PDA

View Full Version : hunter orange

billywebb71
11-25-2009, 07:34 PM
During firearms deer season, how much hunter orange do you wear? At a minimum, depending on the weather, I wear a hunter orange vest. In colder weather, a full hunter orange coat. Does the DNR specify how much is required?

nate132004
11-25-2009, 07:57 PM
I just wear a vest also.

Yah i think the DNR has a requirment but cant think off top of my head. I think they say a % of ur body has to be orange

Made_in_Michigan
11-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Vest & Hat here, While in stand or sitting I hang the hat on the tree above me and keep the vest on. (I hang it on the opposite side of the tree I'm sitting against)

Made_in_Michigan
11-25-2009, 08:19 PM
From the DNR:

Hunter Orange Clothing Requirements

You may not hunt with any device, or trap with any firearm, on any lands during daylight hunting hours from Aug. 15-April 30 unless you wear a hat, cap, vest, jacket or rain gear of highly visible orange color, commonly referred to as Hunter Orange. When hunting in any season with a license that authorizes the use of a firearm, you must wear Hunter Orange except as noted below. During the November firearm deer season, this law applies to all deer hunters. The garment, featuring Hunter Orange, must be the outermost garment and must be visible from all sides. Camouflage orange garments, with 50 percent or more of the surface in Hunter Orange, are legal.

Exception: This law does not apply to persons hunting waterfowl, crow, wild turkey, or to persons engaged in the sport of falconry. It does not apply to archery or crossbow bear hunters or to persons who are stationary and in the act of hunting bobcat, coyote or fox. Archery and crossbow deer hunters also are not required to wear Hunter Orange except during the early antlerless, youth firearm, and the November firearm deer seasons.

billywebb71
11-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I just looked that up myself. I would think that common sense dictate a healthy percentage of the body be covered with hunter orange. Personally, I prefer that other hunter see me when shooting in my general direction. I figure the less orange you have on, the more easily another hunter may not see you when shooting. It just amazes me at the number of people who go into the woods with only an orange hat on.

sullyxlh
11-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Hat cap
Why not jacket or coat..........

Don't be surprised if we see chartreuse here soon
A few other states have already gone that route.

Sargeyork
11-26-2009, 09:59 AM
A hat works fine and being where it is can easily be seen if anything can be seen by another hunter.
:creature:

Garbo
11-26-2009, 10:30 AM
You have to have one article that is 50% or more orange. It has to be visable from any angle. The DNR does not consider pants alone acceptable as they are most likely hidden when seated. A hat alone yes, vest or jacket yes.

Hockey9019
11-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Archery and crossbow deer hunters also are not required to wear Hunter Orange except during the early antlerless, youth firearm, and the November firearm deer seasons.
Woops misread

fr3db3ar
11-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Also....not mentioned here...if you're hunting coyote...you have to wear orange to get to your setup....but after you are set up you can remove the orange. dogs see in a different spectrum than cloven animals.

Leader
11-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I just looked that up myself. I would think that common sense dictate a healthy percentage of the body be covered with hunter orange. Personally, I prefer that other hunter see me when shooting in my general direction. I figure the less orange you have on, the more easily another hunter may not see you when shooting. It just amazes me at the number of people who go into the woods with only an orange hat on.

Do you shoot the people you see in the woods with just a hat on?
Do you know anybody else that does?
Do you know anybody that has been shot wearing only a hat?
Why don't archers get shot while wearing NO orange at all?
Myself, I trust that hunters try to identify their targets before they shoot & I don't worry about it.
I wear a hat because the law says I have to & I still feel safe.
So far, I haven't been shot.

MarkoPo
11-28-2009, 02:31 PM
I wear a hat and a balaclava. Hunters on neighboring properties always wave at me. Never been shot at yet. :)

Done Deal
11-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Also....not mentioned here...if you're hunting coyote...you have to wear orange to get to your setup....but after you are set up you can remove the orange. dogs see in a different spectrum than cloven animals.

