PDA

View Full Version : I'm a genius or How to make an adjustable fit for a holster.

firespec35
09-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Ok so this is probably general knowledge but since I'm a relative noob to this stuff. I feel pretty good right now.
I own a S&W 669. They stopped producing this gun in 1988 so needless to say model specific fit is limited to places that take 12-14 weeks to produce. So I just went and bought a cheap blackhawk IWB holster and have been using that for a few days. Well the point of a universal holster is its well... Universal. Well I got tired of the really loose retention, so I went scrounging around the house. I found some old kydex and chicago screws from a custom knife I ordered last year. The original idea was to pop a hole in the holster and use the chicago screw backed by the kydex to pinch the holster. So I went looking for tools when I found some washers that looked perfect they were 1 1/4" od and 3/8" id. I lined them up and took a 14 ga iv catheter (think really big needle) to mark the center then used a drillbit to ream out the hole. I assembled it and used 2 washers on the back and 1 on the front. Now I can hold the holster upside down and shake it 2 or 3 times before it slips. I would post pictures but I'm not sure how from my blackberry. Anyways you can vary the washers for the needed tension. Sorry if this is dumb I thought it was pretty cool

Mike in Michigan
09-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Not dumb at all.
I have done the same thing with needle and thread on leather holsters.