PDA

View Full Version : Hunting for the 1st time...

_DK_
11-13-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm heading to the thumb(upper) to my step brothers property next weekend, 21st and 22nd...

I got myself some wallyworld boots with thinsulate lining. some thermal undies. legs and long sleves... an orange hat and gloves... I really dont care what I shoot. I'm just looking to put meat in the freezer.... (the way I understand it is I can just buy a doe license for like $10, I have all the personal info from the property owner).... Should I get a regular permit as well? The way my step brother is talking is no one comes home empty handed... If they are not close enough for my 9mm I'll use a shotgun. the area is very thick, 10-20yrds max cleared with the trails.

I plan on butchering myself... trial and error method and turning the rest to burger. as I dont have money to process at a retail shop like butcherboy or blueribbon

xd-40
11-14-2009, 08:00 PM
good luck out there.

whether you need a buck tag as well, I don't know if there's regs about that.
I will share my philosophy.
buck tag only= see a deer, wait until you get a clear view of its head, make sure there's antlers there, if so, shoot, if not, don't.

doe tag only= see a deer, wait until you get a clear view of its head, make sure there's antlers there, if not, shoot, if so, don't.

both tags= see a deer, make sure it's a deer, shoot.

also, if using your 9mm doublecheck the regulations. I think 9mm qualifies as above minimum caliber, BUT make sure you doublecheck maximum round regulations. my understanding, may be wrong but doublecheck, is that with handguns, you are limited to 10 rds total. that's 9+1 CAPACITY not what's loaded, but what could be loaded.

good luck out there.

Made_in_Michigan
11-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Good luck on your first hunt!

I would get a buck license as well so you can shoot the first deer you see if you are looking for a freezer filler. The way gun season goes, you could shoot a huge doe at daybreak and have from 10AM on to bag yourself a buck....

Last year I shot mine at noon on opening day & didn't see another damn deer all season long (although I only made it out a few days)....

TFin04
11-14-2009, 08:34 PM
see a deer, make sure it's a deer, shoot.

How about make sure it's a deer you want to take.

Make sure it is within a range you are comfortable shooting.

Make sure you have a clear shot.

Make sure the deer is positioned where you can make an ethical shot.

Make sure the deer is positioned where you aren't going to spoil some (or a lot) of the meat by making a shot. (Had to help dress a deer last year that was shot straight on. Bullet shredded the important stuff and continued on through the gut sack and out the rear end. No thanks...)

There is a LOT more to hunting than "See a deer, shoot." That is pretty crappy advice IMO.

dougwg
11-14-2009, 08:43 PM
If using a 9mm, personally I wouldn't take any shot except a headshot, but thats just me.

I'll have the 12g with 00buck which is good for, in my opinion, up to 40 yards and I'll also have my Deagle in .44 mag

Good luck to you and everyone else, happy hunting!

remingtondude58
11-14-2009, 09:27 PM
also, if using your 9mm doublecheck the regulations. I think 9mm qualifies as above minimum caliber, BUT make sure you doublecheck maximum round regulations. my understanding, may be wrong but doublecheck, is that with handguns, you are limited to 10 rds total. that's 9+1 CAPACITY not what's loaded, but what could be loaded.

Close, only one round off
"A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined." (http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html)

Good luck! I would ask your step brother about the area's buck:doe ratio, if their is not many bucks, then just get the doe permit, but if you have a good chance of getting one, get the permit! It costs $15, and hey you may get a buck and a doe!

xd-40
11-15-2009, 01:13 AM
How about make sure it's a deer you want to take. "I really dont care what I shoot. I'm just looking to put meat in the freezer...."(OP)

Make sure it is within a range you are comfortable shooting. "If they are not close enough for my 9mm I'll use a shotgun. the area is very thick, 10-20yrds max cleared with the trails."(OP)

Make sure you have a clear shot. "cleared with the trails:OP perhaps I took a little for granted here, but when I hear "very thick" "cleared trails" I hear only way you know a deer is there is if it's in a cleared trail

Make sure the deer is positioned where you can make an ethical shook, I should have put that out, I stand corrected.t.