Are you talking just callers? Houndsmen still have to wear orange the last I knew....

For private land deer hunting, I pretty much wear a hat only. If I was doing a drive or going on state land....the amount of orange would increase.

garyjt
11-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Why do "we" have to wear orange?......................only "us"?

How come you dont have to wear orange if you do not have a hunting license?
How come the mushroom and berry pickers, the hikers and campers, joggers, bikers, people out for a walk or a run, peta people, and everyone else out there in the woods can wear a buckskin coat and a Davy Crockett fur hat?

billywebb71
11-29-2009, 09:55 AM
I have seen signs posted advising people to wear hunter orange for their own safety. Most of them don't.

Leader
11-29-2009, 10:40 AM
I have seen signs posted advising people to wear hunter orange for their own safety. Most of them don't.

And how many of these are getting shot each year?

Done Deal
11-29-2009, 02:40 PM
And how many of these are getting shot each year?

Well, I can tell ya that more than a few hunters along a Fred Meijer Rail Trail would like to shoot some of the inconsiderate users of that trail. If they had any sense at all, they would at least wear orange so they can be seen a little better. On second thought....when they are screwing up the hunting of adjacent property owners, maybe there is a reason whey they don't wear orange....

A couple of years ago....a few miles from my house....a guy shot his dad.

He never new he was where he was and while he couldn't seem him through the brush....it didn't bring his dad back to life because it was an accident.

At least orange makes it easier to recognize other hunters in the woods.

mechredd
11-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Why not jacket or coat..........

Don't be surprised if we see chartreuse here soon
A few other states have already gone that route.
Michigan had that once a long time ago, then switched to blaze, as it is easier to see.

I wear a cap and vest in Seclusion Blaze over a Mossy Oak suit. I hunt in a section of woods that has allot of downed trees and this outfit works very well for me. It blends nicely, yet other hunters can still see me.

Anyone that says that deer can't see blaze orange has no clue what they're talking about. Deer are colorblind except for blue and violet. If you want to get an idea of what deer see, take a picture of yourself in your suit in the woods. Photoshop it to remove all color except those at the blue end of the spectrum. Blaze looks like its glowing lite gray and stands out allot.

ro2
11-29-2009, 06:11 PM
hat for me, sometimes a hat and vest depending on situation. I have had most of my problems with small game hunters while I was bow hunting

garyjt
11-29-2009, 07:06 PM
hat for me, sometimes a hat and vest depending on situation. I have had most of my problems with small game hunters while I was bow hunting

That is why the law does not make much sense. Besides the hikers and yuppies prancing thru the woods in brown, bow hunters also wear brown/green but green does not protect them from small game hunters with loose trigger fingers.

Done Deal
11-29-2009, 07:45 PM
That is why the law does not make much sense. Besides the hikers and yuppies prancing thru the woods in brown, bow hunters also wear brown/green but green does not protect them from small game hunters with loose trigger fingers.

And that is precisely why a CPL comes in handy...

Leader
11-29-2009, 08:01 PM
And that is precisely why a CPL comes in handy...

Now you're suggesting we shoot hikers and others in the woods???????
And you say open carriers are creating a bad image???

ro2
11-29-2009, 08:13 PM
I believe it comes down to more of a neglagance issue " know youre target and what is beyond it". dont get me wrong I also small game hunt and enjoy doing so. but I draw the line at shot pellets raining down on me, and on 1 occasion 22 cal rounds hitting the tree 20 feet from me and then tell me they didnt see me up there. ARGH!!!

ro2
11-29-2009, 08:16 PM
and no I dont condone shooting back, unless its self defense

Done Deal
11-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Now you're suggesting we shoot hikers and others in the woods???????
And you say open carriers are creating a bad image???

Oh my, where did you come up with that interpretatioin?

And how in the hell did open carry find its way into this topic?

I swear.....

