PDA

View Full Version : Deer baiting Yes or NO?

dougwg
11-01-2009, 11:27 AM
This link (http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/intrim1_246970_7.pdf) says "The interim order expires on February 26, 2009" so it appears that we may again bait.

So can we or can't we?

Please back up your post with FACTS and Cites if possible.

Buzzcat
11-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Nope.

Avenger069
11-01-2009, 11:46 AM
It depends.

LP = No

UP = Depending on your location you either can or can with a permit.

Avenger069
11-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Don't look at the interim order. If you go right to the updated full Wildlife Conservation Order you will see the history of the section related to baiting. It currently shows the below history. NOTE: Interim order was issued Aug 26, 2008 follwed by Am. 15 Effective Oct 10, 2008:

History: ***. Mar 31, 1989; Am. 23, 1989, ***. Sep 1, 1990; Am. 4, 1990, ***. Sep 1, 1990; Am. 2, 1993, ***. Sep 1, 1993; Am. 19, 1993, ***. Sep 10, 1993; Am. 3, 1994, ***. Sep 1, 1994; Am. 2, 1998, ***. May 15, 1998; Am. 15, 1998, ***. Sep 10, 1998; Am. 1, 1999, ***. Apr 1, 1999; Am. 3, 1999, ***. May 1, 1999; Am. 11, 1999, ***. Jul 8, 1999; Am. 9, 2000, ***. Jun 9, 2000; Interim Order 3, 2001, ***. Oct 1, 2001; Am. 8, 2002, ***. Jun 8, 2002; Am. 2, 2003, ***. Apr 12, 2003; Am. 8, 2008, ***. Jun 6, 2008; Am. .Interim Order 1, 2008, ***. Aug 26, 2008; Am. 15, 2008, ***. Oct 10, 2008

Sometimes links to the .gov site are jacked up but try this (See Ch 3.100):

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ChapterIII_128581_7.pdf

Or in html format: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Wcao_134367_7.html

hogfarmer223
11-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Just post a sign by your pile: squirrels and rabbits only NO DEER ALLOWED:grin:

Made_in_Michigan
11-12-2009, 07:56 PM
No law to site, but I just got this today in my email from the DNR:

As the opening day of firearm deer hunting season approaches, the
Department of Natural Resources reminds hunters that it is illegal to
feed or bait deer in the Lower Peninsula.

Despite the presence of bagged corn and carrots at many stores across
the state, placing feed that is accessible to deer in the fields and
forests of the Lower Peninsula is a misdemeanor violation, punishable by
a fine of up to $500 and up to 90 days in jail.

“We are taking this seriously and hunters and landowners should,
too,” said DNR Law Division Chief Gary Hagler. “We are responding to
complaints about illegal feeding or baiting and encourage citizens to
continue reporting any illegal activity to the Report All Poaching
hotline.”

Bait or feed consists of any substance -- grain, fruits, vegetables,
hay, salt or minerals, whether natural or manufactured -- that can be
ingested by deer.

The ban does not apply to scent products that use odor to attract
deer.

The Natural Resources Commission enacted the Lower Peninsula bait and
feed ban in 2008 after a deer that tested positive for chronic wasting
disease was discovered in a privately owned herd in Kent County.

“One of the basic principles of preventing the spread of disease is
to minimize contact among infected individuals,” said DNR Wildlife
Division Chief Russ Mason. “Baiting and feeding cause deer and other
animals to congregate in an unnatural manner. Eliminating bait and feed
from deer range is a classic case of an ounce of prevention being worth
way more than a pound of cure.”

The Report All Poaching hotline is 800-292-7800.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management,
accessible use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for
current and future generations.

