PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 FS Sight Picture Question

JimSig
12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi All:

Yesterday I shot a Beretta 92 FS at the range. And it drove me crazy. The gun is accurate and I love the grip and how the trigger is placed relatively to the grip..This gun is A+ in ergonomics. However, the sighting picture is odd.

Well, here is what I am used to (see Figure below). I shoot Glocks, CZs and SIGs, and I sight my point of aim as illustrated in the figure below:
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/jimmysig/Slide1.jpg

As for the 92FS, I had to experiment with it. When I allign the 3 dots as in Fig. 1 (see below) the bullet hit the paper below point of aim by about 3 inches at 15 yards. Finally I had to raise my front sight pole relative to the rear sight to get the point of aim and bullet hole alligned as shown in Fig. 2.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/jimmysig/92fs.jpg

If I keep doing this, I will screw the mental image in my head for my other handguns. Is ther a way to correct this on the 92FS. Also I hate to aim higher (i.e. with all 3 dots alligned) to hit where intended (i.e. lower by 3 inches). Any reccomendations will be appreciated.

Edited: And no I was not flinching... I am a relatively OK shooter.

NB: I used Winchester 9mm 115 FMJ and Selleier Bellout (sorry for my spelling).

007bondjamesbond007
12-08-2009, 06:48 PM
I have the same problem with mine Beretta.:007:

dramey82
12-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm bumping this so someone can answer, I don't have one but I'm curious as well.

wJAKE19
12-08-2009, 09:24 PM
my guess is either you are pushing the gun during the shot or the front sight is to high... shoot it from a solid rest, see how it shoots....

JimSig
12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
my guess is either you are pushing the gun during the shot or the front sight is to high... shoot it from a solid rest, see how it shoots....

I shot it from a solid rest, and I am sure that I was not pushing it down (flinching)..And yes, I am 100% sure that the front sight is high.

And this leaves me woth one question: Can I shorten the front sight..This will damage the finish of the front sight pole and probably I will loose the dotted circle on the front post as well..

Anybody that has a Beretta 92FS has experienced this, and what was the remedy.

mini4m3
12-08-2009, 10:02 PM
my 92fs is just dandy, never had an issue with it, ie it looks like the first couple site pictures

JimSig
12-09-2009, 12:14 AM
I think I found the solution.. An adjustable rear sight tha I can raise.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=657597

Shyster
12-09-2009, 06:31 AM
If you are worried about damaging the finish I suggest taking it to a competent gunsmith. A DIY job is not the answer.

Harv
12-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't have the problem you experienced with the 92FS, but I have a shooting pal that uses the rear sight you've listed and he loves it and I plan on upgrading to it as well. It is VERY nice and you won't regret it at all.

[QUOTE=JimSig]I think I found the solution.. An adjustable rear sight tha I can raise.

RSF
12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
let a few other good shooter shoot it first before you going messing with it,

Toledo Kid
12-09-2009, 03:06 PM
:arrow:
let a few other good shooter shoot it first before you going messing with it, Above is the best advice of the thread!!!
Some ammo will do this also is pistols. Your still combat effective.
Plus the 3 dot sight sucks on all pistols. Put the front dot on the target and hit the switch. Never mind the back two...

Don't know if they make them for the Beretta but get some Heinies or XS on it if your going to change sights.

moosefisher
12-10-2009, 09:38 AM
I have the same problem with mine Beretta.:007:
I have a Beretta M-9. I like the sites much better than those on the 92FS. Maybe you can find some take off sites off of a M-9. The sites are right on. They are only adjustable for windage. No elevation adjustments.
Good Shooting, MOOSE

magstang1
12-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I have a Brigadier and it shoots to point of aim. My sights are right on. I know the front sight is a little different than the standard 92 so maybe that is the difference?

007bondjamesbond007
12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I have fixed my problem with mine 92FS Compact L Type M. I had a Instructor work with me and I was flinching a little. I only had the gun to the range twice before and not really had any practice being it is a new gun for me. The dots on the sights are deceiving. After working with me I put 8 rounds in the 10 circle. The pistol shoots great. Get a real competent shooter try it first. The instructor put 3 shots in the black and said it's not the gun. He had me load a snapcap and put a .45acp case on the top of the gun; had me pull the trigger till I kept the brass from falling. He also hide a snapcap in the magazine with some live rounds to see if I was me reacting to the recoil. He also told me to think of the front sight as Sophia Loren it is an Italian gun and she is an Italian actress. Helped me allot.
http://maaadddog.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/sophia_loren.jpg

:007:

moosefisher
12-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I absolutely love this guys way of thinking. Maybe I'm dating myself. But a good way of thinking none the less. Now every time I pick up my M-9 and shoot it, I'll be thinking of Sophia.
Thanks for the thought and Good Shooting , MOOSE

He also told me to think of the front sight as Sophia Loren it is an Italian gun and she is an Italian actress. Helped me allot.

DennyVW
12-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I absolutely love this guys way of thinking. Maybe I'm dating myself. But a good way of thinking none the less. Now every time I pick up my M-9 and shoot it, I'll be thinking of Sophia.
Thanks for the thought and Good Shooting , MOOSE
I'm not one to usually name inanimate objects but my Beretta 92fs just acquired a new name. Ahhhh Sophia....

007bondjamesbond007
12-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm not one to usually name inanimate objects but my Beretta 92fs just acquired a new name. Ahhhh Sophia....

