with shoot thru's every arrow has exited and stuck in the ground.i think they fly the straightest of all the broadheads i've shot.which ever you choose remember you get what you paid for cheap broadheads are usually cheap for a reason.

TheTrainingTeamCPL
08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
+1 for Rage 2 blades.

Just A Girl
08-23-2009, 08:27 PM
I shoot the Muzzy 3 blade fixed. Has been super reliable. . . if I ever think I need to switch . . I think I would first look at Montec G5 3 blade fixed.

Done Deal
08-24-2009, 07:08 AM
I was a Wasp fan for years and switched to G-5's with one year off using Crimson Talon (don't go there).

I have seen lots of bucks with Rage holes in them but....those deer were hanging or in the back of a truck. They seem to do a helluva job and in some cases, Heaven forbid, compensated for hits that I would not want to have made.

If you blow a hole in one side and out the other....and the hit is where it is supposed to be....you are going to kill the deer and should recover it as well.

Like somebody said though....steer clear of cheap broadheads.

Edit for link on spinning broadheads http://www.keystone-sports.com/crimson_talon_review.html

sse
08-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Here's what I'm going to use if I can figure out how to put a sharp edge on 'em.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/jwv/IMG_0415.jpg

Toledo Kid
08-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Razorbak 3, 4 or 5. The Worlds only cut on contact broadhead with rotating technology

These thing are like a drill!!! Slicing, punching a hole in every hide/bone from woolly sheep, elk , bear to elephant like butter.

Take them apart. Clean up the burrs on the broadhead shaft. Oil lightly so they free spin fast then they are the most accurate effective killing broadhead available by far none!!!

CnA
08-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Razorbak 3, 4 or 5. The Worlds only cut on contact broadhead with rotating technology

These thing are like a drill!!! Slicing, punching a hole in every hide/bone from woolly sheep, elk , bear to elephant like butter.

Take them apart. Clean up the burrs on the broadhead shaft. Oil lightly so they free spin fast then they are the most accurate effective killing broadhead available by far none!!!

"Rotating Technologly" Yea right. :rofl:

Just another one of the hundreds of silly gimmicks designed to separate the money from your wallet.

OpenSights
08-24-2009, 07:21 PM

Those look kinda interesting, I notice they are fixed blade and see a lot of you say to go fixed blade. Yes I have heard about cheap broad heads shattering and peices of them ending up in your next steak, so I don't want to buy cheap ones, but don't really want to spend $40 on a set of three.

The ones that I found (ones stated in the OP), the seller clames they are new just half price due to the fact they arn't in factory packaging. I guess they are a dealer somewhere, but with ebay, who the heck knows.

From what everyone has said fixed seems to be the over all choice. Watching the Outdoor Channel (Which I finnaly found, ch 730 out here, like I've ever flipped that far before) I saw a new 2 blade that toggled, for a hack description, to get around bone and cause a bunch of dammage. Forgot what they were called.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to keep looking and learning.

OpenSights
08-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Here's what I'm going to use if I can figure out how to put a sharp edge on 'em.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/jwv/IMG_0415.jpg

Wow! That makes me scared just looking at it! Looks very heavy though!

piercedone
08-24-2009, 07:46 PM
+1 for the G5 monotec love the way they fly. They will put a serious hole in what you hit..

Also remember a 22 hornet is and has been a great deer poaching gun. I bring that up because it only creates a small hole put again its all about placement.

Double lung heart shot= DRT

sse
08-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Looks very heavy though!
Should be 125's. Also, someone else told me due to a soft alloy, they are quick to dull, but likewise quick to sharpen. Should be fine for whitetails.

OpenSights
08-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Should be 125's. Also, someone else told me due to a soft alloy, they are quick to dull, but likewise quick to sharpen. Should be fine for whitetails.

Now that brings up anouther question... thanks SSE for reminding me.... I have an older Hoyt super slam, probably mid-late 90's, I use 31" arrows, carbon. I'm shooting 100 gr field tips... since I have an older bow, around 250 fps'ish should I stay with 100 gr field tips and broadheads? or could I go up to 125gr? is it going to make a big differance in knock down power/ shoot through? I know a bit about guns, nothing about bows.

josey wales
08-24-2009, 08:23 PM
250 fps is more than enough for 100 gr or 125 gr broadheads.myself i go with the heavier arrow and a little less speed.i think you get better penetration over the light fast arrow.

langenc
08-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Old fashioned-Bear razorheads w/ insert. I have a dozen or so left.

Hawgrider
08-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Oh once upon a time I used to use razorback 5's oh and then for many years used what was called a wasp.... Then Most recently Ive been using those mechanical two blades that open up to 2.5 inches upon impact and leave a real nasty hole in the pump station ....just cant remember the name of them at the moment.....whats next???? oh i'll probably go back to something more traditional.

sse
08-25-2009, 01:15 PM
i'll probably go back to something more traditional.
I'm not a compound enthusiast, but it seems that half of the new stuff that comes out fizzles.