MarkoPo
11-12-2009, 08:13 PM
I just got that same e-mail today. It's a shame really, the only brain wasting disease in Michigan was in a PRIVATE owned illegal heard of deer. :roll:

Made_in_Michigan
11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I just got that same e-mail today. It's a shame really, the only brain wasting disease in Michigan was in a PRIVATE owned illegal heard of deer. :roll:

(don't forget that was a Private owned deer IMPORTED from Wisconson)

This is nothing more than a DNR powergrab as they are trying to do away with private ranches.

rein1
11-12-2009, 09:34 PM
i hunt on 60 acres of private land in the thumb that has farm land on one side and private land on the other two i went from seeing 40 or 50 deer a day down to 3 or 4 if i'm lucky.
the dnr has to get out of deer management before there is noting left. i have 4 trail cameras out and i have yet to get a pic of a descent deer. either i bait to try to pull the deer out of the corn or i save myself the license fees and hunt out of state.

Made_in_Michigan
11-12-2009, 09:44 PM
i hunt on 60 acres of private land in the thumb that has farm land on one side and private land on the other two i went from seeing 40 or 50 deer a day down to 3 or 4 if i'm lucky.
the dnr has to get out of deer management before there is noting left. i have 4 trail cameras out and i have yet to get a pic of a descent deer. either i bait to try to pull the deer out of the corn or i save myself the license fees and hunt out of state.

I'm a ways south of you, and all the corn around here is still standing too. I've seen a few (mostly yearlings) this year, but the mature dear are living in the corn. I'm hoping gun season will push some of them around, if they leave cover, I got em.

Edit: I'm hunting south of you (Frankenmuth) not the thumb area you hunt.

Kimberguy1371
11-12-2009, 09:56 PM
ok, so we can't bait.... does that make my apple tree illegal? does it make moving my apples out of my yard and into the woods where my stand is illegal?

if i were to have a garden in the woods for survival purposes and the deer happened to enjoy the food grown and it happens to be in front of my stand, would that be illegal??? where is the line drawn on this?

fr3db3ar
11-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Baiting is throwing things in a pile where deer would avert normal activity to congregate near said pile and possibly touch noses, thereby transferring possible diseases.

If you plant a garden or an orchard and they come to it naturally....that is all perfectly legal by my understanding.

rein1
11-12-2009, 10:03 PM
ok, so we can't bait.... does that make my apple tree illegal? does it make moving my apples out of my yard and into the woods where my stand is illegal?

if i were to have a garden in the woods for survival purposes and the deer happened to enjoy the food grown and it happens to be in front of my stand, would that be illegal??? where is the line drawn on this?

you can hunt by apple trees and food plots you just cant (bait)deer. i think this has noting to do with disease but rather with animal rights people putting up a bitch to the state

Kimberguy1371
11-12-2009, 11:02 PM
you can hunt by apple trees and food plots you just cant (bait)deer. i think this has noting to do with disease but rather with animal rights people putting up a bitch to the state

so moving the apples is a no go.... what about sweetening the apples with some molasses or something?

DOUGHBOY RACING
11-12-2009, 11:31 PM
So they do not eat together, does this mean they gotta take turns at the local watering hole as well :idea2:

dougwg
11-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Gee I hope I don't spill any apple juice on the ground while taking a drink while up in my stand.......

jcurtis
11-13-2009, 08:26 AM
I haven't hunted over bait since I was 15. I find that setting up on natural funnel points and food sources produces more deer and they are less wary. Learn, adapt, overcome.

And tell your local farmers to CUT THE DAMN CORN.

Hawgrider
11-13-2009, 09:33 AM
No law to site, but I just got this today in my email from the DNR:

I also got the same letter...... No Baiting in the lower!

Ya know it grinds my arse a bit. The gas stations are selling it all over. People are buying it. Some hunters are using it. I see it all over state land near tree stands and ground blinds. Yet no enforcement ! They say they are going to but they are so understaffed i don't see how they can......Just hope you not the unlucky one to be busted! 500.00 fine looks pretty steep to me.

dougwg
11-13-2009, 09:36 AM
I haven't hunted over bait since I was 15. I find that setting up on natural funnel points and food sources produces more deer and they are less wary. Learn, adapt, overcome.

That's if you're lucky enough to have land like that.