_DK_
11-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Oh my, where did you come up with that interpretatioin?

And how in the hell did open carry find its way into this topic?

I swear.....

that's how I interpreted it as well... the part you bolded in garyjt's post. That a CPL gives you the right to shoot back

SMUDGE
11-30-2009, 12:51 PM
My uncle just got a $400 ticket because someone just called on him for not wearing enough orange. He had a hat on and got cold so he put his hood on while he was in his blind. He was hunting on the edge of his brother in laws and a neighbors land so the guy saw him and got pissed no tresspassing involved. Bottom line obviously they saw him.

Garbo
11-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I have taken aim at a squirrell jumping tree to tree and almost swept a bow hunter in the past. That can easily happen. And he was so well camo'd that I seen the ladder of his stand before i seen him but it was enough for me to stop for a better look see. I've had one small game hunter happen across me in the woods. As he approached I used my buck call in amanner to get attention and yet was obviously not a pattern recognized as a true buck. The hunter (s) seen me, I gave them a quick salute so they would wave back to ensure they seen me which they did and they changed their rout and respected my area.

Yeah them rails to trails things can be dangerous. I know the ones DD is talking about and man I wouldnt walk through there during firearm let alone not wearing orange.

Garbo
11-30-2009, 12:58 PM
My uncle just got a $400 ticket because someone just called on him for not wearing enough orange. He had a hat on and got cold so he put his hood on while he was in his blind. He was hunting on the edge of his brother in laws and a neighbors land so the guy saw him and got pissed no tresspassing involved. Bottom line obviously they saw him.

Well the law is has to be seen from all sides. But go figure if he was in the blind with a vest on none of which would be visable while he was in the blind but yet he would have been legal.

Hawgrider
11-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Orange cap and the rest woodland camo. Sometimes cap and coat in camo orange. Depends on where Im hunting and how many yahoos are out there.

Personally I liked the old red plaid wool suits from the ol days we never got shot while wearing those hunting suits. And we didn't glow like the great Pumpkin either!
Orange hurts my eyes its over kill! Another case of Govenrment do gooders worrying bout there worrying trying to save everyone on this over crowded planet!

burle1812
11-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't know man, with the recent posts about people confusing horses with deer, poachers etc, if i go out in the woods between Septmber 1 and January 1 i wear at min a orange vest. There are tons of people out there who either are trigger happy, or don't care about fellow hunters. I wear the vest in bow season too because I hunt from a ground blind. I even try and fly a orange flag on my blind (helps my nephew judge wind from his stand). I learned a long time ago that the only person that cares about your saftey is you! so you have to be proactive about it. (cue the GI Joe theme song)

Hawgrider
11-30-2009, 01:55 PM
I don't know man, with the recent posts about people confusing horses with deer, poachers etc, if i go out in the woods between Septmber 1 and January 1 i wear at min a orange vest. There are tons of people out there who either are trigger happy, or don't care about fellow hunters. I wear the vest in bow season too because I hunt from a ground blind. I even try and fly a orange flag on my blind (helps my nephew judge wind from his stand). I learned a long time ago that the only person that cares about your saftey is you! so you have to be proactive about it. (cue the GI Joe theme song)Yeah it is sad that there are still slobs out there that will shoot at anything that moves.
You would think that would be a thing of the past with hunters ed classes required and all them there educated people out here now with all there fancy college educating and what not!:)

Venator12
11-30-2009, 03:03 PM
You have to have one article that is 50% or more orange. It has to be visable from any angle. The DNR does not consider pants alone acceptable as they are most likely hidden when seated. A hat alone yes, vest or jacket yes.
Please cite where this is true.