Jealous now! Keep your hands off my Sophia!!!!! :rofl:

JimSig
12-11-2009, 01:56 AM
thanks all for the input.. I already set my mind to buy an adjustable rear sight.

NB. please close thread.

BH1911
12-12-2009, 11:35 PM
In the military, I always put the sights on center mass, I see that you have found your issue (trigger pull).

Anyone else ever shoot the M-9 center mass?

I always qualified expert...I would get a good laugh to hear it is a 6 o'clock shooter.

JimSig
02-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Well..Here is an update on the issue.. I bought an adjustable rear sight from an MGO member, who happened to be a good friend too about a month ago... It wasn't till this evening, I stopped at my favorite gun shop (Yes TOPGUNS in TAYLOR) and had the gunsmith replace it on my Beretta. It took me about 50 rds to sight the gun (80% of the spent rounds was trial and error until I figured out how things should be done and the last 20% of the rounds were fine tuning).. Boy I can shoot at 10 yards at point of aim dead accurate. And at 15 yards my regular grouping as with my other guns.. I am in love with my Beretta now.

And a big thank you to Miller for selling me the rear adjustable sight. And thanks for Steve at Topguns for the most accurate and craftsmanship installation. issue resolved..I just felt I owe the audience a closing statement as a lesson learned.

:mrgreen:

dramey82
02-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Good for you, want to sell it? :whistle:

JimSig
02-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Good for you, want to sell it? :whistle:

I would take that as a compliment but No Thanks.. :banana:

dramey82
02-03-2010, 11:31 PM
I would take that as a compliment but No Thanks.. :banana:
And you should, 92 will be my next handgun, you know, trying to find a nice one for a cheap price, so I'm sure it will be a while, I shot a 96 ( 40 cal ) and loved it.

JimSig
02-03-2010, 11:38 PM
And you should, 92 will be my next handgun, you know, trying to find a nice one for a cheap price, so I'm sure it will be a while, I shot a 96 ( 40 cal ) and loved it.

Well, best of luck.. I am sure one or two will surface up for sale. Keep an eye on the Firearms For Sale Forum.

Wolvee
02-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Sophia Loren it is an Italian gun and she is an Italian actress. Helped me allot.

My line coach just had me think of "Wet Soapy Titties". I've shot like a pro ever since.

MolonLabe18
02-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Jim,
I'm a military officer- lived with the M9 for a long time. It looks like you are using a "bullseye" six oclock hold, and if you are a seasoned shooter, perhaps you are striving for match accuracy out of the gun. I have found many new military shooters will actually blame the beretta sights for being inaccurate, when an experienced shooter can usually get a very tight group inside 10 meters with the gun. In the hands of excellent shooters, I've seen 2" groups centered at 25 yards, and in one case, a Master Sergeant striking 6" plates consistently at 50 yards. (my point-- I believe the lockup of the gun to provide for very consistent groups, and the sights are usually very true for service grade accuracy). I do not believe it to be a pistol for competition level accuracy, as it is optimized for jam free reliability and offers durable sights, not precision. "It's good, but it ain't that good!" Hope the adjustable sight gives you what you're looking for. This is no precision handgun, just a reasonably reliable, hi-cap service pistol. Most of us in the Army with skills still vastly prefer other weapons over the M9 (1911s, SIGs, XDs and even Glocks).

dramey82
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Jim,
I'm a military officer- lived with the M9 for a long time. It looks like you are using a "bullseye" six oclock hold, and if you are a seasoned shooter, perhaps you are striving for match accuracy out of the gun. I have found many new military shooters will actually blame the beretta sights for being inaccurate, when an experienced shooter can usually get a very tight group inside 10 meters with the gun. In the hands of excellent shooters, I've seen 2" groups centered at 25 yards, and in one case, a Master Sergeant striking 6" plates consistently at 50 yards. (my point-- I believe the lockup of the gun to provide for very consistent groups, and the sights are usually very true for service grade accuracy). I do not believe it to be a pistol for competition level accuracy, as it is optimized for jam free reliability and offers durable sights, not precision. "It's good, but it ain't that good!" Hope the adjustable sight gives you what you're looking for. This is no precision handgun, just a reasonably reliable, hi-cap service pistol. Most of us in the Army with skills still vastly prefer other weapons over the M9 (1911s, SIGs, XDs and even Glocks).
XDs before Glocks, hehehehe wait for it, wait for it, :brow:

JimSig
02-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the post.. Actually at 18 yards, my Beretta was a 12 o'clock sight. I aim at 12 Oclock to hit center of target. If I aim at 6 o'clock i would hit way below the target. i like all my sights to be on target, and that's how I adjusted the rear sight. Now I was hitting point of aim yesterday at 10 yards. i was shooting the small black dots on my target sheet with superior accuracy. I am happy with what I have now and very comfortable. i am not a bulls eye shooter by any mean, but I like to use a target-on sight picture. Thanks again for sharing.

Calibos
02-08-2010, 10:36 PM
I've been frustrated by my 92's sights for weeks. Same problem as the OP (shooting low). Of course, when I give it to my brother, he hits dead on, so I know it isn't the gun. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can't get the hang of those sights! There was some good advice in this thread, though. I'll see about improving my technique so Sophia isn't disappointed.

RSF
02-08-2010, 10:50 PM
97% of the time its is never the sights.....