PDA

View Full Version : Hunting on Sundays

AMSR22
10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I heard someone say that you can't hunt Sundays in Livingston County? Is this true?

What about St. Clair County? Can you hunt on Sundays there?

RevDerb
10-23-2009, 08:11 PM
What does the DNR booklet say?

AMSR22
10-23-2009, 08:18 PM
What does the DNR booklet say?

I looked, but could not find an answer to my question, so I thought I would pose it here.

Diverdave
10-23-2009, 08:59 PM
From the DNR website:

"As of December 1, 2003, all Sunday hunting closures have been repealed by Public Acts 223 and 224 of 2003."

But:
"Parts of townships in these counties are closed to hunting or restricted to types of firearms or the discharge of firearms as posted: Alcona, Arenac, Barry, Berrien, Crawford, Dickinson, Eaton, Emmet, Genesee, Iosco, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Livingston, Macomb, Manistee, Mason, Oakland, Otsego, Ottawa, Presque Isle, Saginaw, St. Clair, Washtenaw and Wayne. These areas are posted with the restrictions. For descriptions, contact the appropriate township clerk or township police department."

AMSR22
10-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the response. That kinda stinks. I've never hunted down here in the southern half of the lower peninsula, so these restrictions are new to me. I'll contact the township in St Clair County where I am hunting this year. If we can't hunt with a shotgun/muzzleloader on sundays, I guess I'm completely SOL the first weekend of the season since the season starts on a sunday this year?:confused:

TomE
10-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Sunday Blue Laws on the FIRST(1st): Day of the week,not the last:thdown:

ro2
10-26-2009, 09:05 PM
it amazes me all these rediculous antiquated rules have not been pulled off the books

langenc
10-26-2009, 09:46 PM
I know the one in Crawford is the area surrounding a high school and applies to all days of the week.

AMSR22
10-27-2009, 05:31 AM
I checked with the township yesterday, who was clueless. They pointed me in the direction of the Sheriffs Office, who then told me to call the DNR......

I finally just talked to some of the boys at the fire station, who confirmed that you can't hunt Sundays there.

Guess I'll be taking monday off.;-)

Hawgrider
10-27-2009, 05:40 AM
The Law used to read when I was growing up out there. You couldn't hunt on Sunday in Livingston county on private land. But you could on state land. At least thats how I remember it. By the sounds of the copy paste from diverdave that is no more....

From the DNR website:

"As of December 1, 2003, all Sunday hunting closures have been repealed by Public Acts 223 and 224 of 2003."

sullyxlh
10-27-2009, 08:07 AM
I checked with the township yesterday, who was clueless. They pointed me in the direction of the Sheriffs Office, who then told me to call the DNR......
I finally just talked to some of the boys at the fire station, who confirmed that you can't hunt Sundays there.
Them fire boys are FOS
As others have stated
That law was repealed in '03

langenc
10-27-2009, 10:07 AM

'....all Sunday hunting closures have been repealed....'

Not having read 223 and 224 I guess I dont know what that means. By itself to me it means -no more closed hunting on Sunday... but then I misunderstand much (lots of things). Must have been written by a lawyer.

No Sunday hunting was passed back in the 1880s or 1890s to prevent blacks from hunting on their day off. Those days also gave us MI 'gun registration' and very controlled CCW-for the same reason.

fbuckner
10-27-2009, 11:31 AM
They should just remove any mention of sunday hunting and just clarify the areas with restricted firearms. Marion Twp does not allow hunting with handguns.

AMSR22
10-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Them fire boys are FOS
As others have stated
That law was repealed in '03

I don't believe they're full of it, as the post on the 1st page, out of the handbook, states that some counties still have township ordinances dictating that some firearms are not to be discharged on Sundays. At least that's how I read it. I believe thats what the firefighters were talking about. It'd been lovely if someone at the Sheriffs Department returned my phone call today.....

Leader
10-30-2009, 08:48 AM
I don't believe they're full of it, as the post on the 1st page, out of the handbook, states that some counties still have township ordinances dictating that some firearms are not to be discharged on Sundays. At least that's how I read it. I believe thats what the firefighters were talking about. It'd been lovely if someone at the Sheriffs Department returned my phone call today.....

I know I can hunt on Sundays in Livingston county, what township are you looking at?

"Since 1992, the legislature has repealed local acts
banning Sunday hunting in seven counties, either
through a direct repeal of the local act (Monroe,
Livingston, and Shiawassee counties) or through a
repeal contingent upon approval of a referendum by
voters in the affected county (Sanilac, Lapeer, and
Huron counties). "

I also know that if I want to find out about firearm laws I NEVER ask LEO's. They are under NO obligation to tell you the truth and lie to the public as a normal part of their job daily. The courts have ruled over & over that cops may lie when dealing with citizens.

AMSR22
10-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Berlin Twp, St Clair County. I talked to someone in Lansing from the DNR Law Enforcement Division and after looking at whatever he had in front of him, he told me that the township wasn't listed, so therefore it must be ok. I made sure to get his name, and consider it good to go on Sundays!

dpgperftest
10-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I heard someone say that you can't hunt Sundays in Livingston County? Is this true?

What about St. Clair County? Can you hunt on Sundays there?

on privet land only for sunday