Some have to play the cards they're delt.

jcurtis
11-13-2009, 09:41 AM
That's if you're lucky enough to have land like that.

Some have to play the cards they're delt.

I hunt both public and private land and I don't own any of my own land. I scout and I work hard to find good hunting areas and sometimes I don't see deer either, but more often than not I do.

dougwg
11-13-2009, 09:50 AM
I refuse to hunt public for reasons I'm sure you're aware of.

The private land I hunt on is all swampy thicket. All of my shots on deer have been in the range of 10-15 yards and I can't see past 20 yards... it's just too thick.

We did go out and cleared some. I hope this year is better then last.

OH...and good luck hunting! Can't hardly wait for Sunday.

DOUGHBOY RACING
11-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Just drive down I94 around Jackson or I69 heading over to mid michigan, everytime I travel those roads I see about 10-20 dead deer on the sides as well as countless live deer on the sides or standng in nearby fields :spam: Roadkill Cafe

MINISFORME
11-13-2009, 10:02 AM
I too think the DNR should stay out of the hunter's business as far as baiting. Geez , one can put in food plots all they want, but someone without private property can't legally throw out a few apples???? What a crock.
I can understand the law being against people dumping TRUCK LOADS of bait in a single pile but other than that-----the DNR Nazi's need to leave hunter's alone.

Jeff

rein1
11-13-2009, 11:30 AM

corn is one of the problems where dealing with but the numbers of deer in the area i hunt has dwindled down to say the least. i would rather hunt funnel points and such but the deer are not coming out of the corn. 4 game cams going and no descent pics yet. i just hope for opener there are some people driving some of the corn fields and small woods in the area.
i was lucky enough last year to pull a bear tag so i hunted by bruce crossing i seen more deer up there than i did hunting private land in the thumb.
well i hope everybody has a safe hunt this year and good luck..

South_Shore
11-13-2009, 06:59 PM
As far as I know, there are basically no restrictions against baiting where I'm from.

Now as for feeding deer during the winter, that'll land you in the slammer.

dpgperftest
11-13-2009, 09:52 PM
This link (http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/intrim1_246970_7.pdf) says "The interim order expires on February 26, 2009" so it appears that we may again bait.

So can we or can't we?

Please back up your post with FACTS and Cites if possible.

when thay state your going to jail just tell them is a big bird feeder:popcorn:

dpgperftest
11-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Just drive down I94 around Jackson or I69 heading over to mid michigan, everytime I travel those roads I see about 10-20 dead deer on the sides as well as countless live deer on the sides or standng in nearby fields :spam: Roadkill Cafe
thats whare it go

Groo
11-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I just got that same e-mail today. It's a shame really, the only brain wasting disease in Michigan was in Lansing. :roll:

Fixed it for ya.

joed
11-25-2009, 03:27 PM
A guy I work with got nabbed with a bait pile in Keluva near Luther. (Lower Peninsula). Fine: $310. That's an expensive deer hunting trip.

joe_robi
11-25-2009, 04:04 PM
ooops my lunch bag got a hole in it and my apple fell out, i cant eat a dirty apple.lol

Ruger
11-25-2009, 05:30 PM
The locals in Mio feed the turkeys! I've never seen a turkey eat sugar beets or carrots out of a turkey feeder. :smile:

_DK_
11-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Theres all sorts of apple trees on my brother property, they never get harvested though... and the dam deer keep eating all his corn, alfalfa and clover. Its a damn shame.

BoBBerRider2009
11-26-2009, 02:20 PM
The deer dont have time to eat off my bait pile anyways!!! :para:

Done Deal
12-04-2009, 12:59 PM
How many arrests/convictions are we seeing in comparison to the RAP complaints or other investigations where illegal baiting is discovered?

I think it might be interesting to see the ratios.....and see if the DNR is actually following up with the illegal activities.

All I know is that there is a helluva lot of bait being sold that is going somewhere and I have yet to see any convictions being reported in the local paper.

