PDA

View Full Version : Bow Pull Weights

TheSilentOne
09-02-2009, 06:26 PM
A couple guys from work and I were talking about how much weight we could pull back on a bow, and it got me wondering, what is the highest pull weight that you have seen or heard of.

fr3db3ar
09-02-2009, 06:34 PM
90 lb Oneida Eagle for me. Not mine....but could repeatedly shoot it. I know of over 100 lb long bows.....but I hunt with 54 lb longbow, 60 lb recurve and occasionally shoot my 80 lb compound.

SONDOWNER
09-02-2009, 07:14 PM
THE PULL OR DRAW ON MY CROSSBOW IS 175LB......

josey wales
09-02-2009, 07:18 PM
i shot 3-d and hunted with a martin cougar magnum set at 105 lbs for about 3years,then i came to my senses.
now i shoot a mathews switchback XT set at 75 lbs.

postban
09-02-2009, 07:25 PM
The old All Pro Archery store in Lincoln Park had a 20% Let off 110 or 120 lb bow that set the fastest bow record in 03-04 IIRC, graphite arrow at 540 fps, again recollection. The story I got was it was exploding carbon shafts on impact with a hay bale, no one else at the competition was within 100 fps.

store closed years ago, sad

That is where I got my Matthews many yrs ago.

fr3db3ar
09-02-2009, 08:30 PM
IHO arrow speed is waaaay over rated. It's all about the quiet :D

Made_in_Michigan
09-02-2009, 08:36 PM
IHO arrow speed is waaaay over rated. It's all about the quiet :D

Very true if you are hunting...

Archery has become quite a scientific endeavor anymore. Depending on your primary use of your bow, you could have conversation all day long on what is, or what is not important....

While I agree with you, my bow shoots about 300fps and is as quiet as I can get it... (not all that quiet as it is an Onida Eagle)....

...the folks who shoot competition could care less about the look/weight/size/volume of their bow sacrificing everything for consistency and accuracy.

SIDE ARM
09-02-2009, 09:08 PM
That's it! What you can shoot consistently accurate.

Groo
09-03-2009, 04:26 AM
I shoot an overtightened PSE. Its been estimated at 120 lbs with very long draw. My arrows are longest I saw and full length.

I sure noticed the difference in drop vs. my old 80 lbs Bear White Tail Hunter II.

It also has some very impressive penetration. The one time I took it hunting the arrow hit the scapula, a couple ribs and still had it touch the hide on the far side. The bow hit the roof of the shack I was in when I shot. the noise was deafening. The dear didn't have time to jump. it was at about 75'.

CnA
09-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I have my bow set at 57 lbs for an easy draw. Most of my shots are at 20 yards or less and 80% of the time I get complete pass throughs with the arrow.

I could go higher in poundage, but whats the point? How much farther in the dirt do I want to put the arrow after it passes through the deer?

Also when it's cold out, and you are shivering in the treestand after a couple of hours, your strength goes way down. I have heard many stories of guys who could not pull the bow back when a nice deer came into view.

Rootsy
09-03-2009, 09:59 AM
I pull 62# during hunting season with the Martin Cougar 2000.... For 3D I crank it down to 57 - 58#.

I don't need to pretend to be He-Man and my targets thank me when I can hit what I am aiming at because I'm not shaking after being at full draw for 3 or 4 minutes...

Macho has no place in the woods... with live targets... Continually have a lot of guys wondering how in the heck I can clean their clocks so easily with my old antique at winter leagues...

PhotoTom
09-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Moved from "General" forum

- Admin

Done Deal
09-04-2009, 08:15 AM
I pull 62# during hunting season with the Martin Cougar 2000.... For 3D I crank it down to 57 - 58#.

I don't need to pretend to be He-Man and my targets thank me when I can hit what I am aiming at because I'm not shaking after being at full draw for 3 or 4 minutes...

Macho has no place in the woods... with live targets... Continually have a lot of guys wondering how in the heck I can clean their clocks so easily with my old antique at winter leagues...

I have never heard of deer milling around discussing what the poundage was of the bow that propelled an arrow through their brother and killed his ass...have you? Dead is dead and that is all I care about---effective killing.

jacksdaddy06
09-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Fr3dB3ar, great to see another traditionalist on here. I will be spending the entire season with my 52# Bear Super Mag 48, I love shooting this little bow.
I usually split the season up between my Renegade compound and the recurve, but it's all recurve this season
I too used to have Onieda bows, loved the design and the speed. I was shooting my Aeroforce at 80#, but every year, either a limb would split or a yoke assembly would blow up, got tired of dealing with it and bought the Renegade SBD back in 01, best compound I've ever owned.
BTW, if anyone likes the Onieda design but wants a more trouble free bow, check out www.monsterbows.com, my best friend owns the company out of Brighton, sweet bows and hardly any moving parts to break.

jcurtis
09-28-2009, 10:26 AM
I had a Hoyt that was adjustable from 70-80 and I used it at 80 for a while but it was difficult in cold weather and cramped spaces so I dialed it down but it was still a pain so I sold it and got a Martin Cheetah that is set at about 63 lbs. I love this bow, haven't chronoed it but I cannot tell any speed difference and this bow is much shorter ATA and a heck of a lot smoother to draw.

protectionisamust
09-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I shoot a Mathews Switchback @ 72 lbs. Very comfortable for me.

I like shooting 70+ lbs in case you hit bone, you can still make a kill.

Hawgrider
09-28-2009, 01:07 PM
You guys sure do pull back a lot of draw weight 70 and 80 lbs thats crazy and not necessary. Ive been shooting and killing Deer For at least 25 years. Never chased em more than 50 to 75 yards...... My bow is set at about 50 lbs maybe 55 at the most.

I believe even Uncle Tedly whacks em and Stacks em using Around 50- 55 lbs

Oh Yeah I also never take a shot over 20 yards ....It part of the
skill / Challenge Dont need no 50/75 yard shots while bow hunting Geez!

protectionisamust
09-28-2009, 01:13 PM
You guys sure do pull back a lot of draw weight 70 and 80 lbs thats crazy and not necessary. Ive been shooting and killing Deer For at least 25 years. Never chased em more than 50 to 75 yards...... My bow is set at about 50 lbs maybe 55 at the most.

I believe even Uncle Tedly whacks em and Stacks em using Around 50- 55 lbs

Oh Yeah I also never take a shot over 20 yards ....It part of the
skill / Challenge Dont need no 50/75 yard shots while bow hunting Geez!

Farthest shot I've made is 55 yards, but 98% have been 20 or less. The reason I shoot 70+ lbs is if something happens and I shoot an inch or 2 forward, I have enough energy to break that front shoulder and get 8-9" penatration. Thats the only reason I shoot more is to breakbone if the arrow flys a hair off and happen to hit that front shoulder.