PDA

View Full Version : SB 0747 (2009) Allow CPL Licensee to Carry in College Class Room or Dorm

PhotoTom
09-07-2009, 11:14 PM
SB 0747 (2009) (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2009-SB-0747)
Weapons; other; concealed weapons no-carry zones; exempt college campuses. Amends sec. 5o of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425o).

Last Action: 12/8/2009 Analysis File (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2009-2010/billanalysis/Senate/htm/2009-SFA-0747-S.htm) Added

Quaamik
09-28-2009, 08:19 PM
This would be nice.

snapshotdod
10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
:scholar: students end up like this :tomato: when they should be able to :pump: the bad guy :gaga:

onmywayup
10-09-2009, 07:48 AM
It's about time on this one folks! How many recent campus shootings do we have to witness in this country before this passes? Shouldn't one have been enough?

This reminds me of a local intersection we had in Livingston county that had to see 10 or 15 really bad accidents before we finally put a traffic light at it......

EricF517
10-09-2009, 03:34 PM
It's about time on this one folks! How many recent campus shootings do we have to witness in this country before this passes? Shouldn't one have been enough?

This reminds me of a local intersection we had in Livingston county that had to see 10 or 15 really bad accidents before we finally put a traffic light at it......

But, I missed getting off the freeway and having to dodge traffic at 55mph to get home!

onmywayup
10-10-2009, 07:45 AM
But, I missed getting off the freeway and having to dodge traffic at 55mph to get home!

Good call...you're thinking of a different intersection than I was, but it DID used to be a real adrenaline rush to go from 75 miles an hour on I-96 to 0 at a stop sign to 60 again, didn't it?

durus5995
10-12-2009, 06:25 PM
So what is the next step for this bill. Does it have to be discussed some more in commitee or would this thing be up for vote anytime soon?

cwn86
10-13-2009, 12:37 AM
I hope this goes through but I don't have my hopes up....ignorance is so plentiful in the capital. But I guess it's easy not to truly listen to what other people have to say when you already know everything...

xd-40
11-19-2009, 09:03 PM
I hope this goes through but I don't have my hopes up....ignorance is so plentiful in the capital. But I guess it's easy not to truly listen to what other people have to say when you already know everything...

we've got support, BUT they're catching a lot of anti flak.
EMAIL THIS COMMITTEE TODAY. they need to hear from us.
thanks.

bsf
11-21-2009, 11:15 AM
we've got support, BUT they're catching a lot of anti flak.
EMAIL THIS COMMITTEE TODAY. they need to hear from us.
thanks.

I am guessing this bill is dead as there has been no formal action since referred to the Judiciary Committee over 3 months ago. Still, if people ever want to contact the Senate Judiciary Committee, here they are.

Senate Judiciary Committee

Wayne Kuipers (Chair)
Republican of District 30
Office Phone: (517) 373-6920
Office Location: 1005 Farnum Building
E-mail Address: SenWKuipers@senate.michigan.gov

Alan L. Cropsey (Vice Chair)
Republican of District 33
Office Phone: (517) 373-3760
Office Location: S-8 Capitol
E-mail Address: SenACropsey@senate.michigan.gov

Alan Sanborn
Republican of District 11
Office Phone: (517) 373-7670
Office Location: S-310 Capitol
E-mail Address: SenASanborn@senate.michigan.gov

Bruce Patterson
Republican of District 7
Office Phone: (517) 373-7350
Office Location: 505 Farnum Building
E-mail Address: SenBPatterson@senate.michigan.gov

Tony Stamas
Republican of District 36
Office Phone: (517) 373-7946
Office Location: 720 Farnum Building
To email go to: http://www.senate.michigan.gov/stamas

Gretchen Whitmer (Minority Vice Chair)
Democrat of District 23
Office Phone: (517) 373-1734
Office Location: 415 Farnum Building
E-mail Address: SenGWhitmer@senate.michigan.gov

Hansen Clarke
Democrat of District 1
Office Phone: (517) 373-7346
Office Location: 710 Farnum Building
E-mail Address: SenHansenClarke@senate.michigan.gov

Raymond E. Basham
Democrat of District 8
Office Phone: (517) 373-7800
Office Location: 715 Farnum Building
E-mail Address: SenRBasham@senate.michigan.gov

RCB
11-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I sure wish Indiana would get on the ball, in regards to this.

My wife has classes late at night and often gets to walk to her car by herself with not a soul around. While she has a LTCH, due to the current laws, she can't even have it in her car should she make it there safely.

Good luck, hope it makes it through for you guys.