Make sure the deer is positioned where you aren't going to spoil some (or a lot) of the meat by making a shot. (Had to help dress a deer last year that was shot straight on. Bullet shredded the important stuff and continued on through the gut sack and out the rear end. No thanks...) if he wants meat, a kill shot is a good shot, honestly, don't lose much meat even if you blow open the stomach, almost nothing (besides tenderloin) on the ribcage anyway

There is a LOT more to hunting than "See a deer, shoot." That is pretty crappy advice IMO.

there we go, all better now.
honestly now, boil it down to the most basic of answers to the question.
doe tag = make sure it's a doe and shoot it
buck tag = make sure it's a buck and shoot it
both = make sure it's a deer and shoot it.

rant on
oh, and make sure there's not too much of a crosswind, ensure there's no blades of grass between you and the target, better get a laser rangefinder, because you could mis-guesstimate the range, might be 19 yards instead of 18. make sure you shoot it through the lungs, don't put a slug through the shoulder, or maybe it's shoot it through the shoulder, so it goes down faster (12 ga NOT 9mm), or maybe you should just make sure you shoot it in the eye. oh, and don't forget to make sure that it's not a defective deer, you might not want to shoot it.
rant off
back to the OP's thread now.

badriverbarber
11-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Not sure about the 9mm. I think its 357mag.or larger.
Better look that one up..

nitron1ck
11-15-2009, 03:20 PM
35 cal or larger for hand guns.

A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger
and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multipleshot
but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and
magazine combined.

xd-40
11-15-2009, 07:10 PM
35 cal or larger for hand guns.

A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger
and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multipleshot
but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and
magazine combined.

and 9mm is .356 diameter. just make sure it's a headshot if you're gonna try the 9mm, I wouldn't trust it to do the job right in the boilerroom

Leader
11-16-2009, 11:31 AM
and 9mm is .356 diameter. just make sure it's a headshot if you're gonna try the 9mm, I wouldn't trust it to do the job right in the boilerroom

If a 9mm will kill a man at 20 yds, it will kill a deer.
Put holes in both lungs or the heart & it's going down.

People with good jobs & lots of money can be fussy, to the unemployed, meat is meat.

xd-40
11-16-2009, 04:08 PM
If a 9mm will kill a man at 20 yds, it will kill a deer.
Put holes in both lungs or the heart & it's going down.

People with good jobs & lots of money can be fussy, to the unemployed, meat is meat.

for the record, I've barely got a job, I'm way behind on bills, and am busy selling the LAST of the extensive collection that I had until last winter.

I didn't say anything negative about the OP, or his choices, I recommended a headshot.

yeah, a 9mm will kill it, but how far will it go? will he be able to track it down?

I've seen deer run over 50 yards with no lungs, no left front shoulder joint, and no right front legbone, how far's he gonna hafta track it, and how long's it goin to suffer if he smacks it in the lungs?

I stand by my recommendation, 9mm, shoot it in the head. (I should probably clarify that too, through the eye socket, or at the base of the spine, thereby avoiding possible bullet deflection off the skull)

langenc
11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Enough others have already said it-but leave the 9 at home.

Doe license for private prop-$15, if still available, ie not sold out. Only an allottment is allowed after that-tough luck.

_DK_
11-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Talked to my step brother whos property I'll be on, I'll be using a shotgun or his new muzzle loader.

I'll be taking my 9mm, but do not intend on taking any game with it.

dougwg
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Talked to my step brother whos property I'll be on, I'll be using a shotgun or his new muzzle loader.

I'll be taking my 9mm, but do not intend on taking any game with it.

It would be cool if you got a deer with your 9mm though :)

Good LUCK!

_DK_
11-17-2009, 01:40 PM
It would be cool if you got a deer with your 9mm though :)

Good LUCK!

I can carry my 9mm for personal protection(in the woods) though with 16rd mags correct? or do I need to alter one so it only carries 8?

xd-40
11-17-2009, 02:10 PM
I can carry my 9mm for personal protection(in the woods) though with 16rd mags correct? or do I need to alter one so it only carries 8?

I KNOW that if you have a CPL, you can carry your 9 for pp in the woods, just not take game with it unless plugged mag.

I THINK, that OC is legal in that situation, but am unsure.

I am not a lawyer, read the laws yourself, and/or talk to an attorney

dougwg
11-17-2009, 02:35 PM
According to the law, I would think if you try to take game with it, yes, you would have to plug the mag. I wouldn't carry another mag either, just the one plugged.

Leader
11-17-2009, 02:43 PM

Yes, that wouild be legal. No you do not have to alter the mag.

ro2
11-17-2009, 06:28 PM
leave the guns at home. one word claymore. (or is that 2 words) :naughty: good luck, have fun and most important be safe.

M&P .40
11-17-2009, 10:32 PM
leave the guns at home. one word claymore. (or is that 2 words) :naughty: good luck, have fun and most important be safe.

Naw! A claymore would put too many holes in it. I say go with napalm, that way it is already cooked when you find it.

mechredd
11-17-2009, 10:37 PM
I just got back from the thumb and didn't get anything, so I'm heading back up on the 21st.

I hunt on a relative's farm just outside of Kinde. Ware are you headed?

