PDA

View Full Version : S&W Sigma Help

v.navarre
09-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Hello my sigma was my first gun and now that I have had the pleasure of shooting better guns I realize how bad this trigger is and how inaccurate this gun is does any body know of some ways I can help these problems with out costing a bunch of money. Im taking gunsmith courses right now but havent made it far enough to get to the triggers yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

thatguy423
09-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Either get used to the trigger or ditch the gun...I fired 1 mag out of a Sigma and my finger was tired...Possibly the worst trigger I have ever felt, but it did go bang every time with no malfunctions so I guess that was a plus :?

DetroitBiker
09-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Either get used to the trigger or ditch the gun...I fired 1 mag out of a Sigma and my finger was tired...Possibly the worst trigger I have ever felt, but it did go bang every time with no malfunctions so I guess that was a plus :?
+1 The S&W Sigma is what it is,its an affordable shooter and good for starting out on a budget. But if your looking to upgrade into something more accurate and just plain better quality then you might want to sell it or trade it in on a different model alltogether. :twocents:

TomE
09-11-2009, 08:39 AM
So the S&W Sigma has a "Stigma" attached to it?Maybe thats why there a some used ones for sale here .Thanks for the heads up.

Knightrider03m
09-11-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't know why so many people complain so much about the trigger. I have no problems what so ever with the trigger on mine and mines shoot on target every time. If you don't like the trigger pull, you can always sent it back to Smith and Wesson and they will make it "better" for you at no cost to you.

v.navarre
09-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah I know they will do it but I hate to be with out my gun for 6 weeks then all Ive got is a couple of 9s my benelli and a m4 for home protection what ever will I do. LOL But id rather not be without my gun for so long. But i guess I have to do what I have to do I just love shooting that gun every weekend Ive had it for 6 months and just cant seem to get used to the darn thing but my 9s I got used to in a matter of hours. This thing has a harder trigger pull than my bros redhawk single action.

JohnS624
09-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't understand why so many people buy Sigmas and Milleniums for $400 when for only a hundred or so more they could get a quality gun like an XD, Glock, M&P or CZ75...

v.navarre
09-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Well like I said this was my first gun and took the sales man advice and it was a lot closer to 300 and the m&p was well over 500. I just wanted something for home protection and from the sounds of it thats all it will ever be. I guess Ill just keep praying for the Para for Christmas. Obviously no help just people who want to slam me so thanks for nothing. And on the line of the millenium that is a great gun rather have that than any glock.

thatguy423
09-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Well like I said this was my first gun and took the sales man advice and it was a lot closer to 300 and the m&p was well over 500. I just wanted something for home protection and from the sounds of it thats all it will ever be. I guess Ill just keep praying for the Para for Christmas. Obviously no help just people who want to slam me so thanks for nothing. And on the line of the millenium that is a great gun rather have that than any glock.

The Sigma went bang every time I pulled the trigger on it like I said. It was a fairly new gun so it is possible that with use it will get a little lighter. Don't get upset about the comments man they are nothing personal, For home protection you can't beat it for 300 bucks and it will serve it's purpose when (hopefully never) it is needed. As far as PARA..Never owned one but I have shot one and it was beautiful...I have heard less than positive things about their customer service though, might wanna google that! Don't worry dude the pistol won't fail to go boom when it needs to..

DetroitBiker
09-11-2009, 10:56 PM
We are not trying to slam ya, we are just saying that you might be more happy with the glock or XD then the sigma. The sigma was basically S&W`s attempt to copy the glock when they first came out.IMHO they just never got it right. I had a Sigma .40 myself,sold it and got myself a Glock and never looked back.Its like compairing a camero to a corvette. They both work but one outperforms the other thats all.

Knightrider03m
09-12-2009, 03:08 AM

Don't worry about it. The sigmas are very great guns. Mines go bang when ever I pull the trigger and I trust it with my life. I carry mines all the time including for my job. I would pick my gun over a Glock/XD any day of the week.

JohnS624
09-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Well like I said this was my first gun and took the sales man advice
And on the line of the millenium that is a great gun rather have that than any glock.You should have done research before you bought, then. Relying on what a salesman tells you makes no sense.
You haven't seen the broken, new in-the-box Milleniums that I have.

malignity
09-14-2009, 04:15 AM
I know glocks and sigmas have some interchangable parts. Does anyone know if a glock trigger will fit in a sigma?

v.navarre
09-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Good question Malignity. I appreciate you trying to help.

Joeywhat
09-14-2009, 08:01 PM
There's only so much you can do with a trigger without completely changing the mechanism. Unless you want to make a real in depth project out of it, I don't see the point...just buy a different gun with a trigger that suits you.

Combat Commander
09-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Take a look at this it should help.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

crowens
09-14-2009, 08:40 PM
contact kevins_garage he sold me a sigma that had a lighter trigger on it. im not sure if he did it or not. So ask him

TFin04
09-14-2009, 08:49 PM
The Sigma isn't inaccurate but the stiff trigger can make it more difficult to shoot accurately than other guns.