I sit in a pop-up blind. You can't see me at all, but I wear a orange hat to comply with the law. The hat would serve better if I placed it on the top of my pop-up blind.

ro2
11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
yes it would serve better on the top of the blind. Garbo is right pants do no serve as adequate orange. 50% or more of the garment must be orange, and with pop up blinds I think that is a it tricky doesnt the law say the orang must be visible from all sides and in a blind it is not. So isnt that a violation of the orange law

Garbo
11-30-2009, 04:09 PM
The DNR defines the orange requirement as an article of clothing. So the pop up blind does not count. I hear that they are making noise about requiring some kind of orange on blinds now too if occupied. I think someon on here posted the proposal.

Garbo
11-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Here ya go

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_39267-32270--,00.html

Hunter Orange Clothing Requirements

You may not hunt with any device, or trap with any firearm, on any lands during daylight hunting hours from Aug. 15-April 30 unless you wear a hat, cap, vest, jacket or rain gear of highly visible orange color, commonly referred to as Hunter Orange. When hunting in any season with a license that authorizes the use of a firearm, you must wear Hunter Orange except as noted below. During the November firearm deer season, this law applies to all deer hunters. The garment, featuring Hunter Orange, must be the outermost garment and must be visible from all sides. Camouflage orange garments, with 50 percent or more of the surface in Hunter Orange, are legal.

Exception: This law does not apply to persons hunting waterfowl, crow, wild turkey, or to persons engaged in the sport of falconry. It does not apply to archery or crossbow bear hunters or to persons who are stationary and in the act of hunting bobcat, coyote or fox. Archery and crossbow deer hunters also are not required to wear Hunter Orange except during the early antlerless, youth firearm, and the November firearm deer seasons.

mechredd
11-30-2009, 04:13 PM
The DNR defines the orange requirement as an article of clothing. So the pop up blind does not count. I hear that they are making noise about requiring some kind of orange on blinds now too if occupied. I think someon on here posted the proposal.

I read that about the blinds also. I have a pop-up that I use when the weather tuns to crap. Sadly I found that the roof leaks from the seam so my plan was a failure. However I did find an orange top for my blind and started using it as a sort or rain-fly, and it works nicely.

Garbo
11-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I guess you could argue that if you had raingear on with the pants being hunter orange would be legal by the way this is written but have fun trying to get that to fly in the field with a CO.

The concern with pants is that if seated you may not see them at all.

Garbo
11-30-2009, 04:17 PM
I read that about the blinds also. I have a pop-up that I use when the weather tuns to crap. Sadly I found that the roof leaks from the seam so my plan was a failure. However I did find an orange top for my blind and started using it as a sort or rain-fly, and it works nicely.

All you really need is an orange piece of cloth or something to toss on the very top. I know on state land I see hunters marking their paths with these and I see them from a long ways away.

ro2
11-30-2009, 04:52 PM
I believe it was something like 1 sq ft of orange visible from all sides on pop up blinds.

ro2
11-30-2009, 04:53 PM
I think its a greAT idea, it would also let people know youre there so they dont walk up on you unknowingly

Leader
11-30-2009, 06:11 PM
I think its a greAT idea, it would also let people know youre there so they dont walk up on you unknowingly

And I think you should be able to put as much as you want on YOUR blind.
Just don't make a LAW saying I have to.

fr3db3ar
11-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Anyone that says that deer can't see blaze orange has no clue what they're talking about.

I can tell you this. I wear a full suit (bibs and jacket) Mossy Oak Blaze Camo. On opening afternoon I was seated in my outdoor chair. I had a doe followed by several other deer walk within 15 yards of me and stop and look right through me. She looked around and continued on her way until she got downwind of me and bolted while not looking at me.

You can draw your own conclusions from that.

I for one am in favor of blaze orange as it's meant to protect you from guys who shoot at anything that moves.....and I like the fact that they can see me from 500 yards away in open areas and hopefully don't shoot in my direction.

Done Deal
11-30-2009, 07:25 PM

Maybe they figured you were totally harmless...:winker:

While I believe that blaze orange and UV brightness are not found in the woods.....I also believe that private land hunters should not be further governed by the DNR. If they want orange guns on state land...whatever but....

