PDA

View Full Version : Looking to use land for range shooting

PWND3r
10-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Me and my buddies would like to use some land to shoot our guns on at some targets. We're not looking to hunt or anything, we will clean up after ourselves and we can compensate.

Johnnie Nepal
10-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Since location doesn't seem to be a concern, I would suggest the Pit in Lapeer.

who dat
10-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Since location doesn't seem to be a concern, I would suggest the Pit in Lapeer.
I know a little place just outside of Boulder. Where are you?

PWND3r
10-22-2009, 07:01 AM
I know a little place just outside of Boulder. Where are you?

Oops, I'm in Warren. We're just tired of spending $100+ at the ranges, and shooting at paper targets. Having to wait between rounds, we'd just like to try something new.

pgaplayerless
10-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Oops, I'm in Warren. We're just tired of spending $100+ at the ranges, and shooting at paper targets. Having to wait between rounds, we'd just like to try something new.

I'm sure the land in the 48205 zip is good place for that.

Mainspring
10-27-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm sure the land in the 48205 zip is good place for that.

:lipseal: :lipseal: :lipseal: :lipseal: :lipseal: :lipseal:

SIG229R
10-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Try Family Shooters Corral over in Eaton Rapids, they have 25yrds-300yrds and no stupid rules like slow fire, they will allow full auto there, and you can clean your weapons while people are down range changing targets, the DNR ranges are a Joke, they do target changes every 15 minutes and you must stay behind the yellow line, no rapid fire, only 1 round in the magazine, and a bunch of high strung Morons looking over your shoulder every 3 minutes acting like they are the King of the range.

www.familyshooterscorral.com

SR*77
10-29-2009, 05:28 PM
damn, its a haul for me but it looks fun, I wish there was some place like that close by metro Detroit

JimSig
10-29-2009, 06:34 PM
I always wanted to shoot milk jugs filled with water and steel plates and stuff just as you see on you tube..And yes I want to clean up all the mess afterwards, but shooting is fun. Someday...by the way that place at Eaton Rapids is cool, but way far for me.

SR*77
11-03-2009, 05:49 PM
My wife and I are going out to Family Shooters, weather permitting, 11/13 to burn up some .22, 7.62 and find some ammo that will work in my Saiga. Maybe I'll bring the camera.

PWND3r
11-04-2009, 05:54 PM
My wife and I are going out to Family Shooters, weather permitting, 11/13 to burn up some .22, 7.62 and find some ammo that will work in my Saiga. Maybe I'll bring the camera.

I might go this weekend.

SR*77
11-05-2009, 05:27 PM
let me know how it is, I dont want to drive an hour plus one way to be disappointed and not be able to rapid fire, especially the Saiga.

I have a video on my cell phone of my 4'11" wife shooting it, :biggrin: I want to see her do it rapid fire

PWND3r
11-06-2009, 07:39 AM
let me know how it is, I dont want to drive an hour plus one way to be disappointed and not be able to rapid fire, especially the Saiga.

I have a video on my cell phone of my 4'11" wife shooting it, :biggrin: I want to see her do it rapid fire

I just mapquested it and I don't think I'll be going anymore, it's almost 2 hours away.

DOUGHBOY RACING
11-06-2009, 08:05 AM
I have been there with Sig229 and they are a great bunch of folks, best chance to do rapid fire is during the week as the owner said he gets busy on the weekend. When I was there the owner was giving me tips on my point and shoot technique, double taps triple taps. I have nothing but great exp to say about that place well worth an hour to hour and a half drive for sure.

Sigman
11-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Try Family Shooters Corral over in Eaton Rapids, they have 25yrds-300yrds and no stupid rules like slow fire, they will allow full auto there, and you can clean your weapons while people are down range changing targets, the DNR ranges are a Joke, they do target changes every 15 minutes and you must stay behind the yellow line, no rapid fire, only 1 round in the magazine, and a bunch of high strung Morons looking over your shoulder every 3 minutes acting like they are the King of the range.

www.familyshooterscorral.com
I agree with you on everything else about state ranges but you are allowed 6rnds at state ranges.

SR*77
11-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Well we didnt make it to Family, instead we went to Island lake. It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. The only problem I had was when I was handing a gun off to my wife in the next lane and I got yelled at, I understand, it was stupid. Even though the action was open and the mag. was still on my table. The R.O.'s where pretty cool and actually helped me with holding my 9mm to be more acurate, (its my first hand gun).
We where up there for about 3 hours, not bad for $7 per person plus targets. Also the laser I had mounted on her M&P fell off while she was shooting it on some sand bags (we think, we didnt notice until we got home). I know for sure we are going back again.

TheLaxPlayer
12-07-2009, 08:57 AM
I agree with you on everything else about state ranges but you are allowed 6rnds at state ranges.

This seems to vary with who is working on a given day. At the Pontiac Lake DNR range I've been told 1 round in the gun, 3 rounds, 5 rounds, and some days that there was no rule and a full mag was ok. I have only seen them hassle rifle shooters about this rule as well, the pistol guys always run full mags and I've never seen them have a problem with it.

Hawgrider
12-07-2009, 10:05 AM
This seems to vary with who is working on a given day. At the Pontiac Lake DNR range I've been told 1 round in the gun, 3 rounds, 5 rounds, and some days that there was no rule and a full mag was ok. I have only seen them hassle rifle shooters about this rule as well, the pistol guys always run full mags and I've never seen them have a problem with it.

Not true!

I shoot there quite often for over 15 years .....Its always been no more than 6 rounds in any mag.... rifle or pistol...... The only time they will tell you one round in the gun is when you are first sighting in and getting on paper then its 6 rounds after that. It is one shot every 3 seconds. Pistol guys have never been allowed to run full mags Some pistols now hold 17 rounds or more simply not true. 6 rounds in a mag period.
You have been misinformed. Even with the old range officers these rules still applied. Now that there is a new team of range officers there it is even stricter. They will now put a R/O down by the pistol guys to hawk them and keep them from violating any of there hardcore rules.

TheLaxPlayer
12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I don't know the "official" rules or where they might be found, I was just stating what I've seen and been told on various days. It's been a year or so since I've heard anything about the rules though as lately I've only been going there to shoot a single shot rifle.

Greggos
12-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Yah, it IS an unholy riot.
First time I did milk jugs filled with water it was an AR-15.
I was SO impressed I went and bought my own rifle.
After I got it, we went out with Charles Chips cans filled with water and that was plain amazing.
All this and more at Bald Mountain range LOOONG before it went civilian on us.
Then there was the time we got some AP at a Goodman's show, went up north and found this old AMC Hornet and...

Okay...back on topic.

I thought it was off the scale of cool.
I always wanted to shoot milk jugs filled with water and steel plates and stuff just as you see on you tube..And yes I want to clean up all the mess afterwards, but shooting is fun. Someday...by the way that place at Eaton Rapids is cool, but way far for me.