PDA

View Full Version : Gun Stock Building

jgorski
10-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I am toying with the idea of building my own sporterized custom stock for a jap 6.5. Anyone out there with any basic starting instructions. I am ussually pretty handi with most things but have never tried anything like this before.:idea:

pilot22
10-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Does it have a stock on there now that you want to duplicate,or do you want to create your own style of stock? The reason i was wondering is that I have a Dupli-Carver to duplicate gun stocks etc. I havn't used it yet as I just recently aquired it. Need to do set up and a couple trial runs. Interested in what you end up with.

pkuptruck
10-15-2009, 03:29 AM
one option is to mangle your current , issued stock for practice...
its kind of fun... and might even look good when done! :scratch:

Another option to you, is to get a stock that is 95% inletted, but not
so much on the outside.... and then play with it until you get where you
need to be .... there are a ton of these suppliers in the back of
shotgunnews or gun digest, or some other glossy mags out there.

I tried it once with an old mauser I made in the early 80's.... I was a lot
younger then, and had the patience of a 3 year old... ended up buying
a synthetic.... LOL. BUt I did learn alot about wood, shaping, fitting ,e tc.

:woohoo1:

jgorski
10-15-2009, 10:24 AM
I would like to start out with a completely new stock. The stock that is on the gun now is the original stock and although it is a little rough it would work if it was not so short. I myself have a very short reach but the current stock would work for like 10 or 12 year old kids, the butt stock is probably 3-4 inches shorter than a standard stock. Maybe I'll build a practice stock (block) and then i could send it off to you (Pilot22) to have the cut outs done. We'll see how that goes and then maybe do a real one on you machine. ???