PDA

View Full Version : Question for those involved in hunting leases

luthis
12-17-2009, 07:55 PM
I am considering buying a peice of land for personal investment, which will generally be leased as hunting land to close friends.

How do you value the cost of a lease. Ideally I'll be puchasing 100 Acres within a 2 to 3 hour drive from metro Detroit.

Access to the property would be available year round to those on the lease, and they would have exclusive use of the land during the fall.

What should that lease for? How many people could you lease it to?

Thanks for the input.

jgorski
12-18-2009, 11:09 PM
While I am no expert on leases I have checked into many of them. First off you must make the decission as to how many persons you want or feel comfortable having on the land. Remember more people equals less acerage per hunter and more pressure on the deer. Next you need to think about what you plan to allow on your property, the taking of any deer or only select age or size deer, how many deer per year will you allow to be taken. Is the area well known for quality deer. What do you plan to do to the property to maintain or improve the deer herd? These are all things to be considered as you begin to decide how much you plan to charge for leases.
Better land = better herd = better prices. Hope this helps. When you decide let me know as I too may be interesed if you decide you have room. John

wadevb1
12-20-2009, 08:44 AM
I am considering buying a peice of land for personal investment, which will generally be leased as hunting land to close friends.

How do you value the cost of a lease. Ideally I'll be puchasing 100 Acres within a 2 to 3 hour drive from metro Detroit.

Access to the property would be available year round to those on the lease, and they would have exclusive use of the land during the fall.

What should that lease for? How many people could you lease it to?

Thanks for the input.

Unless the land produces quality animals usually the lease pays the property taxes. I believe the number of hunters leasing the property should fall upon them. Some may want to archery and some rifle.

Done Deal
12-20-2009, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=luthis]
How do you value the cost of a lease. QUOTE]

Show us the pics of the bucks or ducks or turks or whatever was taken on that ground.

100 acres of dirt really doesn't mean much in terms of the quality of the experience and it is for that opportunity that you value the long term lease potential.

If you look at ten bucks an acre for the lease (thousand a year) you had better have something to show for it.

Byron
12-20-2009, 10:14 AM
If you have a specific parcel in mind, email me some aerial/satellite photos with boundaries and I'll give you a good idea of how many could reasonably hunt it and what it might be worth at lease.

Best Regards,
Byron

Done Deal
12-21-2009, 11:03 AM
If you have a specific parcel in mind, email me some aerial/satellite photos with boundaries and I'll give you a good idea of how many could reasonably hunt it and what it might be worth at lease.

Interesting.....and just how do you go about that based on satellite photos?

Aerial views don't tell the story on hunter success and, not all chunks of ground are created equally.

wally1120
12-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Your right Done Deal, Not all grounds are created equally. I am sure he is wanting to take a look at the property, To see if there is alot of Trees, Houses, Other Objects out on the land you own/ Plan to own. If there is alot of Trees, Houses, ETC around that will limit how many hunters can be out there hunting on the land. Also is it some kinda Vegetation out there? That would also be a very big deciding factor there as well. If you are going to let them Small game hunt, Is there any power lines In/Around the Woods? Is there a Road(s) close to where the land is?

There is ALOT to figure out when you let other people hunt on your land, And even more so when you dont know the people that are going to be hunting out there. I would take a tour of the Land, and survey if there is anything that is around the land that shouldn`t be shot, Bullets can travel up to 2 Miles. I would take note of every little thing out there, You never know if there will be a bad apple out there hunting your land. I would also get the feelings of the people around that land, If they are hunters as well. If the Hunters on your land hit a Deer, And runs into surrounding land of yours, Do your hunters have permission to track into someone else`s land?

Just the way that I feel, I have talked to many Farmers, I was lucky to get Permission, I did however get a walk thru of the property I was hunting, Where he didn`t want me to go, Were his property line ended, ETC