PDA

View Full Version : field vs. woods

countryboy3248
09-19-2009, 09:56 AM
What do you guys think for bow hunting? Everyone's telling me the woods is where its at. cant make a 300yd shot with a bow, so keep em close in the woods. I've heard that sitting over a corn field works well for bow season though.....

Im bow hunting state land this year, because i didnt really have time to prepare for bow season....I havent even placed my stand yet....I still have 2 other places to scout. It sucks, and its really gonna come down to luck now that i havent dont my homework....but what do you guys think?

I found a nice spot that all trails bottle neck down to. its along the river, and i noticed a pretty nice torn up spot, right under an acorn tree. tracks everywhere, but no rubs or scrapes.....

Done Deal
09-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I hunt the edges until the leaves drop. Hunting in the woods eliminates alot of time everyday due to lack of available light.

But, if you have good crossings that you can get to without spooking deer, then that is where it seems to me that you want to be locating a stand.

remingtondude58
09-19-2009, 08:51 PM
I like to hunt the edges of fields as well.

Ruger
09-19-2009, 09:09 PM
I hunt the edge myself. I have a small DNR (state land) controlled rye field that they plant and mow down at the end of September and between my daughter and myself we've taken 20 or so deer from the same stand in the last 15 years. And the field is less then 60 yards of the county road. Years ago we used to bait like everyone else did but if you pattern the deer in the area sooner or later they'll pass under that stand, they just can't resist the new green shouts that grow around the edge.

Groo
09-19-2009, 09:16 PM
I hunted over some rye, in a garden shed I cut an opening into the wall of.

I'll have to find a new place when I next take out the bow. A Tornado got the shed.