_DK_
11-17-2009, 11:45 PM
m25/pochert area, port hope

mechredd
11-18-2009, 12:05 AM
That's a good area, and its about 10-15 minutes east of me.

Good luck!

papabear
11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
To M&P40 maybe he meant this type of Claymore
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claymore

The term claymore (pronounced /ˈkleɪmɔər/, from Scottish Gaelic claidheamh mòr, "big sword"[1]) may refer to one of two distinct types of Scottish swords. It may refer to a two-handed sword with a cross hilt, of which the guards were usually turned down, used by the Highlanders of Scotland, or to a basket-hilted broadsword adopted in the 16th Century.
I guess for the more manly man

_DK_
11-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Hmm all that was available was a regular resident permit, no private property doe permits left...

Maybe I should try another store? the kid behind the counter was a complete goof for lack of a nicer term. He has a "class 3 CCW" so he can hunt deer with an automatic weapon, so he never comes home empty handed, AND he got an 8 point buck last weekend with his car and made deer jerky out of the whole thing....

billywebb71
11-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Do you mean that there were regular doe permits available but no private land permits? If that is the case, you should be able to use a regular doe permit on private land. You just can't do the opposite.

mechredd
11-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Hmm all that was available was a regular resident permit, no private property doe permits left...

Maybe I should try another store? the kid behind the counter was a complete goof for lack of a nicer term. He has a "class 3 CCW" so he can hunt deer with an automatic weapon, so he never comes home empty handed, AND he got an 8 point buck last weekend with his car and made deer jerky out of the whole thing....

That's hard to believe. Just a few years ago Huron county had unlimited doe permits for private land.

Are you sure that they entered everything correctly? The county code you need is 2032. Sometimes the dinks at the counter can't figure that out. That actually happened to me this year, I was told that Huron county was out, but it turns out that the clerk at the counter was entering the wrong code.

Leader
11-20-2009, 05:40 AM
Do you mean that there were regular doe permits available but no private land permits? If that is the case, you should be able to use a regular doe permit on private land. You just can't do the opposite.

There is no such thing as a "regular doe permit" .
There is one for private land , to be used on PRIVATE land only. amd one for PUBLIC land, to be used on PUBLIC land only.
That being said, I just bought my private land permit for DMU 486 late Wed nightand they had permits left. Check at another dealer.

_DK_
11-20-2009, 06:17 AM
I'll just get one when I'm up there. I just got my basic resident permit.

xd-40
11-20-2009, 02:56 PM
There is no such thing as a "regular doe permit" .
There is one for private land , to be used on PRIVATE land only. amd one for PUBLIC land, to be used on PUBLIC land only.
That being said, I just bought my private land permit for DMU 486 late Wed nightand they had permits left. Check at another dealer.

please cite this "There is one for private land , to be used on PRIVATE land only. amd one for PUBLIC land, to be used on PUBLIC land only."

my understanding is that PRIVATE tags are only applicable on PRIVATE, and PUBLIC are ok anywhere in the DMU.

DNR regs handbook only addresses this in one place that I can see, talking about hunters 12-13 years of age must use a bow if on public land, but with a PRIVATE land permit may use firearm on PRIVATE land.

jcurtis
11-20-2009, 03:05 PM
please cite this "There is one for private land , to be used on PRIVATE land only. amd one for PUBLIC land, to be used on PUBLIC land only."

my understanding is that PRIVATE tags are only applicable on PRIVATE, and PUBLIC are ok anywhere in the DMU.

DNR regs handbook only addresses this in one place that I can see, talking about hunters 12-13 years of age must use a bow if on public land, but with a PRIVATE land permit may use firearm on PRIVATE land.

From: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_38954_38957-171755--,00.html

* A public land antlerless deer hunting license is valid for taking antlerless deer from public lands (including state, federal and county lands) open to hunting within the deer management unit specified on the license or upon lands within the DMU that are enrolled as Commercial Forest Lands.

* A private land antlerless deer hunting license is valid only for taking antlerless deer only from any privately owned lands within the deer management unit specified on the license with permission of the landowner. To purchase a private land antlerless license, the phone number of the landowner is required. A private land license is not valid on public or Commercial Forest lands.

xd-40
11-22-2009, 11:07 PM
From: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_38954_38957-171755--,00.html

* A public land antlerless deer hunting license is valid for taking antlerless deer from public lands (including state, federal and county lands) open to hunting within the deer management unit specified on the license or upon lands within the DMU that are enrolled as Commercial Forest Lands.

* A private land antlerless deer hunting license is valid only for taking antlerless deer only from any privately owned lands within the deer management unit specified on the license with permission of the landowner. To purchase a private land antlerless license, the phone number of the landowner is required. A private land license is not valid on public or Commercial Forest lands.

thanks, seems some of y'all are better at this websearching thing than I am.

