PDA

View Full Version : change stock and feed for sks

recon8
09-17-2009, 01:06 AM
i just aquired an sks original stock and the way it feeds from the top. i wanted to change the stock. and change it to take mags! easy or not?

JohnT
09-17-2009, 04:12 AM
Easy as taking out the 10 round factory mag ,replace the trigger group and add after market detachable mag.

pkuptruck
09-17-2009, 06:07 AM
the sks is VERY easy to work with/on.

the regular mag, also will remove quite easitly, and can be replaced with
special made SKS mags, that use the existing mag release. It's is a bit
"fumbly"... but quite workable.
Or, you can have it modified to accept ak type mags... thats a bit trickier...
but again, not that hard at all.

A simple google search will get you to where you want to be...

:D

Buzzcat
09-17-2009, 09:31 AM
replace the trigger group

Unless you're talking about 922 compliance, the OEM trigger group will still work, and for that matter, I don't think I've ever seen a USA made SKS trigger group.

Getting the trigger group out can be the toughest part of the job to do. The little tab behind the trigger guard that you have to push in can be a real bear to move sometimes.

It's stoopid-easy to take an SKS apart. Do a google for "SKS disassembly" and you'll have all the info you need.

However, because there are so many SKS variants and quality of manufacture, I've heard that some people run into fitment problems with some aftermarket stocks, requiring a bit of the dremel (on the stock, of course).

autosurgeon
09-17-2009, 06:44 PM
You had better do a search on the SKS Survivors board about 922r compliance... as otherwise you could find yourself in hot water with the BATF.

recon8
09-17-2009, 07:44 PM
thanx you guys are the ****!
god bless

wombat12
09-19-2009, 10:04 AM
922r compliance on a SKS can be a convoluted affair! In part, depends on what you start with. A "normal" SKS (Chinese, Russian, et al) has 14 foreign parts. Any change to the "features" of the rifle, such as adding a pistol grip or detachable mag, requires that four foriegn parts must be replaced. Strangely enough, if you add a pistol grip stock, but retain the 10 round mag, you have 12 foriegn parts and are not compliant. To be in compliance, you need to add a USA made mag (replaces two more parts).

It gets even stranger with a Yugo 59/66 SKS. First, because of the "muzzle device", it has 15 parts. Secondly, it was non compliant when imported! They were imported as C&Rs, collectors items. Making any change to a 59/66, such as adding a synthetic sporter stock, removes its C&R status and makes it non compliant. To make a 59/66 compliant, five parts must be replaced. Obvious parts are USA stock (two parts), USA mag (yes it has three parts, but only replaces two), and either the gas piston (Tapco makes one) or the muzzle brake (from experience, a major pain).

I'm willing to bet the farm that there are thousands ( even hundreds of thousands) of non compliant SKSs and AKs out there. I see dozens at every gun show. How big a deal is it? Probably not much. I've personally bought several non compliant guns- and immediately bought the parts to make them compliant. I have never read of a case where BATF has enforced the compliance issue, but they COULD, and I won't be the test case!

autosurgeon
09-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Well I am not taking the chance as I am a FFL holder and can have my C&R guns audited by the BATF...

The basics of 922r are as follows All SKS rifles except Yugo's require 4 parts replaced.. Yugo's require 4 parts and the grenade launcher should be removed and replaced.(NOTE this is not required there are other parts you can replace..but it make the gun shorter and more useful IMOP) There are flash suppressors that can be pinned on in the same way as the grenade launcher that are legal compliance parts.

I usually replace the Mag and the stock and handguard as a simmple way to meet compliance... NOTE I do not have a YUGO SKS

Mag is 2 parts Stock is 1 and Handguard is 1

Usually people get jammed up for this as a tack on charge to something else... such as if your gun slammfires a whole mag!

With that said make sure you clean the fireing pin and channel and DO NOT LUBE IT!!!

wombat12
09-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Well I am not taking the chance as I am a FFL holder and can have my C&R guns audited by the BATF...

Actually, that brings up another question. If the Yugo 59/66 is purchased on a C&R and converted to pistol grip stock, detachable mag, US muzzle device, how would BATFE react during an audit? Even tho it is 922r compliant, it is no longer C&R compliant.

autosurgeon
09-21-2009, 07:46 PM
It can no longer be sold as C&R if that is what you are wondering.. however if you put it back to stock config then all is good! You will have a few days when they call for an audit as they cannot just come knocking on the door....

