PDA

View Full Version : Polish Chamber

TomE
10-24-2009, 05:31 AM
Does anyone polish their chambers?It was recommended to remove the tool marks left by the reamer using in manufacturing on my Taurus PT 709 to aid in ejecting the spent casing.I was going to try a 3/8" wood dowel ,with a cloth around it and some compound.Does this sound reasonable?I have to wait for FedEx to bring it back to me first though.

RifleGuy
10-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Be VERY gentle, and do not use an aggressive compound! Work slowly, and don't try to remove all the tool marks. Once you have brought it up to a high luster, you will likely see some remaining tool marks, but function will still (should) be greatly improved.

Imshootin
10-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Does anyone polish their chambers?It was recommended to remove the tool marks left by the reamer using in manufacturing on my Taurus PT 709 to aid in ejecting the spent casing.I was going to try a 3/8" wood dowel ,with a cloth around it and some compound.Does this sound reasonable?I have to wait for FedEx to bring it back to me first though.

Who's FedEx bringing it back from. Hopefully not from Taurus. :shocked:

TomE
10-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Who's FedEx bringing it back from. Hopefully not from Taurus. :shocked:

Had to send it back to Taurus because of FTE issues.I wonder if polishing the chamber will void the warranty?I was going to use some 3M Super Duty Compound designed for paint finishes,because it what I have in stock,its not too abrasive on metal.

Imshootin
10-24-2009, 10:24 AM
If it's coming back from Taurus, they may have already done a little polishing. Try it out first. I was concerned that Taurus was sending the gun back and had suggested you get the chamber polished. It may work perfect when it comes back.

wadevb1
10-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Flitz is a great compound. Varmint Al link for polishing chambers:

http://varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Polish_Chamber

digitalsandwich
10-24-2009, 10:32 PM

I second that. I polished the chamber on my SW99 with Flitz, and no more FTE (or any other failures) with over 500 rounds.

-DS

TomE
10-24-2009, 10:34 PM
He sure don't read like the"Varmint Al Bundy"

pkuptruck
10-28-2009, 02:42 AM
probably the best and most inexpensive "polishing compound" ou there
is good old fashion toothPASTE.. ( not the gel... paste.. )

And, it can be done without ticking off the wife while watching tv, using a q-tip, or your finger.......:naughty:

Best part is, it is water soluable, and it is nearly impossible to remove too much metal.. yet leaves a nice shine, and prevents cavities! :doh:

TFin04
10-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Why would you work on something before knowing what its current reliability is like?

If it ain't broke...

TomE
10-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Why would you work on something before knowing what its current reliability is like?

If it ain't broke...
Its in Florida at Tauras International getting a FTE issue corrected,so current reliabilty is like ?,It don't eject!

TFin04
10-28-2009, 09:51 PM
I think a reasonable plan of attack is to wait for it to return, shoot it, and see if it works.

Is it a carry gun? I'd have a hard time trusting a gun that was already sent back once unless I had a chance to shoot a lot of rounds through it before carrying it again.

If it is a carry gun, and comes back still not working, I wouldn't trust it at all. This is the toss up you play with Taurus (and some others). No company is perfect, but some companies are much closer to perfect than others.

BoBBerRider2009
10-29-2009, 02:14 PM
use a wooden dowel that smaller than the chamber and wrap it in 000 fine steel wool and that does a good job and it wont over polish the chamber but make sure you blow the reciever,and barrel out very good...do a throw cleaning after wards

TomE
10-31-2009, 10:46 AM
I think a reasonable plan of attack is to wait for it to return, shoot it, and see if it works.

Is it a carry gun? I'd have a hard time trusting a gun that was already sent back once unless I had a chance to shoot a lot of rounds through it before carrying it again.

If it is a carry gun, and comes back still not working, I wouldn't trust it at all. This is the toss up you play with Taurus (and some others). No company is perfect, but some companies are much closer to perfect than others.

All of these scenarios apply

TomE
12-05-2011, 09:10 AM

I just refound this link, I'll print out a copy and snail mail it to a friend near Detroit