Venator12
11-30-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm still not seeing any laws cited just opinions. I have heard that you need 100 square inches, so a 10"x10" area is all that's needed.

I still don't see where orange pants are not enough orange. After all many hunters stand up and don't sit down. And even if they did sit down the legs would still meet the requirements.

Venator12
11-30-2009, 08:32 PM
The 50% only applies to clothing that is in a camo pattern. 50% of the garment must be orange and the other 50% some other camo color usually black or brown.

mechredd
11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
I can tell you this. I wear a full suit (bibs and jacket) Mossy Oak Blaze Camo. On opening afternoon I was seated in my outdoor chair. I had a doe followed by several other deer walk within 15 yards of me and stop and look right through me. She looked around and continued on her way until she got downwind of me and bolted while not looking at me.

I for one am in favor of blaze orange as it's meant to protect you from guys who shoot at anything that moves.....and I like the fact that they can see me from 500 yards away in open areas and hopefully don't shoot in my direction.

I'm in favor of blaze for the same reasons, but deer can still see it, especially if its solid. Deer are naturally inquisitive and will look at something for a few seconds before determining if its dangerous. I've had deer look at me at less than 10 yards then go back to what they were doing. I've also had deer look at me from 30+ yards and get spooked.

2 years ago I had a doe come so close I could have touched it. I took a shot with my muzzle loader but had a nasty hang fire. The deer moved about 10 feet and stood and looked at me. I started moving and swearing and it still looked at me. It finally walked away.

My point is, don't confuse behavior with visibility.

Garbo
11-30-2009, 09:35 PM
This was not opinion, this came from the DNR site.

"unless you wear a hat, cap, vest, jacket or rain gear "

This came from the DNR site. As I said earlier the only loophole there is if you had raingear on as it doesnt specify that has to be one of the above.

The 50% I guess you could read it as applying to the camo stuff but it would then seem to reason that unless solid orange anything other than camo would be illegal. However with all that being said I'm willing to bet that as long as you comply with 50% orange, visable from all angles and is a cap, vest, jacket or rain gear you're good.

The square inch thing you may have been looking at was Ro2 when he was referring to the DNR proposal to make it mandatory to put it on your blind but that is not law,,,, yet.

garyjt
11-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Personally I liked the old red plaid wool suits from the ol days we never got shot while wearing those hunting suits.

Actually, in the old days, we DID get shot wearing red plaid.

Red plaid at dawn and dusk, you cant even see the red in it. You can not distinguish red plaid in low light.

That said, I too prefer the old red plaid, and I still have my red plaid hunting coat.

It really does not matter what color you wear, because a real hunter would never shoot another hunter because he would have to pick out a vital area, heart, brain, spinal , lungs, etc before he could shoot. You cant find the heart location of a deer if you are pointing your gun at a human.

Inexperienced people with guns who shoot at any "movement", will shoot at red, orange, or brown movement, doesnt matter the color.

Garbo
11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Here we go

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62594&highlight=orange+blind

with the direct link to the proposal

http://www.michiganvotes.org/2009-HB-4897

Done Deal
12-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Actually, in the old days, we DID get shot wearing red plaid.

Red plaid at dawn and dusk, you cant even see the red in it. You can not distinguish red plaid in low light.

That said, I too prefer the old red plaid, and I still have my red plaid hunting coat.

It really does not matter what color you wear, because a real hunter would never shoot another hunter because he would have to pick out a vital area, heart, brain, spinal , lungs, etc before he could shoot. You cant find the heart location of a deer if you are pointing your gun at a human.

Inexperienced people with guns who shoot at any "movement", will shoot at red, orange, or brown movement, doesnt matter the color.

It is not about the misidentification of target thing....it is about the pure and simple fact that blaze orange stands out to the human eye better. Look how much a little orange no tresspassing sign stands out from a distance. Or, take just a small speck of orange that becomes visible through the brush. I guess that having that orange on has identified alot of hunters that might have otherwise had lead flying by them. Who knows?

