Tallbear
10-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Standing Committee Meeting

Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources, Rep. Joel Sheltrown, Chair

Date: 10/20/2009

Time: 10:30 AM

Place: 521 House Office Building, Lansing, MI

Agenda:
HB 5302 (Opsommer) Weapons; other; right to transportation and storage of firearms under certain circumstances; allow.

HB 5303 (Sheltrown) Weapons; other; transportation of firearms for lawful purpose; expand.

HB 5470 (Mayes) Weapons; licensing; waiver of concealed weapons licensing requirements; clarify for military personnel.

HB 5471 (Haase) Weapons; other; no-carry zone violations; require compliance by individuals licensed out of state.

HB 5472 (Segal) Weapons; licensing; waiver of license to purchase requirement for certain military personnel; provide for.

HB 5473 (Bolger) Weapons; licensing; purchase and possession of pistol or merchandise by licensed dealer; allow under certain circumstances.

HB 5474 (Wayne Schmidt) Weapons; other; preemption of firearm laws; expand to include institutions of higher education.

To view text of legislation go to
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=Bills

spartywrx
10-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Would showing up to this meeting be benificial for these bills, especially 5474. I might go to the doctor tax rally the same day.

I would be dressed in a suit plus my short (student) white doctor coat. I also walk to and from class in Detroit which maybe could put a human face and sob story to why 5474 should be passed.

Any thoughts? I've never been to one of these meetings.

Tallbear
10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
The committee is always interested in hearing from those directly effected by these bills. They do ask that any testimony be presented in writing, but it's not a requirement.

Would showing up to this meeting be benificial for these bills, especially 5474. I might go to the doctor tax rally the same day.

I would be dressed in a suit plus my short (student) white doctor coat. I also walk to and from class in Detroit which maybe could put a human face and sob story to why 5474 should be passed.

Any thoughts? I've never been to one of these meetings.

Tallbear
10-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources, Rep. Joel Sheltrown, Chair

Date: 10/27/2009

Time: 10:30 AM

Place: 521 House Office Building, Lansing, MI

Agenda:
HB 5302 (Opsommer) Weapons; other; right to transportation and storage of firearms under certain circumstances; allow.

HB 5303 (Sheltrown) Weapons; other; transportation of firearms for lawful purpose; expand.

HB 5470 (Mayes) Weapons; licensing; waiver of concealed weapons licensing requirements; clarify for military personnel.

HB 5471 (Haase) Weapons; other; no-carry zone violations; require compliance by individuals licensed out of state.

HB 5472 (Segal) Weapons; licensing; waiver of license to purchase requirement for certain military personnel; provide for.

HB 5473 (Bolger) Weapons; licensing; purchase and possession of pistol or merchandise by licensed dealer; allow under certain circumstances.

HB 5474 (Wayne Schmidt) Weapons; other; preemption of firearm laws; expand to include institutions of higher education.

HB 5520 (Bolger) Weapons; licensing; purchase and possession of pistol by licensed dealer; allow under certain circumstances.

To view text of legislation go to
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=Bills

spartywrx
10-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Well I can't make that one. It was an interesting debate today. I should have been more prepared, but the committee members seemed to be pretty pro gun.

I encourage anyone wanting these bills to pass to go to the meetings and speak.

Interestingly Students for Concealed Carry on Campus were not there

xd-40
10-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Well I can't make that one. It was an interesting debate today. I should have been more prepared, but the committee members seemed to be pretty pro gun.

I encourage anyone wanting these bills to pass to go to the meetings and speak.

Interestingly Students for Concealed Carry on Campus were not there

you're right, we weren't. somehow this meeting blew right under our radar.
we will be at the next one, and will make it clear that the non-sheeple students support this bill.

I'll have to hang around this site a little more, been spending too much time on ocdo and cast boolits missed this thread completely.

baker437
10-21-2009, 12:28 PM
"Thanks for writing! SCCC members both local and national were unaware of this hearing until yesterday, after the hearing. I very much regret no one from SCCC was able to attend, but I am preparing a press release in support of the bill, contacting members in the area and notifying them of the upcoming hearing, and contacting the legislator's office. If you have any further updates, please don't hesitate to e-mail them, or even pick up the phone and call. Preferably, before the fact!

Thanks,

David Burnett
Midwest Regional Director
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
David.Burnett@concealedcampus.org
(859) 576-7522"

baker437
10-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Thank you for your email on House Bill 5474. The bill was expected to be voted on in the House Tourism Committee this morning, which I serve on, but it was later tabled so that additional work can be done on the content. I expect changes and clarifications will be made.

I will keep your concerns in mind should the bill be schedule for a vote in the weeks ahead. Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Kenneth B. Horn
State Representative
94th District

Sig232
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info Tallbear. MGO is lucky to have an excellent member like you. :)