Phreakdout
11-28-2009, 11:26 AM
^^ So true!

My daughter will be going off to school in a few years. I REALLY would like to see this passed.

While I agree that campus shooting sprees are not that common, how many students have been assaulted on campus while walking back to their dorms? If the school classrooms are restricted from carrying a weapon, then odds are the students are unarmed while walking around or living on campus. Easy prey.

I would fully support any reasonable additional requirements such as a university taught gun safety course in order to be allowed to carry on campus.

wwjmaj
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Finally received this reply from ONE of the Senators:

Hi Mark. Good to hear from you. I appreciate the time that you have taken to share your concerns with me, and I will certainly keep your support in mind when Senate Bill (SB) 747 comes before me for consideration.

Thanks again for the note!

Sincerely,

Wayne Kuipers
State Senator
30th District

sixhundredrr
12-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Finally received this reply from ONE of the Senators:

Hi Mark. Good to hear from you. I appreciate the time that you have taken to share your concerns with me, and I will certainly keep your support in mind when Senate Bill (SB) 747 comes before me for consideration.

Thanks again for the note!

Sincerely,

Wayne Kuipers
State Senator
30th District

So, Wayne notes your opinion but doesn't give his? Sounds like typical politicians.

Tallbear
12-09-2009, 06:21 AM
SB 0747 of 2009 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2009-SB-0747)
Weapons; other; concealed weapons no-carry zones; exempt college campuses. Amends sec. 5o of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425o).
Last Action: 12/8/2009 Analysis File Added

Venator12
12-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Yesterday I spoke, representing MOC, Inc., at the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on the SB-747 (Removing dorms and classrooms from the gun free zones.).

I will say there were more people in favor of the change as were most of the senators on the committee. Steven Dulan Esq. (Board member MCRGO) made a statement for MCRGO. A few citizens also made pro-gun statements ( a couple were students). Two representatives for Students for concealed carry on campus, made statementsand they were also in favor of the bill. Also an airline pilot that flies for the airline that lost two planes on 9/11 stated that since the arming of pilots there has not been a US hijacking since then.

There were two people representing universities and community colleges both....you guessed against the bill. They were almost laughed out of the room. Senator Cropsey (Committee member) torn into these guys. The Senator stated that if it was a 1st amendment issue the university would be all over it, but when it comes to the 2nd that universities want to deny people their 2A rights. The university guy couldn't really say too much after that. Another Senator also challenged one of these guys statement that this was an election year ploy. The guy apologized and said that the issue has been on the table before the election year. All in all the two senators made the guy look bad.

Since they had some members of the committee absent they put off voting on the bill.

After the meeting I talked with a few gun-rights people and handed out cards. The Monroe community college newspaper was there and will do a story and may include some of my statements. One of the anti-bill community college guys there is the president of Monroe Community College.

Below is what I read and handed to the committee members.

Dear Committee:

I am President of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. (MOC, Inc.) a Michigan Non-profit pro-gun rights organization. MOC, Inc. is in favor of rescinding all gun free zones in Michigan. They simply do not prevent crime or violence; in fact they encourage just the opposite.

Gun-free zones are killing zones. Criminals intent on harm ignore gun-free zones and see them as a place to commit their atrocities with little chance of being harmed by law-abiding citizens. Why, because law-abiding gun owners follow the law? When they do they are barred their right of self-defense. Studies have shown that lawful gun-owners are among the most law-abiding segment of society, committing fewer crimes than even law enforcement officers.

In this country the most heinous and largest mass killings occur in gun free zones i.e., schools, churches, Military Bases and Malls to name a few. What you don’t see are mass murders in gun stores, police stations and gun ranges or other places people are allowed to bear arms. What differentiates these places is that in one law –abiding citizens are denied the inalienable right to bear arms. Criminals are not going to plan an attack of mass murder in a place where people have a reasonable chance of defending themselves.

The murderous and devastating experiment of gun-free zones has run its course. They do not work. Decades of mass murders have proved this time and time again. The time has come to once again let law-abiding citizen the means necessary to take on the responsibility of defending themselves and their loved ones against evil in all public places.

Sincerely,

Brian Jeffs MS. CPG.
President-MOC, Inc.

pkuptruck
12-09-2009, 08:53 AM
thanks for your efforts! :bowdown:

keep us informed as to any movement, either way!

Tallbear
12-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for going.......

MLG
12-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Brian, Thanks for your diligence and perserverance!

M&P .40
12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks Brian. Keep us up to date.