In fact, I heard through the grapevine that CO's were pretty much putting all the baiting complaints on the back burner and the RAP hotline even asks if the person reporting tresspassed to discover the illegal bait pile.

Hmmm.....

Marvin Hunter
12-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I was talking to guy who told me that he read about how the DNR is suppose to vote on whether the State will issue permits to bait for the 2010 season. Of course they are suppose to charge $15 for these permits; which if that's the case, the whole thing stinks of a pre-planned excuse to raise revenue and I hope Michigan-ders punish those who conspired to pull it off.

Just imagine the DNR taking away everyone's ability to hunt/shoot a firearm in the woods because it was found to damage the hearing of squirrels. Sure it pissed-off everybody for a year or so, but then once they've tamed us with their power, they can issue permits after a year and make $15 per head. Not to mention all the revenue the made on writing tickets. :deal2:

Anyway, whether that the case or not I don't know but I sure would like to hear if anyone else has heard about this and where. I googled it myself and didn't really come up with much, but I thought this the place to ask.

Oh and p.s. -- He also told me they were going to charge everyone $15 for crossbow permits in 2010, which is a whole nother can of worms.

pkuptruck
12-04-2009, 01:08 PM
The locals in Mio feed the turkeys! I've never seen a turkey eat sugar beets or carrots out of a turkey feeder. :smile:

sure they do... :coocoo: Thats why the feed is sold EVERYWHERE
in the lower, although its illegal...

Done Deal
12-05-2009, 09:50 AM
I was talking to guy who told me that he read about how the DNR is suppose to vote on whether the State will issue permits to bait for the 2010 season. Of course they are suppose to charge $15 for these permits; which if that's the case, the whole thing stinks of a pre-planned excuse to raise revenue and I hope Michigan-ders punish those who conspired to pull it off.

I heard a similar rumor but, the cost was $25 a permit.

One can reasonably assume that the health of the deer herd never has been the real reason for the restrictions and now with the state in such dire financial straights, why not try and generate a little revenue?

I will pay but....if they aren't really enforcing the baiting ban now....it isn't likely to happen after the permit system is put in place either. In fact, it will be even tougher to catch scofflaws then.

Marvin Hunter
12-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I heard a similar rumor but, the cost was $25 a permit.

One can reasonably assume that the health of the deer herd never has been the real reason for the restrictions and now with the state in such dire financial straights, why not try and generate a little revenue?

I will pay but....if they aren't really enforcing the baiting ban now....it isn't likely to happen after the permit system is put in place either. In fact, it will be even tougher to catch scofflaws then.

I hope you were being facetious, but I'll tell you why they shouldn't just "generate a little revenue" at the expense of law abiding hunters. Hunting is a means for people to provide for themselves and their families, and to impose new fees/charges that essentially make it a criminal act to not pay for their arbitrary revenue generation methods is disgusting. Veiled as a permit, it rings of the aristocratic rule of medieval Europe -- which restricted hunting to only the rich.

Regardless, since I've researched the topic, I've found no record of any such change to the baiting ban that is realistically being considered. It seems that it is mostly just a rumor.

Done Deal
12-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I hope you were being facetious, but I'll tell you why they shouldn't just "generate a little revenue" at the expense of law abiding hunters. Hunting is a means for people to provide for themselves and their families, and to impose new fees/charges that essentially make it a criminal act to not pay for their arbitrary revenue generation methods is disgusting. Veiled as a permit, it rings of the aristocratic rule of medieval Europe -- which restricted hunting to only the rich.

Regardless, since I've researched the topic, I've found no record of any such change to the baiting ban that is realistically being considered. It seems that it is mostly just a rumor.

I was not being facetious at all, why wouldn't Jenny and Co give the nod to a little cash flow at the expense of hunters? And since the state regulates the entire process, who says that it is any more arbitrary than some of the other rules that are promulgated?

Rumors will abound, especially in the wake of the less than stellar season we just had. But, like I said....I would still pay the $25 just to put deer where I want them to be (on my side of the fence).