PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow Help

gauddylee
12-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Thinking about investing in a crossbow but dont know what i should be looking at in a good quality crossbow. Any help would be great

ultrarider
12-04-2009, 02:08 AM
Thinking about investing in a crossbow but dont know what i should be looking at in a good quality crossbow. Any help would be great

From what I understand, the "Ten Point" is one of (if not the) best on the market. I received one as a gift this year and couldn't be more pleased. I'm sure there are some really good x-bows out there, but the Ten Point comes up in conversation quite often. They are pricey though.

Mine was purchased at G/Mountain.

caribouhunter
12-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Try searching the website http://www.crossbownation.com/

Like all website you will get a variety of feedback good and bad. I seriously think some people would write negative feedback even if given a free $100 bill. So you will need to sort through some garbage, as always.

I have found that like most things the tendency is the more money you spend, the better the item. I saved my pennies (lots of them), sold lots of spare ammo and went with the new reverse limb Horton. All I can say is all my hunt buddies who have different x-bows will be upgrading to it for next season.

Check into different manufactures warranty policies and how well they treat customers for repairs.

In the end like most things, all of them will kill a deer. It depends on personal preference and budget.

Bass Pro and Cabelas have them in stock, pick some up see how they feel

Since this was the first year it was allowed in Michigan, there will be quite a few for sale this winter as people who bought them will reconsider their purchases, decide to upgrade or decide that the long bow is better suited for them.

miked
12-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Admittedly I don't know anything about crossbows but I keep hearing from people that you need to get one that is tune-able, just like a compound bow. I guess some of the cheaper models don't allow you to do much in the way of adjusting for a weak limb or out of phase wheels etc.

NatMilCat
12-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Don't know much about them but my dad just bought a Ten Point this year. Alls I know is you could hit a bottle cap at 40 yards eight times out of ten with it. It's so accurate we can't shoot at the same spot on the target because you "will" tube your arrow...

007bondjamesbond007
12-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Bass Pro and Cabelas have them in stock, pick some up see how they feel

I know Bass Pro will let you try one before you buy.

"will" tube your arrow... Crossbows use Bolts not arrows. No offense (I got corrected too.)
:007:

Groo
12-10-2009, 07:52 PM
seams to me, you'd want the fastest shooting one possible, so the deer has less time to jump. I believe there is a x-bow speed limit though.

fr3db3ar
12-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Speed is over rated in any form of archery.....the speed of sound is 1160 fps give or take...... The fastest arrows fly just over 300 fps. The key is to shoot at deer that are not already alert and hyper sensitive.

Shoot every one you can find......but for me .....it would have to be a light one. After shooting a buck with my 30 year old model this year ( It hung on a hook for several years because I never thought I'd have a use for one, it was a gift) I've handled several new ones in the stores since then....OMG...they were like bricks that I would not want to carry all day.

Find one you like and that will be the one for you.

wadevb1
12-17-2009, 06:46 PM
If speed wasn't important we would all be sporting longbows. Speed with a xbow does have it's cons:noise. I went with Bowtechs Strykeforce, fast and quiet...very accurate too.

I would buy American:

Parker
Bowtech
Tenpoint.

All highly rated with great customer service.

Good luck.

moosefisher
01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm sold on the Barnett. I've been hunting with my same Barnett crossbow for the last 14 or 15 years. It shoots about 300 fps. I've shot a lot of deer and only didn't recover 1. Barnett has been making crossbows longer then all of the American company's. Their service is great also.
I use Buck Blaster broadheads. Google them and they are devistateing.
I've only shot deer off of the ground. So I have to use my hunting skills much more then if I was hunting out of a tree.
When I bought the bow, it had a scope with different yardage lines in the recticle. I replaced it with a cheap red dot and never looked back.
The farthest that I have shot a deer was 45 yards. It was at dusk and I misjudged the distance. He went about 50 yards or so.
Speed isn't all that important. But in my opinion, I would get a bow that tops out at least 300fps. The newer bows are much faster. Your shot placement is the most important thing that you need to worry about.
Look at how much you want to spend, buy new, and go from there.
Good Hunting, MOOSE

burle1812
01-04-2010, 06:17 PM
...... The fastest arrows fly just over 300 fps.

try http://www.strykerxbow.com/

the stryker is about 400fps while the strykerforce is about 385fps those are about as fast as they get today, word is Stryker has one on the horizon that is quicker....BUT...you can't hunt with one faster than 350fps in MI...party poopers

Crossbows
Crossbows are legal to use:

during any season in which a firearm may be used, for both big and small game statewide.
by anyone 50 years of age or older during the Oct. 1-Nov. 14 bow hunting deer season statewide.
by any hunter age 12 and older during the bow hunting season in Zone 3.

Hunters must be at least 12 years of age to use a crossbow. Youth, 10 and 11, may not use a crossbow. Crossbows used for hunting are restricted to a velocity of no more than 350 feet per second.
A free crossbow stamp, available from all license agents or online at www.michigan.gov/dnr, is required in addition to a valid hunting license for those using a crossbow to hunt. Crossbow hunters are required to wear hunter orange while hunting deer during the early antlerless, youth firearm, and the November firearm deer seasons