I would argue, however,(I AM NOT A LAWYER), that as the DNR specifically excludes public land hunting on a private land permit, but does NOT do so under a public permit, that private would be included in public. but I"M NOT A LAWYER. what y'all think of that interpretation? valid?

jcurtis
11-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I would argue, however,(I AM NOT A LAWYER), that as the DNR specifically excludes public land hunting on a private land permit, but does NOT do so under a public permit, that private would be included in public. but I"M NOT A LAWYER. what y'all think of that interpretation? valid?

No, I think its pretty clear. Public land licenses are for public land, private land for private. If you think it needs further clarification I suggest you call or email the DNR directly.

_DK_
11-23-2009, 09:01 AM
My brother took care of me, I'll all good. Got myself a doe the 2nd time we went out on saturday(after lunch). Dumb ass me forgets to pack a camera. My brother took a pic after gutting it, but no internet up there so I'll have to wait a few weeks to get it.
My brother and I skinned and quartered it in the field as I was going to just try to cut it up myself at home. But an old friend from Highschool, saw my pics I put on facebook and offered to come over last night and helped me butcher it, So she's all in the freezer now... Took him like an hour or less to make it almost boneless.

as far as permits go, it had 2032/486 and my brothers phone number on it...

xd-40
11-23-2009, 11:53 PM
No, I think its pretty clear. Public land licenses are for public land, private land for private. If you think it needs further clarification I suggest you call or email the DNR directly.

ask the cops for advice on the law?
I may be wrong.
I'm probably wrong.
I may be right.
the last person I'll ask is a cop.

xd-40
11-23-2009, 11:53 PM
My brother took care of me, I'll all good. Got myself a doe the 2nd time we went out on saturday(after lunch). Dumb ass me forgets to pack a camera. My brother took a pic after gutting it, but no internet up there so I'll have to wait a few weeks to get it.
My brother and I skinned and quartered it in the field as I was going to just try to cut it up myself at home. But an old friend from Highschool, saw my pics I put on facebook and offered to come over last night and helped me butcher it, So she's all in the freezer now... Took him like an hour or less to make it almost boneless.

as far as permits go, it had 2032/486 and my brothers phone number on it...

congrats. wish I could find one to shoot :sniper:

LOTR_Bill
11-24-2009, 06:39 PM
congrats. wish I could find one to shoot :sniper:

I tracked a doe for over a mile Saturday. They're out of antlerless licenses so I didn't take the shot when I learned it was a doe. Was frustrated.

_DK_
11-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I got so damn lucky...

I had 3 things against me...

Never been hunting.
Never fired a shotgun(slug), Shot gun was for a lefty, so the safety was backwards.
No hunting clothes, so I'm out there in bluejeans and a read flannel hoodie

Damn deer keep looking at me, but coming closer(there was an apple tree about 50yds in front). I stick the barrel out the blinds window resting on the sill, trying to line up the sights. the blind was built for the vertically challenged folks... Those Under 6'... so I had to squat some, which is not an fun task with a pinched nerve and a herniated L4-L5 disc(I almost didnt go). 1st I push the safety and its already set to go, at least so I thought... I forgot it was for a lefty so it didnt fire, then I turn the safety off line back up on the front shoulder like my brother explained to me, being a noob...

I shoot, the deer drops right there, didn't move an inch... I chamber another round, set the safety and head out towards the deer. I text my brother and said I got one! He replies drag it back to the blind and get another. Nothing shows up. After half an hour I drag the deer to the main trail and head back to the camper. later we came back and scooped it up with the front loader and carried it closer to camp, by then it was dark and my brother gutted it for me, I tried watching but was too dark. We strung it up on the pole.

Went out the following morning I went to the same blind, I'm just chillin and reading. its foggy as hell out. I hear crunch crunch, look out all the windows and nothing... I slowly open the door and not 10yds away is another Doe, Nothing I could do, I just had my reg tag left so I waited and hoped a buck was following, but nope... my brothers got a rule though, No button, no spikes. gotta be 6 real points or better before you shoot a buck.

It was getting warm out so we all went in for breakfast, after we ate my brother and I skinned and quartered the deer. My shot grazed the back, in and out under the skin then went in mid-neck right through.

All in all it was an interesting trip. I'll probably go up again this weekend.

Heres the view from the blind I was in...

Gun was an Ithica DeerSlayer II, 12 gauge, not sure on the slug... it was copper with a blue plastic tip, with fiber sights. no scope or nothin fancy

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs001.snc3/10842_1274616910991_1397003819_30805300_2930729_n. jpg

guess I had a pic on my phone
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs021.snc3/10842_1274983160147_1397003819_30807175_2730271_n. jpg