PDA

View Full Version : 870 Jams - What to do?

Eric B
10-13-2009, 10:12 AM
My 1970's 870 Wingmaster recently started to jam shells against the top lip of the barrel. This gun was well used when I bought it and I have used it as a loaner gun for my schools trap and skeet club. It has had around 6-8k rounds through it since I bought it.

Any ideas to fix the problem? I cleaned it really well and the problem persists. Someone at the range that witnessed the jamming said I should try a new ejector. Any other ideas before I make my order to Brownells?

Thanks,

Eric

sprink
10-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Have you tried different ammo? I know it's obvious, but sometimes......

Eric B
10-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Yes I should have mentioned that...it will feed AA all day long. However, everything else makes it a jamomatic. Federal, cheap Winchester, etc. It used to feed everything I threw at it.

kframe357
10-14-2009, 11:30 AM
2 ideas...
1. sell it to me for $20 :naughty:
or
2. eat more spinach ;)

I'm joking.....unless you pick #1.... lol

Toledo Kid
10-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Take it apart and clean the snot out of it. Make sure the barrel is seated proper into the receiver.

FIRERESCUEO2
10-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Bent carrier?

MICPL
10-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Take it apart and clean the snot out of it. Make sure the barrel is seated proper into the receiver.

+1

dagunnut
10-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Eric

Could use some clarification on this--jam shells against the top lip of the barrel. Is this occuring during the chambering of an unfired shell or during the extraction of a fired shell. Also did you or anyone else disassemble the firearm prior to this happening? There are a number of possibilities dammaged extractor, elevator not fully raising the shell to the chamber, barrel is not fully seated, bolt is hanging up on surface, dammaged action bar. Have you done a complete disassembly of the firearm? I know you probably already have the manual in hand but here it is again for you.

http://gunmanuals.net/Manuals/Remington_870.pdf

I am not a professional or a licensed gunsmith and I have never owned an 870. I am just trying to help you out and troubleshoot the problem. If you have a snap cap or a dummy shell slowly chamber the round and eject the round while watching the mechanics of it thru the ejection port. I hope this helps you out.

Mario
dagunnut

Eric B
10-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Thanks guys for the replies! I will hopefully have some time this weekend to do some of the suggestions. Except spinach.... ;)

TomE
10-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Everything just might be worn out,and time to replace the whole gun,I wore out my 70's Wingmaster after about 50K thru it and couldn't get anything to work right.I know that its usually a good shotgun ,but sometimes they wear out.Especially if it was a loaner ,if someone dropped some shells on the ground and got dirt on them and loaded them up anyway without cleaning them ,because it wasn't their shotgun.That sand and dirt could have abraded everthing action orientated.Only a thought

sarco001
10-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Eric,
My first suspicion would go to the spring tension of the follower. It may be worn to the point of being weak.