PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 tapped crooked

detroit25
10-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I have a 10/22 that I am unable to zero. After looking closely I noticed the the holes drilled in the top of the reciever seem to be slightly off center. I alway seem to me shooting to the right, even with the scope fully adjusted I am exactly 1 mil (about 3.6 MOA if I am correct).

Any suggestions? I am looking to do without a major inverstment.

He is one thing I found:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=152777

mishooter
10-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I have a 10/22 that I am unable to zero. After looking closely I noticed the the holes drilled in the top of the reciever seem to be slightly off center.If the receiver was tapped off-center in such a manner so as to apply torque to the scope tube, you will never get it zeroed, and you may damage the scope.

Any suggestions? I am looking to do without a major inverstment.

He is one thing I found:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=152777You can try those. They will compensate for what I described above.

Note that if, by "unable to zero" you mean the mounting is so off-center that you run out of lateral adjustment, and it's not because of the scope tube being bent, these probably won't do anything for you. What they do is act like swivels or bearings, in a way, so a scope tube will remain true even if the mounts aren't. Also: If they're too far out-of-whack, even those Burris rings won't take all the bend out.

pkuptruck
10-26-2009, 12:54 PM
While it is a pain in the arse.... doo-doo happens..

You could either send the reciever/barrel BACK to ruger ( measure that time
in months...not days or weeks...LOL)

Or you could go to a GOOD ,QUALIFIED machinist/gunsmith and have NEW
holes drilled and tapped square, just 1/8 inch from those already there..
Fill those other holes in with little screws made for such things....

That would be FASTER.... more accurate and better for you in the long run..

:scratch:

detroit25
10-26-2009, 03:25 PM
If the receiver was tapped off-center in such a manner so as to apply torque to the scope tube, you will never get it zeroed, and you may damage the scope.

You can try those. They will compensate for what I described above.

Note that if, by "unable to zero" you mean the mounting is so off-center that you run out of lateral adjustment, and it's not because of the scope tube being bent, these probably won't do anything for you. What they do is act like swivels or bearings, in a way, so a scope tube will remain true even if the mounts aren't. Also: If they're too far out-of-whack, even those Burris rings won't take all the bend out.

Correct I run out of lateral adjustment

detroit25
10-26-2009, 03:26 PM
While it is a pain in the arse.... doo-doo happens..

You could either send the reciever/barrel BACK to ruger ( measure that time
in months...not days or weeks...LOL)

Or you could go to a GOOD ,QUALIFIED machinist/gunsmith and have NEW
holes drilled and tapped square, just 1/8 inch from those already there..
Fill those other holes in with little screws made for such things....

That would be FASTER.... more accurate and better for you in the long run..

:scratch:

I had a feeling someone would say that. Whos a good gunsmith down in my neck of the woods?

TomE
10-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I think I have the same issue with mty 10/22,ran out of windage,1 1/2 inches off to the left at 20 yds,it is a $20 Simmons with mounts included,I thought it was the POS scope,maybe not.WTF 3 out of 4 guns bought new aren't right

TomE
10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I am in the process of shimming my scope on the mounts to see if that will correct it,I am using some .010 feeler stock trimmed down and will be using some gun-tite loctite for a sort of bedding compound,we'll see.

josey wales
10-30-2009, 04:14 PM
millett angle-loc rings will solve your problem,they are windage adjustable.

http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/cat09/agleloc_weaverstyle