PDA

View Full Version : new to bow hunting...need help quick.

countryboy3248
09-10-2009, 07:44 AM
guys, never bow hunted a day in my life. a friend gave me a dart, and gander wanted 150 for new string and cable. so i went out and got a PSE nova, left handed. Its set up, but the draw length is too much, when i draw back with my fingers, im back to my ear.....and im gonna be using a quick relese, which puts me well behind my head.....i got a 17ft ladder stand, all my camo.....but im lost on arrows...this seems to be the most confusing thing, and nobody really offers much help on what i need to look for in arrows. ill be using carbon fiber, but as far as size? length? type of broadhead? and grain? wtf is all this? helppp!!!

fr3db3ar
09-10-2009, 09:10 AM
I'd say visit your local archery shop. If they can't or won't help you...they must not want your business very bad. Find one that has a place to shoot so you can try different arrow lengths. They should be able to shorten your draw at the same time.

remingtondude58
09-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I am sure most places can shorten your draw for you. As for arrows, I shoot 2018 aluminum's. Most arrows are to long, so to take care of this I Draw my bow and have someone else mark the arrow where it needs to be cut, then remove the insert, cut it down, and replace the insert. I know many people use carbon arrows, but I have always used aluminum. I use Thunderhead fixed blade 125 grain broad heads.

pgaplayerless
09-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Indeed visit a good archery shop. I fell out of bow hunting for past couple of years so I dont know about the latest and greatest.

The shop will adjust the draw of your bow by swaping the string. They can also adjust the draw weight if you are not comfortable with what you got.

Lenght of the arrows will have to be chopped according to your draw lenght.

Type of shaft will be sized according to the draw weight. Consult the shop

Grain of the broadhead will also depend on the draw #. Consult the shop since i dont't remember the general rule anymore.

I personally used mechanical boardheads.

Tophe
09-10-2009, 03:49 PM
:stupid:

A good archery shop should be able to hook you up..NOT Gander mountain though, find a real archery shop. They would not have sold you a bow without getting the draw length right in the first place.

Arrows...I prefer Carbon Express ....I think I have maxima 350's. They are one of the top and most expensive arrows, but shoot awesome. If they're in your budget, check em out. Otherwise stick to carbon...they are lighter, and dont bend like aluminum so they will last longer for you.

My favorite broadheads are Crimson Talon's. Look them up and check them out. They shoot strait as my field points, and leave awesome blood trails.

I personally don't like mechanical broadheads. Ive never used them because I hear stories of people losing too many deer with them. You also lose energy in the arrow when they open up.

Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy it! Bowhunting is much more exciting to me that gun hunting.

countryboy3248
09-11-2009, 07:40 AM
i took my bow to dicks for adjustments, they say the cam that is on this nova doesnt allow for adjustments (draw length), and i need to order a new cam from pse. i go to pse's website, and the number is out of order....wtf?

josey wales
09-11-2009, 04:10 PM
before you worry about arrows or broadheads you need to get the bow to fit you,its hard to shoot a bow with any consistency that doesn't fit you.

countryboy3248
09-11-2009, 08:13 PM
took it to an archery shop by dons truck stop on lansing rd....he's putting a new string on it, a shorter one....he says it will bring the length down a bit....hope it works.

OpenSights
09-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Go to Liffords! (SP?) They are just west of Don's truck stop on Lansing rd, south side of the road. They tuned my bow, new peep site and rest for $25. Real good guys! You can catch the on the Out Door Channel sometimes. As far as arrow lenght, what I was taught, stick your arms out streight, put your hands together, and measure from your neck to your finger tips. That is your arrow lenght.

They are getting busy, so you better get there tomarrow! They open at 10 or 11 on Sat.

This is my first year too, Good luck!

TomE
09-12-2009, 09:11 PM
I have a 6 year old PSE Nova with adjustable draw length 28.5 to 31 ,go somewhere else and get a second opinion

countryboy3248
09-13-2009, 10:12 AM
yes, went to the place by dons.....dropped it friday...jist waiting for a call back, then i go up to try it out, install a loop for quick relese, and im gonna have a kisser button installed as well as some limb savers and other stuff....

Went door knocking the other day....no luck though....

OpenSights
09-13-2009, 10:22 AM
yes, went to the place by dons.....dropped it friday...jist waiting for a call back, then i go up to try it out, install a loop for quick relese, and im gonna have a kisser button installed as well as some limb savers and other stuff....

