PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information / info/ help

joepistol
12-17-2009, 01:19 PM
My first post to this forum (!)
In thinking about my question ,decided to post it in this area,so here goes...

Though my shooting is not in organized competetion,most,if not all, my rifle shooting is off a bench. Primarily , I'm trying to shoot as small a group as possible, in assessing the handloads I'm trying to develope for max. accuracy in each of my rifles.

I've decided to try a bipod to see if it will improve my shooting, as I've tried several other rests, including an assortment of sandbags.

I'm looking for suggestions in brand / size of bipods to consider.

I've considered Harris (kinda pricey - around $100.00) and
Caldwell (about $50.00) any other brands anyone has used ?

I'm looking for reports of success (or lack of) with the
mentioned brands, or any other..

Would the 6"-9" be best or 9"-13" ???

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide :score:

Also, suggestiond on where to find the best price
would be appreciated...Joepistol :biggrin:

RECON762WT
12-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Go with the Harris… you can switch it between all of your rifles with the right adaptors and it is the best made. Yes they do have their faults, but so do all other bipods. I have found that when it comes to bipods spending $100 once is better than spending $39.99 three to four times. I had a shooters ridge bipod buckle under recoil, what a POS. If you’re doing bench work you might just consider using a small tripod with a yoke on it so you don’t have to spend time swapping out the bipod.

SSG3K
12-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Scope? Shooting technique? flinching? what caliber? trigger pull? many more factors involved than just changing the bipod. The best thing that will help you develop reloads is a chrono. ES and SD really tell you whats going on with the loads. But I would recomend a Harris swivel 6-9 leg notch bipod with a pod lock ($125 total investment)

Rich

EricF517
12-19-2009, 12:34 AM
I am actually going to be selling 1 or 2 Harris BiPods and changing over to Atlus. I cannot get enough load on the Harris's to make me happy.

mechredd
12-19-2009, 04:34 AM
Many brands are good, but there are easily twice as many bad ones out there. Try to avoid anything dirt cheap such as UTG, NcStar, and Barska among others. They are total crap. You'll find several positive reviews on them but it is mostly from people that haven't taken their gun to the range, mounted it on a rimfire or airgun, or have used it to fire a box or so of rounds out of a soft recoiling rifle like an AR.

I have a cheep one that I bought for an airgun, and later mounted to a 22. Its total garbage, and I don't use it any more. Anything that is less than $50 is going to be a waist of money. There are some Harris clones that sell for $60-70. They're not too bad, but an actual Harris is better. Most of the clones use allot of aluminum or thinner steel and can bend under heavy recoil. Harris and similarly priced units will use higher quality materials.

BobM
12-19-2009, 06:29 PM
My first post to this forum (!)
In thinking about my question ,decided to post it in this area,so here goes...

I've decided to try a bipod to see if it will improve my shooting, as I've tried several other rests, including an assortment of sandbags.

..Joepistol :biggrin:

Here's my .02 cents.
A bipod, no matter what brand you pick will not increase or help your accuraccy. that is not what they are designed for.

Bring a back pack with you with an assortment of gear and clothing etc. learn to dismount it and lay your rifle across it, then remember your basic fundamentals of shooting "B.R.A.S.S."

You can still buy a bipod and put it on your rifle, it has a purpose.

Bob M