PDA

View Full Version : firearms for deer

Kimberguy1371
11-17-2009, 04:35 AM
ok, i'm hunting in Jackson County, I know I can use my shot gun....
can I use my 357 mag?
can i use a pistol at all?
if so, what is the criteria of the pistol?
can the pistol use a rifle round?
I do have an AK with a 5 round magazine, it is a pistol and registered as such, can i use that?
can you please direct me to some links.

thank you

I am still kind of new to hunting, I took my first shot at a dear sunday and missed horabley, i sighted my shotgun in very wrong. I'm still kinda pissed, if I am able to use an AK or an AR, i know I can hit the thing with that.... i'm just not so good with the shotgun.

any help would be great.

oh, and if it helps at all I am on my own property.

jcurtis
11-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Pistols in the shotgun zone must follow these regulations:

"A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined."

tenthumbs
11-17-2009, 10:15 AM
jcurtis nailed it. The AK even as a Pistol does not meet the Criteria.

This is a Link to the Hunting and Trapping Guide.

All of Your Question can be Answered Here.

http://www.statehuntandfishregs.com/MI/

wally1120
11-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Stick with your Kimber, I am hunting with mine. I do have a 12 gauge with me as well. If you have a Pistol that is straight walled that holds 9 in the Magazine,BBL combined then it is legal to hunt with. Also have you got your Shotgun sighted in yet? If not then bring it out to JCOC at around 1:00 and I can help you with it. I will be out there at about 12:45, And may have my Kimber popping a few, Just because I want to make sure it is still tight at 50 yards.

mikethepike
11-21-2009, 10:18 PM
If you use a pistol, it must be in plain view...unless you have a cpl

Rouxballs
11-23-2009, 05:14 PM
You can use a handgun for deer hunting as long as it is in plain view. As far as having a ccw I am not sure about that.