PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Upper Parts Kit?

5alarm435
10-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm working on my first AR15 build. What do you do for parts for your uppers? Assemble a kit piecemeal or buy a complete upper parts kit?

I did a little searching at Brownell's. It seems only complete upper parts kit I could find is made by DPMS.

Thanks,
Alex.

Joeywhat
10-03-2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Upper-Receiver-Bolt-Carrier-Parts-s/2.htm

pkuptruck
10-04-2009, 03:52 AM
its all a matter of choice, really.

If you want the experience of a "complete" build, find the parts and assemble them... Pretty cathatic, and a very good way yo learn the weapon.

Or, you could just buy the complete upper nad have NO satisfaction of having anything to do with it at all! :brow:

Most AR manufatureres sell "kits" , parts, etc...

Model 1 sales
brownells
MidwayUSA
DPMS
STAG
etc

a simple internet search will turn up a bonanza of makers, etc.

Also, check the typical auction sites... Occasionally you will find parts,etc at a reasonable price...

good luck!

:score:

mitommy
10-04-2009, 09:36 AM
another lesser known supplier:
http://www.dsarms.com/Lowers--Uppers/products/59/

5alarm435
10-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for your input guys.

Yes, I always intended to build this rifle from the ground up, so picking it up piece by piece works for me. That said, I've read a lot of good things about the BCM bolt carrier groups, so I feel like I can expect above average quality from their other upper receiver components. I think I'm going to get everything from them.

Is the BCMgunfighter charging handle something people have said good things about or is it just a gimmick?

Alex.

Batman
10-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Is the BCMgunfighter charging handle something people have said good things about or is it just a gimmick?No it's not a gimmick. It's a quality part and worth the $. This said, what do you do with your gun? If you work it hard than it's worth the price as is alot aftermarket parts. If your gun is just for plinking or an occasional range shooter (poodle shooting) then it's a waste of money. I have both types of guns but on the guns I work hard I have the BCM charging handle.

5alarm435
10-06-2009, 01:03 AM
No it's not a gimmick. It's a quality part and worth the $. This said, what do you do with your gun? If you work it hard than it's worth the price as is alot aftermarket parts. If your gun is just for plinking or an occasional range shooter (poodle shooting) then it's a waste of money. I have both types of guns but on the guns I work hard I have the BCM charging handle.

I'll plan on doing everything from putting on some old uniforms and taking cool pictures and going to the range to taking a couple carbine classes and entering some 2- and 3-gun matches. (Just kidding about that very first part.)

This is my first build, and I want a versatile AR, but I don't want a bunch of frivolous and gimmicky stuff. I will spend an extra $20 for something that improves the functionality of my weapon, though.

Thanks for vouching for the part for me, batman. What other aftermarket parts were you referring to that might be worth looking at?

Joeywhat
10-06-2009, 04:52 AM
Remember that the AR platform has run well without the BCM handles for a long time now...not to say that it's not a good part (and I REALLY want one...) rather it's not a necessity so don't worry about it too much.

EricF517
10-06-2009, 08:54 PM
another lesser known supplier:
http://www.dsarms.com/Lowers--Uppers/products/59/

$265 for a complete upper?:bounce2:

I might have to save some $ up and get one to put on top of the fiance's SASS for the daughter to use. Just hope the SASS stock isn't too long.

Joeywhat
10-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Doesn't include BCG or CH...

Batman
10-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for vouching for the part for me, batman. What other aftermarket parts were you referring to that might be worth looking at?No problem, but whatJoeywhat stated is true, a well put together stock gun is GTG and will provide you with a life time of service. Aftermarket stuff is not a necessity so , now, where do I start!?.......

This is all MY Opinon and my opinion only cause it works for me...

First off, generally while you might not get what you pay for you almost never get something for nothing. This is an important statement because choosing how much to spend on "extra aftermarket" improvements needs to be done carefully. For example, take front handguards, rails specifically. There are a ton of em on the market. Prices are all over the place. I've done extensive research and studied the selections carefully and after a number of years I've chosen Danial Defense M4 or Omaga Rail. I have both and both are about the same price and offer the same performance. Yes there are cheaper ones and more expensive ones but to me DD is good to go.

Here are some other aftermarket parts that I think are desirable (and this is for a carbine style (M4 or mid-lengh) gun used for tactical fighting and NOT sniper shooting/hunting). These parts help me feel more comfortable, allowing me to shoot better:

Quad rail handguard - Daniel Defense Omega or M4 Rail. If your building up from complete parts use the M4 or not the Omega is super.
Magpul MOE butt stock (lots of good ones out there)
BCM or Brownells extra power extractor spring up-grade.
Magpul MOE or TangoDown grip.
Geissele trigger
Magpul (or others) enlarged trigger guard (winter guard)
Optics:
Scope - Get a good shotgun scope. There is not much recoil on an AR and my Simmons scopes have held up really well for the last 8 years (I've used this in several of Fisher's and Roger's classes, ACTS and 3-gun matches with no issues)
Aimpoint. I like the ML3 on a LaRue mount. But with any electronic sight back up irons (BIUS) is needed. Many to choose from but I like the fold down ones. Don't like the performance/durability of Eotecs and ACOGs are too expensive.
Slings, Vicker's Blue Force Gear (all slings suck! some suck less than others and I've found that these work the best)
TangoDown vertical grip. (but there are others that are just as good)There you go.

Shooter McNasty
10-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm working on my first AR15 build. What do you do for parts for your uppers? Assemble a kit piecemeal or buy a complete upper parts kit?

I did a little searching at Brownell's. It seems only complete upper parts kit I could find is made by DPMS.

Thanks,
Alex.

I have an upper and a stock that need a home. Here a lind for a screaming deal on lowers
https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=33&zenid=c8d74ef198b6e5de66c202863d5ed4f4
You could be in an AR for >$700 load on Sunday and shoot all week

jmacken37
10-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Lowers don't matter nearly as much as the barrel/upper in my opinion. You can get any old plain jane lower. What you really want is a good upper/barrel.

Jake

Batman
10-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I also think the bolt carrier group is also very important. LMT and some of the other higher end Co. are highly recommended.

Joeywhat
10-08-2009, 05:50 AM
I would make sure you research before you buy, though...LMT has recently had some BADDD products roll of the line. Mostly cosmetic, but the bolt carrier looked like it had been through one of those automatic apple peelers...NOT good. Never heard if it actually ran alright but someone's not staying awake when those problems leave the shop.

Not saying no one should ever buy LMT again, rather just do some research and make sure what you're buying is good at the moment.