Went door knocking the other day....no luck though....

wierd, I didn't see your last post when I made my post. About a month ago dropped it mine off on Sat, got the call Wed. They did a good job.

countryboy3248
09-13-2009, 07:46 PM
im hoping so....ive heard alot of good things about this place, but when i went in, a guy named mike was working, there was like 6 ppl standing there, and he acted like i was a burden on him....i wonder if this had anything to do with the fact that i had never been there, and he knew everyone else by name....

OpenSights
09-13-2009, 09:54 PM
im hoping so....ive heard alot of good things about this place, but when i went in, a guy named mike was working, there was like 6 ppl standing there, and he acted like i was a burden on him....i wonder if this had anything to do with the fact that i had never been there, and he knew everyone else by name....

If I recall Mike is the old man's son, or maybe Doug... don't quite recall. With a place that small and you get seven guys in there it can be overwhelming. Once you get to know them your cool, I went in with my buddy who has been going there for years. I will have to say your bow couldn't be in better hands.

Try going to jakes plumbing on south st off washington. Chris, who OC's his .40cal all day long, if you don't know your A** from your mouth he'll tell you so. But he's a good guy if you know him well.

Maybe by next spring once you and I have figured out how to shoot these things we can have a shoot off. I'm out to 20 yds, 2" groups, in my back yard with 100 grn field tips, have to switch to 125, as that is what my broadheads are.

Groo
09-13-2009, 11:13 PM
for someone who has never hunted a day in his life, you sure got your mind set on the perfect little bow.

I shoot a plain bow, no sites, no counter weights, no koosh balls, no socks, no rubber bands, no mechanical release, no nuthin', just a bow, some arrows, and a finger tip glove. KISS.

you would have been much better off using this time practicing as apposed to running around from store to store looking for this and that.

countryboy3248
09-14-2009, 05:21 PM
for someone who has never hunted a day in his life, you sure got your mind set on the perfect little bow.

I shoot a plain bow, no sites, no counter weights, no koosh balls, no socks, no rubber bands, no mechanical release, no nuthin', just a bow, some arrows, and a finger tip glove. KISS.

you would have been much better off using this time practicing as apposed to running around from store to store looking for this and that.

I've heard shooting from fingers gives inconsistent shots, and as far as sights, silencers and limb savers, its all to quiet the bow down. what your telling me is equivalent to me telling you to start off with a plane jane gun and work on modifying it later......thats kinda retarded. You would want to be set up as well as possible, to do as well as possible. for me, its all or nothing....as in, i give it all or nothing....on effort and practice, and so on. I owe it to the animal Im shooting to make the shot the best i can, and have a good solid hit, that will not cause suffering. Now, I dont know how well you shoot, or what gear you have, but for me, an inconsistent shot could go anywhere, from ass end to guts.....aim small, miss small.

Groo
09-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I've heard shooting from fingers gives inconsistent shots, ......
......, but for me, an inconsistent shot could go anywhere, from ass end to guts.....aim small, miss small.

and in all this time, you could have tried and found out yourself how inconsistant it was.

I consistanly hit a less than a dinnerplate sized area from 75' (or whatever the farthest distance is at the MTU pistol range) when I was took an Archery class in college. I tried sites years earlier, but wasn't getting the hang of them so well. I shoot better without them. I helps me focus on the target more.

anyway, do whatever floats your boat. My point is that there are an awfull lot of succesful hunters that go into the woods without half the crap you are holding out for and consider necisary.

you don't need the best of the best to insure you don't end up wounding a deer. you just need to hunt within your limits, whatever those may be with whatever equipment you have.

I started out using a smoothbore shotgun for firearm season for a couple of sucessful seasons too.
I didn't start posting over open fields and taking 300 yard shots until I got a 270 with a scope.

jcurtis
09-15-2009, 02:06 PM
took it to an archery shop by dons truck stop on lansing rd....he's putting a new string on it, a shorter one....he says it will bring the length down a bit....hope it works.

Just putting a shorter string on a bow is not a good idea. It can put undue stress on the limbs. The appropriate thing to do is to change the cams if they are not adjustable.

I am glad you are asking these questions now but probably some things you should have asked before purchasing ;)

Most shops will have some tools to help measure you for draw length and can get you a bow with the correct length.

The newer high speed bows really seem to pair well with carbon arrows. This arrow selection tool from Easton can help get you pointed in the right direction for arrows.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection