PDA

View Full Version : AAR: ACTS November 14 Match

Joeywhat
11-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Had a great time today...saw a lot of familiar faces and met a few new ones. I think everybody had fun. Stages were pretty straight forward and not a ton of people today so it didn't run too long. Came away from this with a few lessons learned and a better idea of what I'd like to do in terms of firearms training in the future.

Stage 1
First stage on the 100 yard range. Started up near the benches on the left of the range and had to move to the right, engaging targets along the way. Shooter started in 'hostage' position, kneeling on ground hands on hand, with rifle on the deck within arms reach and magazine not inserted in rifle. First mag was downloaded to 6 rounds. Three targets to immediately engage after loading, then time to get up and start moving. You can either reload the rifle (with a full mag) at the this point or switch to pistol and move on. A small barrier separates the earlier targets from a few more, with some hostages mixed in. Shoot on the move or from behind cover! After moving to the far right of the range you have to get 6 hits on various steel targets about 75 or so yards away. This was done from behind a VTAC barrier, which has a slew of different 'ports' cut into the plywood that you have to shoot from. Each one is a little different and requires different skills to shoot through. 2 hits from any 3 ports and the round was done.

Biggest thing I learned here was that I am a FATASS. Definitely need to hit the gym. I also found that sighting in a rifle with a 50 yard zero at 25 yards isn't too hard to do...I had worries that sighting it at only 25 yards would cause some issues at distances...but it was dead nuts.

Stage 2
This was a 'snake drill' of sorts. Targets were to either side of the range and several barrels lined the middle, spaced a few feet apart. Shooter started at the beginning of the barrels and 'snaked' through them engaging targets as they came by. Two steel (pistol only) targets and a last cardboard target were at the end. The shooter started with an unloaded rifle and two magazines placed on the first barrel. One with six rounds, one with four rounds. More targets then rifle ammo, so at some point the transition to pistol must take place to finish the stage. Reloading quickly, efficiently and from behind cover was the key here, or just pulling out the blaster once the first mag ran dry.

Here I found that while I would've prefered to just fire through a single rifle mag and switch to pistol right away, I didn't. I'm still not 100% on my pistol skills and ended up relying on my rifle to make hits.

Stage 3
Zombie stage! Pretty straight forward here...shooter starts with rifle with 10 rounds in the mag and NO extra mags. Opens a door and finds two targets in the immediate area, and the rest of the horde not far behind. Head shots only! Again more targets then rifle ammo so the blaster came out eventually to finish up. Not much space to move in this one and a LOT of targets so you had to take cover or shoot fast.

What I learned here is that if you're not sure if you hit the target...shoot the mofo again. I THOUGHT I had made good hits on all the targets, but had forgotten one. I thought it had hits but wasn't sure. The extra second to hit it again would've been much better then the failure to neutralize I got...plus now the zombie horde continues as I became infected :rolleyes:

Stage 4
Blind stage. Shooter goes in with full gear (no downloaded mags) and no knowledge of the course of fire. Overall a pretty simple course...round a couple of corners and open up any targets that get in the way. The catch is that once you clear it with your rifle, you go back and do it again with your pistol...weak hand only. The only thing I didn't like about this stage was that you stopped and just went back to the beginning after clearing with the rifle. I would've rather had something where you don't stop and have to transition to the pistol and fight back to the beginning or something similar.

One of my biggest issues came out in this stage. First I found that while shooting weak hand only my left eye likes to take over. This caused a few misses...and once I realized what was happening I started to 'think' too much and started dropping shots low left :rolleyes: So practice is needed either keeping everything sighted with the right eye, or maybe closing an eye while shooting weak hand. For most of the match I didn't really 'think' about anything, just went the stages doing what was instructed. Here once I had the brain fart things went downhill fast...so I need to work on my mental game and keep things running smooth.

So overall it was a great match. I felt I did OK...certainly better then the Sept match...where we all had to endure the FAIL that was Steve's blind room clearing stage :rolleyes: I was REAL nervous going into the blind stage today thinking people would want to one-up Steve and make something even more humiliating.

Thanks to everyone who helped setup and take down the match, and the match director/RO's.

hopeitsfast
11-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Sounds like a pretty difficult day of shooting(at least to me), however it also sounds fun as hell. How did the franken glock perform?

Joeywhat
11-14-2009, 05:16 PM
It did well. No failures...although not a lot of pistol action, either. It was a low round count day for both...

JDG
11-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Almost showed up today!! Had a yard full of leaves, I had to pick up. Maybe next month.

TFin04
11-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Was a fun day. Pics will be delayed a few days I'm up north chasing bambi.

One thing Joey missed is the blind stage was set up that the 'proper' way to shoot it was to transition the rifle to your left side in order to use cover properly. Some people do this, some don't. I like setting up left side shooting stuff because it's something a lot of people don't practice. Your sling should allow an easy transition back and forth and you should be used to shooting on both sides.

As Super Dave says..."There is no weak side."

Will-IB-Ready
11-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Where was this held? Will it be in the same place next month? Date/time/requirements?

TFin04
11-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Where was this held? Will it be in the same place next month? Date/time/requirements?

Just north east of Battle Creek. Held the second Saturday of every month, year round.

All the info can be found at www.actshooters.com

Will-IB-Ready
11-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Thank you sir.

Joeywhat
11-14-2009, 09:00 PM

One thing Joey missed is the blind stage was set up that the 'proper' way to shoot it was to transition the rifle to your left side in order to use cover properly. Some people do this, some don't. I like setting up left side shooting stuff because it's something a lot of people don't practice. Your sling should allow an easy transition back and forth and you should be used to shooting on both sides.

Good call...didn't do this with my rifle but did with my handgun as it was already in the 'proper' position...

Learn something new every day ;)

bsf
11-14-2009, 09:00 PM

This is also one of those issues that makes evident who is practicing and who is not. I have not. I realized I needed to transition my carbine, but I had to stop and think “which method am I going to use”, and then when I chose to swap hands “which hand moves first and where is it supposed to go”. It was very slow. I am always impressed when I see people doing stuff correctly and quickly. Those skills were not honed sitting in front of a computer. More Highsmith rifle drills for me.

TFin04
11-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Those skills were not honed sitting in front of a computer.
;)

I watched you on that stage, you did it right, even if it took a second to think.

Highsmith is good stuff. Get it done. :thup:

TFin04
11-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Enough with all this practical 'what I learned' stuff, there hasn't been nearly enough smack talk recently....

Word on the street is Wonderboy just went up four to three on Supertrainer for 2009......best you can do is tie now....sucka! :sleeping:

bsf
11-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I hear the tie-breaker, if necesarry, will be an arm wrestling match.

Joeywhat
11-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I heard it's a thumb war...

TFin04
11-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Damn, I'm f'd either way.....:(

Joeywhat
11-14-2009, 10:41 PM
His thumb is like the size of your forearm.....

Another lesson I learned today...always check your optic to make sure it's on and the dot is visible.

Shot all of stage 2 with no dot as it was set REAL low and the sun washed it out. Luckily it was pretty close range stuff so I didn't really need it...

HDRadar
11-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I think I will want to come check this out next month. Where can I find drills to work on in the mean time. I have been shooting all my life but never with drill. Maybe 2 taps! I am looking to get into more tactical shooting 3 gun looks interesting to me also. Please let me know.

HDRadar
11-15-2009, 11:05 AM
I just found viking tactics!

G-lock
11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Joeywhat-
Thanks for the review. This was the first match I have ever run as Match Director. I'm glad you found the stages challenging. I was surprised at how difficult it is to make clearly understood stage descriptions, I'll do better next time. Overall it was a great match and a day of perfect weather.

For the other posters who are thinking about coming out to the next match, do it, ACTS is a ball and it really is the only outdoor shooting game in the winter months.

Regards, Jeff

Barbara
11-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Some of those guys shoot like old women. :)

RSF
11-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Dude, I guess ill have to try now.

even though I did the room more correct than you......oh and im one buck all ready to yours

TFin04
11-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Dude, I guess ill have to try now.

even though I did the room more correct than you......oh and im one buck all ready to yours

You use that same excuse every time. :)

Nice buck BTW.

TFin04
11-16-2009, 06:49 PM
I feel so dirty...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2455/4108959647_f14d44a0f3.jpg

It shot well though. :)

TFin04
11-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Scores are up. (http://www.actshooters.com/results_mi/2009/nov09.html)

Our own Joeywhat did pretty well, 5th overall. Good shooting dude.

laserguy
11-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Wish I could have made it but I had to get out in the woods, Thanks for the review thou Gentlemen.