PDA

View Full Version : First AR build

Team Realtree
09-26-2009, 02:58 PM
I want to attempt to build an AR in 308 cal. If I buy a complete lower, is it universal for both 223 and 308? or is it a specific lower that I need?

Next, If I buy a completed lower and upper, what else do I need? Charging handle?, bolt carrier?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Joeywhat
09-26-2009, 03:05 PM
You need AR 10 parts, not AR 15. Some are interchangeable, a lot are not.

JohnS624
09-27-2009, 12:31 PM
I want to attempt to build an AR in 308 cal. If I buy a complete lower, is it universal for both 223 and 308? or is it a specific lower that I need?

Next, If I buy a completed lower and upper, what else do I need? Charging handle?, bolt carrier?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ChrisIf you don't have this basic knowledge, you probably should buy a complete gun...

JCisHe
09-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Or one of the various manuals and read that first...

pkuptruck
09-28-2009, 03:58 AM
great fun building a weapon. And the ar15 platform is so versitatile now,
you can make it just about any way you want.

I suggest doing some research first.. on styles ( yes, there are styles! :D ),
types, versions and add-ons..:crazy:

here are a few places to start...

www.brownells.com
www.ar15.com

Remember, to be completely sastified with your finished project, you need
to start with ... what will it be used for..... A defensive, hard use,self defense weapon is gonna look diferent than a hunting rifle, or a paper-puncher...

Good luck, and please post status reports of your progress...

:bounce:

mechredd
09-28-2009, 04:22 AM
If you buy a complete upper and complete lower, all you'll need is mags and ammo.

If you buy both of them complete, they you didn't really build an AR. If you buy a barreled upper then you can assemble the rest the upper with parts of your own choosing, and assembly will be near identical to a field reassembly. The main difference will be the installation of the forward assist and hand guards.

Mongo
09-29-2009, 09:00 AM
You need AR 10 parts, not AR 15. Some are interchangeable, a lot are not.

Yep, what he said. Building an AR10 might prove to be pretty expensive. There also aren't as many "standards" as in AR15's. For example, many companies use a magazine unique to their lower.

I think you would have to do much more research on parts with an AR10 just to make sure what you are getting will fit.