PDA

View Full Version : Fishing ?

JLHOG
12-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Can anyone tell me if you need a fishing license in MI to fish a pond that is on private property? I looked at the DNR site and could not find anything. I have a pond in my backyard that is also along a main road. I am worried the DNR may drive by and give me a ticket. The pond is on my property, but you all know how greedy the gov can be.

maddog3241
12-26-2009, 02:31 PM
I can't quote or link the actual law, but I beleive that if you own it, and all the land surrounding it, you do not need a license to fish it.. I will see if I can find it, and edit this post... Matt

JLHOG
12-26-2009, 03:12 PM
maddog,
If you can find that it would be great. i tried searching and found nothing.

Remasculated
12-26-2009, 08:15 PM

mikethepike
12-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Yes, you still need a license

Roger Roney
12-28-2009, 03:48 AM
Yes, you still need a licenseCare to cite a source since you are saying yes, and post #2 said no?

Another question is it an isolated pond or is there a stream feeding/draining it and would that have effect on yes or no?

Rugergirl
12-28-2009, 07:53 AM
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Water97e_142928_7.pdf

Scroll down to page 13, the law starts a section B

Basically to fish the water itself, no license is required, and open and closed seasons don't apply. But once you leave the property with that fish and enter public property license and normal DNR restrictions do apply.
To be on the safe side I'd get the license, they are cheap enough.

JLHOG
12-28-2009, 07:33 PM
The pond has no inlet or outlet and it is completly on my property. So it looks like no license? Like I said it is close to a main road and if the DNR drives by I want to know before they come and hassel me.

G22
12-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Yes, you can. However "at a time and in a manner permitted by law" implies that you have to follow the open/closed season rules and other regulations.

http://tinyurl.com/yarlnwo

(2) A resident, the resident's spouse, and the resident's children may fish without a license in water wholly within the limits of their enclosed farmlands or other enclosed lands upon which they are regularly domiciled, at a time and in a manner permitted by law.

Done Deal
12-29-2009, 08:24 AM
The pond has no inlet or outlet and it is completly on my property. So it looks like no license? Like I said it is close to a main road and if the DNR drives by I want to know before they come and hassel me.

No license, no line/tip up regulations etc.

But, if you start getting slab gills, we need an invite.

Done Deal
12-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Care to cite a source since you are saying yes, and post #2 said no?

Another question is it an isolated pond or is there a stream feeding/draining it and would that have effect on yes or no?

Inlet or outlet at any time of year, all regs apply.

CaptnKirk
12-29-2009, 04:14 PM
In response to your question, as long as the pond in on your property (as you stated) then no, you would not need a license. Also, if any fish are transported off of the property, all state fishing laws would be applicable.

If you have any friends over that intend on fishing the pond, they WOULD have to be licensed.

Captn---