Hawgrider
08-25-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm not a compound enthusiast, but it seems that half of the new stuff that comes out fizzles.You must then be a long bow or recurve guy ?
Yeah I think that's pretty traditional for sure. I don't think I can go back that far as the ol bone and muscles wont allow it but im still using a 30 year old or better Darton SL50 from way back. It keeps killing deer and its only 50 % let off I cringe every time I draw the ol girl back waiting for those old brittle laminated wood limbs to shatter ......ouch!

sse
08-25-2009, 01:27 PM
You must then be a long bow or recure guy ?
Yup, I like the old way of doing things. The point in the pic is mounted on cedar. I'm really just a beginner, but if I can get something to come within 15yds, I wanna be ready.

Llynn
08-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Slick Tricks: fly like field tips, tough and sharp.

OpenSights
08-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Yup, I like the old way of doing things. The point in the pic is mounted on cedar. I'm really just a beginner, but if I can get something to come within 15yds, I wanna be ready.

So do you shoot instinctivley? (newby question, I know...) What kind of speed do those shoot at? I was looking at some recurves when I picked up my bow they were on sale from $550 down to $350. Nice quality looking bows! Personally I don't think I would want to hunt with them, but I bet they'd be fun to shoot.

sse
08-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Yes, that is what I do. I spent a lot of time practicing at 15 yds and developed pretty good groups. There is a benchmark book on the topic that I still need to get, which would probably help immensely. 3Rivers Archery is the supply house for all things tradtional archery.

Re-curves and semi-recurves are not to hard to find cheaper than the new ones. Folks used to tell me that when the compound bow showed up on the scene, they sold all their Bear recurves, or darn near gave them away. Since then, of course there has been a resurgence, collector interest, and people began profitting on that. Now, I think many are thinking it would be more fun and challenging to revert to the use of traditional. At the same time the prices of the older bows have moderated. Also, the longbow is gaining popularity. When you see them for sale in stores the prices seem outrageous, but the are many smaller builders who sell them very reasonably. Every spring there is a big traditional show in K'zoo that I hear does very well.

Hawgrider
08-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Yup, I like the old way of doing things. The point in the pic is mounted on cedar. I'm really just a beginner, but if I can get something to come within 15yds, I wanna be ready.Yeah that's cool for sure! What is the draw weight of your rig ? These days I can only pull about 50lbs while in the sitting position.
15 yards yep! Thats where the fun is when your that close you can count eyelashes....I haven't taken a shot over 15 yards with my setup ever! Thats where the skill and the fun is..... getting them in real close.:smile:

Southern Comfort
08-27-2009, 03:27 AM
I use a Muzzy MX3 100 gr fixed 3 blade they fly true and cut a nice hole.

bear300us
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
I use the old fashioned Bear broadheads also.I dont use the little bleeder blades an they work great.You can retrieve them from the hay bales I always had trouble practicing with diffrent broadheads they get stuck,blades fall off.

OpenSights
09-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. I was wanting to get a mechanical one, but so many used fixed, I ended up getting some off of Ebay, six titanium 4 blade fixed. There may be a down side to them as they will be hard to sharpen, but they shouldn't break apart. Not sure what size cut they are, if they arn't going to work I'll just have to get some more.

Tophe
09-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I began using Crimson Talons a couple years ago. I have only shot two deer with them so far, but neither deer made it over 100 yards, and the blood trail was unbelievable. They fly just like my field points.

JohnnieBravo
09-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I use Vortech 125's, they fly just like a field tip and have a cut dia of 2in 3/4. I dont think they make em anymore though.

TomE
09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
100grain,two blade Rage,is what I'll be using,since nobody bought or traded for my bow

OpenSights
09-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Has anyone tried Reighn, might have spelled it wrong and don't rember who they are made by, saw a comercial for them on ODC this weekend. I think they are new, seem to toggle to get aroud bone.

Groo
09-13-2009, 11:20 PM
I shoot a strong bow with arrows that probably aren't the stiffest I could have found, but I was more worried about them surviving target practice. to combat againts shaft flex, I was told to get a light broadhead.
I picked up a 6 pack of cheap 95gr (I think) broadheads from one of the bigbox places. I shot a dear, 1 blade shattered and the head shaft bent after hitting bone at least 3 times. 5 to go.

Johnson16
09-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Go with a fixed 3 bladed broadhead (Thunderhead 100 gr. or 125 gr).

I'm have arrowed close to 30 deer with these and have never been disapponted. Last deer I shot, the thunderhead blew right through
the front shoulder and into the heart.

I don't think a rage would go through bone like that, JMO.

Just picked up a 6pack of thunderheads for bear this week up north. My buddies have shot these for years and killed many a whitetail. I also have some rage, but have yet to arrow anything with them. I have a couple friends who love them though.

Can't go wrong with Muzzy either.

357MAX
09-16-2009, 03:04 PM
What I use and have absolute faith in:

compound
fixed blade:

thunderhead, g5 montec

mechanical:
G5 Tecan

recurve:
any solid 2blade head draw sharpened with a file only. bear/magnus/zwickey etc......

jcurtis
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Muzzy 3 blade 100gr.

