PDA

View Full Version : HB 4155 (2009) CPL to Include Tasers

PhotoTom
09-13-2009, 10:11 PM
HB 4155 (2009) (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2009-HB-4155)
Weapons; licensing; provisions governing concealed pistol licensee's right to carry electro-muscular disruption device; revise.
Amends title & secs. 5f, 5k & 5o of 1927 PA 372 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28sx2nn045o5f3ut45qlvbn455%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectname=mcl-act-372-of-1927) (MCL 28.425f (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28sx2nn045o5f3ut45qlvbn455%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectname=mcl-28-425f) et seq.).
TIE BAR WITH: HB 4156'09 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2009-HB-4156), HB 4164'09 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2009-HB-4164)

Introduced: 2/4/2009
Last Action: 4/28/2009 re-referred to Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources

kdogg
09-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Well that's kinda cool. I think my wife will feel more comfortable carrying a Tazer. She thought about a gun but then decided against a gun.

hopeitsfast
09-14-2009, 04:10 PM
That would be awesome.Of course i am running out of pockets and room on the belt.

Done Deal
09-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Well that's kinda cool. I think my wife will feel more comfortable carrying a Tazer. She thought about a gun but then decided against a gun.

Comfortable with one shot that may or may not have the desired result?

Scary.....really scary but, better than nothing I guess...

7.62 Nato
09-14-2009, 09:08 PM
So would that also include stun guns ?

Pistol Teacher
09-16-2009, 06:02 PM

ChrisSmith
09-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Being a electrician current kills not voltage.

I would disagree with this. Power dissipation kills, not current or voltage, and power is a function of both.

Of course, all things being equal, more voltage = more current.

Done Deal
09-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Is additional training going to be required?

Pistol Teacher
09-20-2009, 04:26 PM

Pistol Teacher
09-20-2009, 04:42 PM

Edward
09-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Very bad idea imo,and one I will not support.Way to much of a chance the "bleeding hearts" use the non-lethel angle to force us to carry ONLY tasers.Even if they don't,how to you think it's going to look to a jury when they are told that you COULD have carryed a taser but chose to use that "evil" pistol anyway.How many of you would carry a single shot pistol with an effective range of a few feet?

Pistol Teacher
09-21-2009, 07:47 AM

ChrisSmith
09-21-2009, 07:55 PM
I can hang from a electrical line like a bird and be charged to that voltage but touch two line no more bird. It is the amount of flow that is of concern. Flow = Current Increase voltage current goes up with a constant resistance. I=VxR

I don't mean to be a dick about this, but you said you were an electrician earlier. Do you mistype Ohm's law? I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. It's V=IR. http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/Sample_Projects/Ohms_Law/ohmslaw.html

I will agree with you however that it's a bad idea to have the taser in the event that you have to shoot.

AOF
09-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Very bad idea imo,and one I will not support.Way to much of a chance the "bleeding hearts" use the non-lethel angle to force us to carry ONLY tasers.Even if they don't,how to you think it's going to look to a jury when they are told that you COULD have carryed a taser but chose to use that "evil" pistol anyway.How many of you would carry a single shot pistol with an effective range of a few feet?

Those were my initial thought as well.

Pistol Teacher
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM

malignity
09-21-2009, 09:04 PM

And hopefully any jury in Michigan realizes that a little spring loaded dart isn't going to go through a Michigan winter jacket. Yes, it's less than lethal for some people. For someone like me with a pace-maker, it's instant death (or so I hear).

Pepper spray is also less than lethal, and you don't see us being railroaded to use it. We ALL have the option to carry pepper spray, but we all know that it's not 100% effective, just like a tazer. If they were, cops wouldn't need to carry guns either. Let's not get carried away here and say we're going to get railroaded into using only tazers, cause it's not going to happen.

snakebyte
09-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Since when is 15 a few? I think it's a great alternative for those who want one. Sometimes the situation dosn't call for a gun. Sometimes a less lethal approach is better. And it only takes like 2 seconds to reload if you are smart, and practice.
:twocents:

Edward
09-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Since when is 15 a few? I think it's a great alternative for those who want one. Sometimes the situation dosn't call for a gun. Sometimes a less lethal approach is better. And it only takes like 2 seconds to reload if you are smart, and practice.
:twocents:
If you are happy with 15ft. and a 2 sec. reload,great,thats your choice.I would not be happy with it,and am not willing to take the chance that my choice gets taken away from me.I don't understand how anyone could say it would never happen,but if thats how some feel,so be it.Again,i'm not willing to take the chance.

G22
09-22-2009, 10:17 PM
And hopefully any jury in Michigan realizes that a little spring loaded dart isn't going to go through a Michigan winter jacket.

Um..ya...and "hopefully" a jury of their peers agree with them.

Why does it have to be winter? and why the jacket? It was close to 80 today.
Will they only use their tazer when it's cold out?

I see your point with pepper spray though. I don't think anyone has ever been accused of defending themselves with a firearm when they could have sprayed. I guess we'll just have to see what happens if this passes.

malignity
09-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Will you only use your tazer when it's cold out?

My tazer? I won't be owning a tazer. Not now, not ever. I won't be giving someone a reason to sue me for protecting myself after they've attacked me. Its my gun or nothing, and the day Michigan bans handguns is the day I move to Vermont.

Pistol Teacher
09-23-2009, 06:27 AM

Pistol Teacher
09-23-2009, 06:53 AM

esq_stu
09-23-2009, 07:04 AM
We still can't defend ourselves with a weapon we've had concealed while in CEZs.

AFAIC, we gain nothing from this law if we can't bring a concealed weapon, including Tasers, into a CEZ. If it's not a CEZ, I'll have a firearm.

G22
09-23-2009, 06:03 PM
My tazer? I won't be owning a tazer. Not now, not ever. I won't be giving someone a reason to sue me for protecting myself after they've attacked me. Its my gun or nothing, and the day Michigan bans handguns is the day I move to Vermont.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you would. I edited my post accordingly and I agree with you. I will never own one either.

malignity
09-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you would. I edited my post accordingly and I agree with you. I will never own one either.

Good :D There's no substitute for a good firearm. ;)

Super Trucker
09-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Wow, after reading this I realize why gun rights laws suck in Michigan.

40+ states allow tasers and I don't recall EVER seeing a person going to court after a shooting and a jury saying that they should have used a taser instead of a gun.

Blah, Blah, Blah way to go keeping the laws in the 20th century. I mean some of this backward thinking is reflected by the fine people that are elected to make these dumb laws.

Knightrider03m
09-24-2009, 08:35 PM
I would perfer to carry a taser along with my gun.....

Tallbear
09-24-2009, 09:08 PM
The idea behind the bill is to give those that don't want to carry a firearm a way to protect themsolves that is less lethal.

Quaamik
09-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Remember, laws aren't only "for today". They will affect what you can / can't do for a long time. IMHO, anything that gives you more options is good.

For those that are not aware they have been working on developing a wireless taser. It used a pair of lasers to ionize the air and the current travels down the ioniized trails. Currently its briefcase sized and only a prototype, but down the road they hope to reach handgun size with it. It would be multiple shot though probably still limited in range compared to a handgun.

<edited for spelling>

snakebyte
09-28-2009, 08:22 PM
One more thing. Range is regarded as a big shortcoming for many. Most confrontations aren't at ranges of 30 feet or more. If someones that far away, chances are they're not much of a threat to you. I know there are situations where that's not true, but for all intents and purposes, they a great tools. Just like firearms are great tools. Use what the situation calls for.