Garbo
12-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Or it lets you know if someone is in your line before you shoot. Another innocent mistake that could happen.

billywebb71
12-05-2009, 08:04 AM
tell me the several things that are wrong with this picture?

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2009/12/firearms-season_deer_harvest_d.html

Done Deal
12-05-2009, 08:11 AM

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2009/12/firearms-season_deer_harvest_d.html

They gotta be a beech to drag with the guts in them. We have done it just to get them to the truck as we have a gutting area and a ball tree but...

The spike is tagged a little weird.

Not alot of orange but, they weren't hunting at the time of the pic.

Byron
12-05-2009, 09:31 AM

Nothing is 'wrong' there.

Done Deal
12-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Nothing is 'wrong' there.

If that is the kill tag wrapped around the antler like that there is...

Byron
12-05-2009, 09:57 AM
If that is the kill tag wrapped around the antler like that there is...
Yeah, I'm sure he's just about to get a ticket for a properly-punched tag being wrapped too tight around an antler! :rolleyes:

billywebb71
12-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I was mainly talking about the guy who has camouflage pants over his hunter orange pants. they can't be that insulating

Done Deal
12-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I'm sure he's just about to get a ticket for a properly-punched tag being wrapped too tight around an antler! :rolleyes:

I dare say that there are more than a couple of people that got tickets for improperly tagged deer over the years.

Kill tags are not supposed to be wrapped around an antler like that.

Leader
12-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I dare say that there are more than a couple of people that got tickets for improperly tagged deer over the years.

Just how are kill tags supposed to be wrapped around antlers?

Hummm... answered my own question. Page 30 of the 2009 Michigan Hunting and trapping guide, "Do not stick or wrap the kill tag to the antler of a deer..."

Byron
12-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Dare say what you will, but I doubt any have gotten a ticket for that without something else being wrong, as well.

Done Deal
12-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Dare say what you will, but I doubt any have gotten a ticket for that without something else being wrong, as well.

Doubt all you want....and do as you please....

An infraction is an infraction and a ticket is a ticket.....and I don't feel like losing a buck or a gun or the contents of my wallet because I violated the law.

I still remember the metal tags, the paper tags, the plastic backers for these tags and....still carry an 8" piece of cord with me even though the vast majority of deer I kill never see a highway after being tagged.

davefan360
12-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I think we should have to were a stroblight with some of the crazies out there.

electron Don
12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
I am amazed that those folding deer blinds don't come with a hunter orange panel. I usualy deer hunt from a blind set up at the edge trees in a fence row. A hundred yards away, it blends in very well. I usually make a point to drape something orange on top when I'm set up in rifle hunting country.

T_UNIT
01-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Myself, I trust that hunters try to identify their targets before they shoot & I don't worry about it.

Bad Idea...

USMCGunner
01-13-2010, 08:38 AM

1) Guy #2 is dangerously close to the tarsal gland. Staph, Strep and Listeria have been shown to reside there.

2) Guys #4 and 6 (L to R) are wearing camouflage that contains too much green hue and does not necessarily fit in with the environment.

3) That deer was too small to shoot.

Atheist
01-22-2010, 01:38 PM
1) Guy #2 is dangerously close to the tarsal gland. Staph, Strep and Listeria have been shown to reside there.

2) Guys #4 and 6 (L to R) are wearing camouflage that contains too much green hue and does not necessarily fit in with the environment.

3) That deer was too small to shoot.
Seriously?

1) Wrong

2) They were probably in a blind. Who cares. I archery hunt and I don't think camo is nearly as important as not being seen in the first place (motion)

3) When it comes to putting meat on the table, anything goes. I do trophy hunt all year but in the late season if there is no meat in the freezer I pop whatever isn't a fawn. Fortunately I am a bow hunter so that has always meant a doe, but I understand gun hunters. QDM is important, but with the regs we have now, it is not always possible.