Same reason why people are less accurate with revolvers in double action than single action. The inherent accuracy of the gun hasn't changed, only how easy it is to drop the hammer.

jolari
09-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Check out this link. It will give you step by step instructions with pictures
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/76028-sigma-trigger-work-pictures.html

Knightrider03m
09-14-2009, 10:46 PM
I know glocks and sigmas have some interchangable parts. Does anyone know if a glock trigger will fit in a sigma?

I heard that you could change out the slides on the 1st gen Sigmas only.

v.navarre
09-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. And that does make sense with the trigger and the inaccuracy I noticed when I shot my first 2 mags through it and the groupings were right were I wanted it and after about 200 rounds that day they started to fall apart badly ( I couldnt wait to get the target in and throw it away before my father in law saw it ) That was my first time at a range and let me tell you it was awesome and I felt a lot more comfortable. I will be doing the trigger job explained on the S&W forum.

ArmyRanger
06-05-2011, 11:49 PM
I learned the hard way how absolutely necessary it is to shoot a gun before buying one especially for CC. I bought a Sigma for CC right after retiring from the Army and moving back to MI and realized my mistake before emptying the first magazine. I HATED it! I looked into getting the trigger worked but couldn't find a reasonable solution so I sold it at a 50% loss, washed my hands of it and chalked it up to a valuable lesson learned, never to be repeated and bought an XD. I have been VERY sastisfied since that awful time.

kevins_garage
06-06-2011, 09:03 AM
contact kevins_garage he sold me a sigma that had a lighter trigger on it. im not sure if he did it or not. So ask him
Sigma trigger fix (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/101197-sigma-trigger-fix.html)

This can be a bit of a tricky job. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, Frank Smith at LSG is an S&W armorer that will do it under warranty for you at no cost (info is in the link).

Removing just the curly/pigtailed spring should take you from the standard 8-12 pound pull, down to a 4.5-6.5 pound pull. There is no need to remove more than just the curly pigtailed spring and definitely no need to polish any trigger/sear parts or do any additional work, especially if you don't really know what you are doing anyway...

I have had my Sigma full size modded like this for many years now and put several thousand rounds through it without issue, as have others.

usmcpaul
06-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Hello my sigma was my first gun and now that I have had the pleasure of shooting better guns I realize how bad this trigger is and how inaccurate this gun is does any body know of some ways I can help these problems with out costing a bunch of money. Im taking gunsmith courses right now but havent made it far enough to get to the triggers yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hey V., I am what most people would call a consummate "Do-it-Yourselfer". I regularly take on projects that no mortal man should (and most don't... and I fail about 1/2 the time). However, every time I fail, I learn something, and that learning is priceless.(at least to me)

I know nothing about your gun, but I do know, it is worth trying. Even if what you need is not obtainable (from a mortal man), it is worth a try. The most you are out is a few ($50-$300) worth of parts, and since you want to be a gunsmith why not try it. It will make you a better gunsmith.

I don't wanna get slammed for giving you bad advice, but with a little research, blood, sweat (and possibly tears), you might be surprised what you can do.

One thing I am certain of, if you never try, you will never know.

Edit: please note that I do not give the same advice under the "Legal Beagle" heading.

bad86ta
06-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I had a trigger job done on my old sigma @ Total Firearms in Mason, MI...
This took the trigger pull down to about 6-7ibs..
Cost me about $75.00 OTD...

kevins_garage
06-08-2011, 08:36 AM
I had a trigger job done on my old sigma @ Total Firearms in Mason, MI...
This took the trigger pull down to about 6-7ibs..
Cost me about $75.00 OTD...
I hate to be a "Debbie Downer", but it seems like you may have paid about $75 too much...

bad86ta
06-09-2011, 01:11 AM
I hate to be a "Debbie Downer", but it seems like you may have paid about $75 too much...

Doesn't bother me...

For whatever reason when I sold it on auction arms the "trigger job" made it a big seller, It sold for about $115 more then any of the other sigma pistols on there... It ended up making me money, so it was fine with me...

malignity
06-09-2011, 09:37 AM
After owning a Sigma and then a Glock 23, all I can say is stay away from the Sigma... far far away. Oh my lord the triggers are bad.

IndustrialRescue
07-21-2012, 02:43 PM
I did a trigger job on a Sigma 9mm, back in the day. All it required was popping off the back cover on the slide, and swapping the double spring, for a single Wolff Spring. They actually sell a kit, specifically for this purpose. It also included what looked like some sort of pigtail sear spring, which I didn't do anything with.. It took it from about 14 pounds, to about 7. Had the nicest trigger of any Sigma I'd ever shot.

But it was still a Sigma.

The nicest Sigma is akin to the smartest kid with down's syndrome. Sure, the trigger is nicer than it was before, but, at the end of the day, it's still a crappy gun. Just like the kid can tie his shoes, and spell his name, but he's still just not all there.

If you've only got 300 or so to spend, there are better, more user friendly options. We all have to start somewhere.
Or, of course, you can save up another 100-150, and buy a used Glock, M&P, or XD. Or anything else, for that matter...

Needless to say, I got rid of the Sigma very shortly thereafter.

dougwg
07-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Necronoobpost!

tote'ngranny
07-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Ahh well .. a day late and a dollar short. Maybe some of us deserve to own a sigma :hide: just kidding. However, I can't imagine spending $75 to get a trigger down to 6-7 lbs.