PhotoTom
12-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Threads merged

- Admin

wwjmaj
12-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Another "nonreponse" that I find even more offensive than the first as it is obvious the Senator has not and probably will not read my email:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns and comments.

If this is a pressing matter that requires immediate attention, please call our office toll-free at (877) 252-7537 or (517) 373-7346 and we will assist you directly. If you need to fax information to us our fax number is (517) 373-9320.

Thank you very much for contacting us.

Sincerely,

State Senator Hansen Clarke

And some of you actually elected these people?

Huck88
12-19-2009, 12:59 PM
It's amazing that these politicians claim to represent the people.... even when they collect their bonuses as their working citizens loose hours or jobs.

This bill would definitely be beneficial, I've heard about a number of incidents at the schools I've been to, and those are in Dearborn. :wtf:

siglover
12-21-2009, 07:43 AM
There is a poll at the bottom of the page in the link. Vote for CC on campus!
Not saying it is going to do any good, but...........

http://www.annarbor.com/news/are-campus-gun-policies-unconstitutional-debate-on-campus-gun-bills-continues/

Soupie
12-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Geez... If this bill were to be passed, maybe I'll go back to school!

MSGT
12-22-2009, 05:22 PM
just voted 4 to 1 yes

durus5995
12-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Just voted but you know I just noticed this. Most polls I ever vote on have "yes" as the first answer and then "No" as the second. Off the top of my head this is the first poll I have seen them "backwards". I wonder why an Ann Arbor news agency would try and sway the vote by doing that?lol

stainless1911
01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
51% Y
48% N

I have contacted all of the MI house and senate members about this as well.

45/70fan
01-14-2010, 11:21 AM
This is the response I got from Jim Barcia's office:

Thank you for your inquiry on SB 747.
The bill is still in the Senate Judiciary Committee and as yet no meeting has been scheduled to address the bill. This decision will be left to the chair of the committee, Sen. Wayne Kuipers (R-Holland).

appliancebrad
01-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Kuipers is no friend of gun owners. Not an anti but no friend.

Andrew04
02-04-2010, 08:56 PM
this would be cool, we'll see what happens.

Sho
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
this would be cool, we'll see what happens.
WRONG ATTUTIDE!

We need to MAKE this happen! I'm a college student and so is my wife, she regularly has night classes since she works 9-5. I don't like pulling into a dark, rural, college campus and walking into the building to find her. Our campus has a ban on firearms, as it stands, but changing these laws can be the sway we need to change my college's policy.

allovru
02-14-2010, 03:41 PM
This definitly needs to happen!!!

My wife is currently taking night courses at a local university and has to walk a considerable distance to get back to her vehicle. Although its nice that they have emergency telephones so many feet away. This really isnt a deterence to me. I would feel alot better knowing that she could protect herself if ever needed.

Preacherboy
02-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Dear Senator Gleason,

I am writing you in regards to SB0747 a bill which is apparently still in the senate judiciary committee, chaired by Wayne Kuipers. This bill would allow concealed pistols to be carried on college campuses and in college classrooms. Currently, even with proper licensing and training we are unable to carry at colleges. My wife is a young, small, vulnerable college student. She has a CPL, but is unable to carry at college because of the current law. We are both excited that this law is even being discussed. We think passing this law would be a very important step for Michigan to take.

We are also keeping in mind the many recent campus shooting sprees, passing this law would likely put an end to these types of tragedies.

Please put some pressure on the members of the judiciary committee to get this law to a vote!

MGO community- write your senators! Don't "wait to see what happens"!

It does not take long to find out their email and shoot them one over.

Will-IB-Ready
02-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Dear Senator Gleason,

Good on you for getting involved. I've been in communication with Senator Richardville for about three months about this.

Preacherboy
02-16-2010, 11:01 AM
got a standard response email back "thanks, our constituent's opinions are important"...I tried email, next I will try written, after that phone call.

It doesn't seem like a state senator should be so busy that they have to send out a form email, but could be.

Guys, gals--talk to your elected leaders! The first time you write or call an elected official you get a little nervous, after the first time it is easy. Their job is to listen to you and if they don't work to vote them out.

jr68
02-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Let's get this thing passed! I take the bus to UofM, so I have nowhere to keep my gun during school. The net effect is that I am effectively disarmed from the moment I leave my home in the morning to when I get home at 6 or 7 pm. So, thanks to university policy, not only can I not defend myself at school, but I am also relatively helpless for the rest of my day as well. At least I can still defend myself in my home, but that's not enough! Let's do this!

YpsiMark
03-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Let's get this thing passed! I take the bus to UofM, so I have nowhere to keep my gun during school. The net effect is that I am effectively disarmed from the moment I leave my home in the morning to when I get home at 6 or 7 pm. So, thanks to university policy, not only can I not defend myself at school, but I am also relatively helpless for the rest of my day as well. At least I can still defend myself in my home, but that's not enough! Let's do this!

x2

durus5995
04-09-2010, 02:10 PM
I just sent out this email out to my representative Senator Kahn. I will post what ever response that I get. Who is on the Judiciary Committee that is considering this bill? I would like to send them this email as well.

Dear Senator Kahn,

My name is Ryan DuRussel and besides being an SVSU student I have lived in your district for all my entire life in Kochville twp. This is the first time I have ever really contacted any of my legislatures however this is the fist time I have felt strongly enough about a potential bill. If you are not familiar with Senate Bill 747 it is the bill that would allow those of us with a Concealed Pistol License or CPL to carry on a college campus or a dorm.

Some that oppose this bill say that it would turn campuses into war zones and innocent people would be hurt. They also mention that at the first sign of trouble those of us that have a CPL would "Become John Wayne and shoot first and ask questions later". I would like to share an excerpt from a police log for right on here on SVSUs campus.

The incident occurred on campus on February 20th 2010. It was published in the March 1st issued of the Valley Vanguard which is the school paper.

"A male student was arrested for assault and battery at 2:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 20.
Another young man was dropping off a female resident at Living Center Southwest when her ex-boyfriend, who also is a student, ran up to the car and tried to pull her out. The female punched the male and threw her bag, but he persisted.
The driver of the car got out and held a gun by his side. The driver had a permit for the weapon so no charges were held against him. The ex-boyfriend ran off and later was arrested."

I think this is a positive example of where weapon was used on campus to bring a peaceful end to a violent assault without firing a single shot. However, if the ex boyfriend would have choose to assault the young lady while she was further on campus where the guy dropping her off could not legally posses a concealed weapon I would hate to think what sort of tragic ending this story could of had.

I would really appreciate if this bill comes out of judiciary committee that you would give the bill full consideration and your support. I also urge to to possibly share this email with some of your colleges to help get this bill passed.

Sincerly,

Ryan DuRussel

CrimDoc
04-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Folks,

I'm working with Senator Richardville on this bill ... I'll give you an update as soon as I have a chance to speak with him.

XDM 40 cal
04-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Folks,

I'm working with Senator Richardville on this bill ... I'll give you an update as soon as I have a chance to speak with him.

Glad to see ...Keep us posted...

durus5995
04-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Well I got an email back and it was a generated generic thank you email. It says the senator might contact me with in the next week or so.

CrimDoc
04-11-2010, 10:58 PM
However, I did hear from Rep. Richard LeBlanc today (who has sponsored HB 4348 that would repeal ALL PFZs) ... he tells me that budget discussions are monopolizing the agenda right now, so it's unlikely a lot of progress will be made on firearms related bills in the near future.

:-(

XDM 40 cal
04-12-2010, 05:01 AM
However, I did hear from Rep. Richard LeBlanc today (who has sponsored HB 4348 that would repeal ALL PFZs) ... he tells me that budget discussions are monopolizing the agenda right now, so it's unlikely a lot of progress will be made on firearms related bills in the near future.

:-(

They Put alot of other bill's on hold so to speak,just for the state to find money to keep the state going....

I hope it doesnt get Cover and never given a real chance too be vote on.:usa:

CrimDoc
04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
So I heard back from Senator Richardville today.

Unfortunately, there has been no progress on the bill ... its still "stuck in committee". :-(

They Put alot of other bill's on hold so to speak,just for the state to find money to keep the state going....

I hope it doesnt get Cover and never given a real chance too be vote on.:usa:

jeepinrrt
09-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Just getting this up to the top, and reminding everyone that there is a letter writing campaign going on this week backed by Students for Conceal Carry on Campus in support of this bill. So please, Send letters if you are able.

trekkie
10-30-2011, 03:31 PM
As someone who still takes college classes, that would be nice. These pistol free areas scare the heck out of me. Nothing like advertising unarmed victims to to bad guys and psychos. It would be nice to know there are responsible gun owners carrying in these areas. I'd feel much safer.

5alarm435
10-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Is there anything in the bill that would preclude a university from preventing one of their students from CCing on campus by making it a violation of their student code of conduct?

Tallbear
10-30-2011, 04:41 PM
This is old legislation that died at the end of 2010.

Leader
10-30-2011, 04:43 PM
OP 9/7/09???