PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Lite Lettering

gigx
09-03-2009, 11:31 AM
I would like to hi-lite some lettering on my 22/45 blued barrel. I have seen others do this but am not sure what to use or how to do it.
Any suggestions out there? I want the ability to remove the hi-lite without damaing the original finish if possible.

Joeywhat
09-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Do you mean color in the engravings/roll marks?

If so, use a crayon. Heat up the metal with a lighter, being sure not to get it too hot...doesn't take much. DON'T USE A TORCH! Just a regular bic butane lighter. Then grab a crayon in the color of your choosing and press it onto the roll mark, spreading around the melted wax. Then throw the part in your freezer or fridge or something for a few minutes to harden the wax. Repeat as needed to fill in all the marks.

Do a little at a time, otherwise the wax will run all over the place and it won't look neat. You can remove excess wax with a piece of cardboard or rag or whatever.

gigx
09-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Do you mean color in the engravings/roll marks?

If so, use a crayon. Heat up the metal with a lighter, being sure not to get it too hot...doesn't take much. DON'T USE A TORCH! Just a regular bic butane lighter. Then grab a crayon in the color of your choosing and press it onto the roll mark, spreading around the melted wax. Then throw the part in your freezer or fridge or something for a few minutes to harden the wax. Repeat as needed to fill in all the marks.

Do a little at a time, otherwise the wax will run all over the place and it won't look neat. You can remove excess wax with a piece of cardboard or rag or whatever.

Yes, the engravings/roll marks. I can't believe that it is that easy. :doh: I want to make the phoenix on the back of the slide outlined in red. I like the crayon idea. It can easily be removed and won't damage the finish. Look out, the kids school supplies are in trouble tonight! Thanks for the tip.

gigx
09-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Worked pretty good. With a little more practice Im sure it will look better.

TomE
09-08-2009, 10:15 PM
You can clean the excess off with a oiled rag,if a wax crayon,just apply the oil and rub.If you use paint,use can use whatever solvent used to thin the paint,maybe some 24 carat gold leaf paint,just make sure the solvent wont hurt the finish by trying a hidden spot first

Mike Kelly
09-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I use a china marker. Same thing as a crayon except it's a pencil.

gigx
09-09-2009, 08:34 PM
I use a china marker. Same thing as a crayon except it's a pencil.

Good idea. I will have to get one and try it. See what works best.

mitommy
09-10-2009, 07:55 AM
for a more "permanent" application Brownellls sells Lacquer Stiks
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7778/Product/LACQUER_STIK_reg_

KD8JUV
09-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Found the Lacquer-Stick cheaper at Micro-tools (https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=L51122). I wonder if an arts and crafts or hobby shop would carry it.

Greg/Kd8JUV

Mike in Michigan
09-11-2009, 07:44 AM
I have been using paint sticks for many years to highlight lettering. I got mine from a relative in the steel industry. They use them to mark stock with batch and shipping info and they work on wet or rusty metal. They are real paint in stick form and once dried, last for years. Rub on and wipe off the excess with soft rag. Available from the big industrial suppliers like Production Tool and Grainger.

gigx
09-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I did not expect this topic to draw much attention. These are all good ideas. We have a couple of large craft stores and a tool supply company in the area. I will have to get a free couple of hours and visit them. I hope other have learned something. Thanks again.

remingtondude58
09-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I use some model paint and a toothpick. I just shake up the paint, take the cap off, then use what is in the cap, and dip the toothpick in, to apply a very small amount into the lettering, and when I make a mistake, I just scrape it off with a clean toothpick. The letters on my AR turned out very nice.

jacksdaddy06
10-05-2009, 11:29 PM
I just tried the crayon method, way easy and looks great, thanks for the tip Joey!!

gigx
10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I would like to hi-lite some lettering on my 22/45 blued barrel. I have seen others do this but am not sure what to use or how to do it.
Any suggestions out there? I want the ability to remove the hi-lite without damaing the original finish if possible.

About time I put up a pic. This is the crayon method. When I get the time I will remove the white and see how a bright red will show up.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2617/3945449417_1ea5a61b33.jpg

shurhouse
10-07-2009, 05:26 AM
High-lites using Lacquer Stik.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3419/3989958452_cdf79816f6.jpg