Groo
09-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I have a fealing 922r complience is just an add on charge for when your nuts are already in a vice, or something to charge you with when they "know" you are guilty of something else, but cant make the case.

who knows, some anti scary asualt weapons law might be passed that you have to bring in everything that might become an asault weapon and have it checked then ban any more asault weapons ever, maybe stick on an expensive tax stamp too.

chosos
09-24-2009, 08:41 AM
there havent been any cases pressed for 922r compliance. I dont even understand the point, because while it makes sense that you should not legally be allowed to add on a grenade launcher, removing one makes the gun illegal?!?

Could you see some 18 year old kid landing in federal prison over pulling he bayonet and stock off his SKS, but leaving the grenade launching muzzle and trigger group on?

I bet you 90% of the modified SKS' out there being sold are non compliant. Mine was when I bought it, and I'm currently waiting on my gas piston. I'd pull off he muzzle break, but I am actually debating on cutting off the entire front sight block because its really heavy and I dont like the way the balance of the gun feels.

autosurgeon
09-24-2009, 09:35 AM
The point is you do NOT get in trouble for removing a grenade launcher but rather for making a gun that was grandfathered by the fact that it was a C&R gun into one that is now Unlawful as it has too many foreign parts and has NO exemption!

In order to make a YUGO legal you MUST change 5 compliance parts to US made parts.

All others are 4 parts. You do NOT have to mess with the grenade launcher as there are other parts you can change.

Compliance parts are as follows.

Bolt, Mag body, Mag Follower, hand guard, Stock, Gas tube, Gas piston, and in the case of the YUGO change the grenade launcher for a flash hider or muzzle brake. Some folks think the trigger group is a compliance part but I have not seen the BATF say this is the case.

chosos
09-24-2009, 09:46 AM
I understand what can be changed out. what I am trying to point out is that i dont think the average gun buyer knows anything about 922r. You make this assumption that people do know about this or even that the SKS is a C&R weapon.

Many buyers walk into a gun show, find his bad ass looking SKS rifle, figure it is legal to own because a dealer will legally sell it to them with a yellow form. They then find an Tapco or ATI stock kit at the same gun show, see a dealer selling it, figures its legal because a dealer is selling it, and they go home and tinker with the gun at home to change out the stock.

My point was - I think you should be allowed to remove items from a C&R weapon, without being in violation of 922r. I do however think that any NEW parts that go on the rifle, must meet 922r compliance. IE - the stock muzzle should be allowed, but if you remove it, only a US made part should be allowed to go back on, unless you already meet 922r compliance.

I'm waiting for the first 922r case, because I personally do not think it will hold up in court. Too many people are simply uninformed, for the very reasons I mentioned above.

autosurgeon
09-24-2009, 10:30 AM
There have been several 922r cases and they were all tack on charges.

Ignorance of the law is NO excuse as you well know! Also I assume nothing which is why I am posting here to help the OP.

If you buy a C&R gun with your C&R licence and then modify it so that it does not meet C&R standards then you may not sell it as a C&R.

922r has nothing to do with C&R other than some guns are allowed to be imported BC they are C&R when they would not meet the requirements otherwise. If you choose to modify them then you MUST meet 922r compliance.

It does not matter whether or not you agree with the law as long as it is in force you must follow it.

I do agree that the dealers should be educating people when they sell these BUT gun owners are ultimately responsible for knowing the laws that apply!

chosos
09-24-2009, 10:45 AM
I am not talking about buying these with a C&R license. I can go and buy an SKS on craigslist without filling out any paperwork. I can buy one at a Gunshow filling out a yellow sheet, and in the end, buying a C&R and buying a shotgun will not be any different for me.

My problem with 922r is that I had NO idea about it prior to joining this board. I was not informed of 922r when I purchased my SKS or even my Tapco Stock. I do not hold a C&R license, so 922r modifications to a C&R are another language to me. I think if you hold a C&R you SHOULD know about 922r, because you may end up selling C&R weapons.

However, why would avg Joe on the street know about 922r?

Legally, your information is correct. Ethically, mine is. I do not think a straight 922r case would hold up in court. Tack on charge, fine, but I think if someone REALLY pushed the issue with a legit case, I think it might actually cause a policy change.

autosurgeon
09-24-2009, 11:15 AM
The problem is all of the laws are available and like I said the dealer should be telling you BUT that is not gonna save you in court as it ultimately is your responsibility!

If I were you I would go here http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

This guy has done a good job of explaining it!