OpenSights
09-16-2009, 06:49 PM
What I use and have absolute faith in:

compound
fixed blade:

thunderhead, g5 montec

mechanical:
G5 Tecan

recurve:
any solid 2blade head draw sharpened with a file only. bear/magnus/zwickey etc......

My arrows I bought on Ebay acme with 2 blade "American made" Broadheads, About a 3' diamiter at 20 yds. Mind you I am new with a bow and it is a compound. So far 2 blade, me no likey. Have yet to shoot the 4 blade one's I got.

357MAX
09-16-2009, 08:13 PM
My arrows I bought on Ebay acme with 2 blade "American made" Broadheads, About a 3' diamiter at 20 yds. Mind you I am new with a bow and it is a compound. So far 2 blade, me no likey. Have yet to shoot the 4 blade one's I got.

Them big 2blade heads are not really meant for a compound...I have seen them successfully used..............but it was a labor intensive battle to make it work. Hard to beat the thunderhead 100 or anything made by G5 when it comes to a wheeled bow.

mechredd
09-16-2009, 08:39 PM
I shoot G5 montecs, they are tough as nails, 2 deer and 1 coyote with the same broadhead. I just resharpen them after I shoot, they are well balanced and shoot almost the same as my field points. A big hole is not as important as where the hole is.
+1
Montecs have a reinforced design that gives them exceptional durability. They can be used time and time again, and all you need to do is a quick resharpen. With other heads, you'll need to replace the blades every few uses, but Montecs seem to last forever.

countryboy3248
09-18-2009, 08:19 PM
using the rage 3 blades...:mrgreen:

jacksdaddy06
09-28-2009, 10:23 AM
The best shooting broadhead I ever used in 30 years of bowhunting was called a Red Fury, they stopped making them years ago, but these heads flew exactly like my field points and would blow thru bone like butter, wish they still made them. Second best head is the Sonic line of broadheads, shoot just like field points, but don't stand up to bone as well.
When hunting with the Recurve I shoot cedar shafts with Magnus 125's.
Though i'm not an advocate of 2 blade heads, they are the only head I can find that flies the closest to my field points.

OpenSights
09-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Those 4 blade titanium ones I got, no go. Shot through my cheap stirafoam target and shattered. So I bought some Carbon Express mech broad heads. My buddy used them last year and shot two doe an one buck, all pass through and still working. So we'll see.

Good luck to you all this year!

PdMag
10-18-2009, 09:23 AM
I agree with JohnnieBravo. I've used Vortech 125's for about 15 years and NEVER lost a deer. I can't find them anymore so I switched to the Rage 3 blade. Shot a seven point on Oct. 4 he went 50 yards and the woods were painted "RED" (Trees had blood splatters 4 feet high). Oct. 9 shot a six point (oooh bad shot "liver"), but he only went 100-125 yards.
The only thing I Don't like about the Rage is you have to make sure the blade is seated correctly in the o-ring, but I DO like em!!

jeff52984
10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
thunderheads have used them for years

medictg
10-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts. Made in the USA, sharp as all get out, lifetime no questions asked warranty......

Autumnlovr
10-25-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm using Aftershock Maniacs, 100 grain fixed-blade broadheads. Due to shoulder problems, I've had to drop my poundage down to about 45 and don't trust mechanicals at that draw weight. I'm actually impressed with the Maniacs, they don't have a real big cutting diameter but I got my first ever pass-thru on the doe I took 10/21. She went about 20 yards, stopped, humped her back, lowered her head and keeled over.

RSF
10-25-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm using Aftershock Maniacs, 100 grain fixed-blade broadheads. Due to shoulder problems, I've had to drop my poundage down to about 45 and don't trust mechanicals at that draw weight. I'm actually impressed with the Maniacs, they don't have a real big cutting diameter but I got my first ever pass-thru on the doe I took 10/21. She went about 20 yards, stopped, humped her back, lowered her head and keeled over.

yes

myersbuck
10-29-2009, 01:31 AM
Rage 3 blade...like hitting a deer with an axe

CaptnKirk
11-02-2009, 03:01 AM
After seeing the blood trail and trying them myself, I shoot 100 gr. Slick Trick Magnums. 1 1/8" cutting diameter and they fly just like a field point. They don't plane or flutter one bit.

Captn---

HABIT
11-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Its been 70+ days and over 50 posts so I thought I would chime in . . .
I used to use what ever was cheapest when they clearanced everything out at the end of the year until I came across these TUNABLE broad heads called DEADHEAD's. It made a hell-uv-a difference in the way my arrow flew. You can put a "helli-kill" angle to the blades and help the arrow spin like the rifling on a barrel. I found them at Meijers :hide: around Christmas for about $5 for a package of 4. I've bent quite a few bouncing off shoulder bones but never had one break.
My suggestion DEADHEAD 100's and twist the blades to make them spin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-grain-Deadhead-archery-broadheads,-3-new_W0QQitemZ180419670665QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&itemid=180419670665

http://www.bowhunting.net/evaluation/001-GKF-Deadhead.html