PDA

View Full Version : First time bow hunting...

BravoKilo
10-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Finally after about 5 years of having something come up each deer season that kept me from going, I'm finally making it out in the field next weekend for my first attempt at bow hunting (actually first time hunting, period). I'll be heading up near Manistee to my boss's property who is also kind enough to let me borrow some of his gear.

Just curious if any of you here have any words of wisdom/tips/tricks/etc., in hopes that my first trip out will be a successful one :woohoo1:

Also, and I'm hoping I don't jinx myself here, any recommendations on a gutting/skinning knife? Have a bunch of EDC knives but nothing specific for hunting.

Made_in_Michigan
10-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Gutting/skinning knife... Something Small bladed (maybe 3") but VERY sharp and a skinning hook is a bonus. VERY nice for being able to palm it & use the tip of your finger to guide the tip of your knife when inside clipping those pesky bits of connective tissue. (don't forget something to split the breastbone if you are going for meat & not for mount. Much easier to gut if you split the chest.)

Practice a LOT with your equipment. Confidence in putting the arrow where you want it at a hay bale and a pie plate will give you confidence in the woods when there are 1,000 things running through your head.

When you get buck fever when you finally see a deer, remember to breath! When your heart is pounding (and it will be) and your trying to be still, you will have a tendency to hold your breath. This, combined with your pounding heart will give you the shakes pretty quick causing your accuracy to REALLY suffer.

Don't forget to look around. Even if you don't see a deer, there are a million things of beauty in Michigan woods for you to enjoy and take in. The last time I was out I found myself entertained by a titmouse who was eating bugs out of the bark in the tree next to mine. Very cool when you blend in so well that when taking a break he parked on my bowhanger about 10 inches from my head.

Enjoy & welcome to the family.

BravoKilo
10-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Bit of a last minute decision to make it out hunting, so it's going to be a crash course in shooting as it's been almost a decade since I last shot a bow and I will be using my boss's son's bow (same size as me... hoping to have similar draw lengths), but should have the majority of Friday to practice then spend all day Sat/Sun in the field.
Crossing my fingers to bag a deer but I'm more excited to simply get out there and put one hunt under my belt.

Any comment on using scent block or leaving my gear outside for a good week before?

JimSig
10-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Best of luck..

Toledo Kid
10-26-2009, 01:58 AM
Gutting/skinning knife... Something Small bladed (maybe 3") but VERY sharp and a skinning hook is a bonus. VERY nice for being able to palm it & use the tip of your finger to guide the tip of your knife when inside clipping those pesky bits of connective tissue. (don't forget something to split the breastbone if you are going for meat & not for mount. Much easier to gut if you split the chest.)

Practice a LOT with your equipment. Confidence in putting the arrow where you want it at a hay bale and a pie plate will give you confidence in the woods when there are 1,000 things running through your head.

When you get buck fever when you finally see a deer, remember to breath! When your heart is pounding (and it will be) and your trying to be still, you will have a tendency to hold your breath. This, combined with your pounding heart will give you the shakes pretty quick causing your accuracy to REALLY suffer.

Don't forget to look around. Even if you don't see a deer, there are a million things of beauty in Michigan woods for you to enjoy and take in. The last time I was out I found myself entertained by a titmouse who was eating bugs out of the bark in the tree next to mine. Very cool when you blend in so well that when taking a break he parked on my bowhanger about 10 inches from my head.

Enjoy & welcome to the family.Great advice!!!
Any Deer hunting in Michigan for me is more then just that.
I think one of the most things I yern for every year is the Chickadees buzzing around. They warm ya up when your cold with their entertainment.
I can't remember not ever having one not land on my rifle barrel or my feet as to say 'Hello" to me year after year!!!

http://blog.chosun.com/web_file/blog/33/30033/3/chickadee.jpg

myersbuck
10-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Patience Patience Patience

Done Deal
10-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Be proficient with the bow. You might even want to practice a time or two from an elevated platform if that is what you are hunting from.

DO NOT overgrip the bow (wiggle your fingers if need be to make sure that you aren't). I inhale as I draw, wiggle my fingers as I double check site alignment and exhale, picking a small spot for the arrow rather than the whole deer, and squeeze the trigger.

Better to pass than let off a poorly placed arrow because you are not focused.

I know....easy for me to say but.....while I am no ace archer....I know how to kill bucks when the moment of truth arrives.

If you hunt a tree, wear a harness and when you are hooked up....move around a bit to check your range of motion should Bullwinkle make an appearance.

If you do whack one.....concentrate on the path that the deer takes as long as you can see/hear it and.....get a real good eyeball on where it was when you shot it. Although good hits generally result in a dead deer before you ever get out of the tree, do NOT be in a rush to do so. In fact, light 'em if ya got 'em. Or, get another arrow ready because ya never no when another deer might make an appearance.

As far as knives, I prefer small blades and love using a pelvis saw instead of messing around trying to bust the pelvis on a mature deer. For one deer, any decent folder should hold an edge long enough to gut it, even if you are ripping up through the rib cage for easier access.

I don't know how long you intend to let the deer hang but, even with cooler temps, rinse the blood from the cavity and get the mini's out before they case over (go good grilled and with a cold beer) and also get the esophagus out (which most folks don't do).

Have fun, and most importantly, be safe. And yes, with a CPL you can tote a pistol in the woods in case of cougar attacks....just not in the bars where they may be more prevelant anyway. Enjoy your time afield.

yocan
11-05-2009, 02:21 AM
I know its a little late, but don't be at your maximum draw when your cold you won't be able to pull as much weight.

BravoKilo
11-09-2009, 12:54 AM
I know its a little late, but don't be at your maximum draw when your cold you won't be able to pull as much weight.

If I only had the foresight to realize as much I would've made it a point to strengthen my upper body ahead of time.
Long story short... shoulder surgery (left shoulder/support arm) years ago made for an unpleasant/somewhat painful time drawing the bow. Even had to drop the draw weight down from 55 lbs to keep my shoulder from subluxating/popping out (problem I had pre-surgery).

To top it off the only glimpse I caught was of a doe's ass 40+ yds. away in heavy brush. Regardless of that, it was a great time out and am looking forward to it again.

A group of chickadees pecking through the brush had me thinking a deer was nearby on a couple occasions :phaser: -- amazing how much louder sounds are out in the middle of nowhere. Boss also had a porcupine making it's way up his climbing sticks to within a couple feet of his stand...! :crazy: Lucky for him it backed down after a few minutes.

All in all it was a great time and I have my fingers crossed for firearm season

Done Deal
11-09-2009, 09:16 AM
If I only had the foresight to realize as much I would've made it a point to strengthen my upper body ahead of time.
Long story short... shoulder surgery (left shoulder/support arm) years ago made for an unpleasant/somewhat painful time drawing the bow. Even had to drop the draw weight down from 55 lbs to keep my shoulder from subluxating/popping out (problem I had pre-surgery).

I have found that you can alter your draw technique and cheat that some.

I start my draw with my release hand held out a bit in front of my jaw. Then, I push the bow out with my left hand and pull back with my right and anchor. That way, not nearly so much stress is put on either shoulder.

That may not work for you as well but, give it a try.