PDA

View Full Version : State considers expansion of crossbow hunting

Hawgrider
11-06-2009, 09:35 AM
The Oakland Press (theoaklandpress.com), Serving Oakland County

Published: Friday, November 6, 2009

LANSING (AP) — The state is considering expanding options for crossbow hunting.

Michigan’s Natural Resources Commission was scheduled to meet Friday to begin discussing expanded opportunities to hunt with the crossbow.

Restrictions were loosened this year to allow hunters 12 years and older in southern Michigan to hunt deer during any season with crossbows.

In the rest of the state, hunters must be at least 50 years old to use crossbows during the archery season, but younger hunters can use crossbows during firearm season.

The commission is considering options including a crossbow deer season and a minimum age for crossbow use without a permit.

HABIT
11-07-2009, 01:24 AM
IMHO . . . It Should be just like archery season. Ten years old and up from Oct 1 to Jan 1 no season. The the next step would be to allow rifles state wide. Rifles state wide should have been allow as soon as you could be up a tree with a gun.
The only reason for another season(like we dont have enough) would be that you have to BUY a seperate license.:bs:

CaptnKirk
11-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Apparently there has been some wrong information somewhere along the line. According to the DNR site, the NRC does NOT have any meetings scheduled on this and the Associated Press is retracting the story.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr

The same regulations still apply.

Captn---

protectionisamust
11-07-2009, 07:27 AM
The the next step would be to allow rifles state wide. Rifles state wide should have been allow as soon as you could be up a tree with a gun.

I disagree on allowing rifles in the shotgun zone. I hunt over wide open farm land and I hate to think what it would be like shooting high powered rifles accross the open fields like that. I know there are some area's in the rifle zone that are wide open like the southern half, but there's alot more tree's up to the north to stop the bullet. I hear rounds fly by every year when sitting there with my shotgun, I could not imagine rifle rounds flying by from who knows where.

As far as the crossbow, they should open it up state wide. Its a good thing for the sport and will get more people involved in the outdoors.

Done Deal
11-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Archery shops will love it....

And, if history holds true.....alot of guys will get on board, especially with the baiting ban in effect.

Guys are whacking bucks at 50 yards with those darned things.....no telling how many are getting wounded at that range.

HABIT
11-08-2009, 01:24 PM
I disagree on allowing rifles in the shotgun zone. I hunt over wide open farm land and I hate to think what it would be like shooting high powered rifles accross the open fields like that. I know there are some area's in the rifle zone that are wide open like the southern half, but there's alot more tree's up to the north to stop the bullet. I hear rounds fly by every year when sitting there with my shotgun, I could not imagine rifle rounds flying by from who knows where.

As far as the crossbow, they should open it up state wide. Its a good thing for the sport and will get more people involved in the outdoors.

Point taken and I do understand where your coming from and agree to a certain extent. BUT if your 15' - 20' up a tree your pointed and hopefully shooting downward towards terra ferma and not upwards across an open field. It should be something to consider. They are varmit hunting now with high powered rifles why not White Tails.:pump:
As with much as everything else it mostly comes down to the person behind the trigger and their ability to posess a little common sence. :poke:

This would be a good topic for another thread but this is not it . . .

I totally agree with your last statement . . . .
"As far as the crossbow, they should open it up state wide. Its a good thing for the sport and will get more people involved in the outdoors."

AMEN I couldn't agree more.:score: