PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun advice - Recoil pad/Chokes

Signess
12-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey folks, I picked up a Stoeger Condor Competition not long ago. I'm getting ready to go out and bust some clays within the next couple weeks. I've done a lot of investigating about this gun, and the biggest complaint I've heard was the recoil pad. Specifically "replace that piece of junk they call a recoil pad" on other forums.

That being said, I need opinions on recoil pads. Which is the best, where to get them, so on and so forth.

Secondly, chokes... I'll be using it for all clay sports basically. Trap, Sporting, Skeet, 5 stand. Basically everywhere from the 16-25. I know where to get them, but I'm not sure which ones to get. Come on you die hard clay shooters, hook me up here. I don't want to waste my money here.

Also, I want extended chokes. That I know for sure. I'm pretty confused as to what is the difference in all of them, outside of extended, extended ported, flush. Yet there's all those others. :scratch: Are they just colors, or whats the deal with that? They don't describe much when you click the decription.

From this list here: http://www.briley.com/browninginvectorchokes.aspx

RifleGuy
12-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I installed a Sorbothane recoil pad I bought from Brownells on my old Mossberg 500; excellent recoil reduction, and easy installation (just follow the instructions!)

JohnS624
12-30-2009, 11:41 PM
The Limbsaver recoil pads are really nice. They made my lightweight Remington M7 in 308 more pleasant to shoot than my M94 30/30.

Eternal Sun
12-30-2009, 11:54 PM
I like the Limbsaver brand recoil pads. I have heard that they are also the company who makes the new R3 recoil pad found on the new Remington shotguns. They feel soft and gummy, but there not so tacky that they cling to your clothes. I shot two rounds of skeet (50 shots) with one of these pads and barely even felt like I had shot the shotgun. These tame the recoil very nicely. They cost about $40. As far as chokes, for skeet I prefer a "Skeet" choke or an "Improved Cylinder". For trap I like a "Modified" choke, For sporting Clays I like an "Improved Cylinder". I once heard a professional clay shooter say "for under 50 yards use an skeet choke, and for over 50 yards use a modified choke"...pretty simple. Although if I was to be stuck with only one choke I'd choose an Improved cylinder.
Since your range is 16-25 yards I would choose a SKEET choke.
Here is a link to Shotgun World it might help
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

jimbojr
12-31-2009, 05:36 AM
Also, I want extended chokes. That I know for sure. I'm pretty confused as to what is the difference in all of them, outside of extended, extended ported, flush. Yet there's all those others. :scratch: Are they just colors, or whats the deal with that? They don't describe much when you click the decription.

From this list here: http://www.briley.com/browninginvectorchokes.aspx

I found that the color wears off in time with cleaning, engraved or stamped is best "IMO". Extended are ok just give you an extra inch and I find are easer to R&R. Ported well that is a different story, my barrels are ported and what a bitch to clean let alone that the residue gets on everything. Recoil pad, buy a quality I as the others stated. keep in mind that over time and use they also will need to be replaced.

Spasin'Out
12-31-2009, 06:18 PM
I put one of those slip on limbsaver pads on my SxS 12 gauge. Super fun to shoot after that, until i decided to rock some 3 inch mag buckshot and pull both triggers..:poed: ...It pretty much took me to the ground, and i haven't been able to shoot it since. Shoulder still hurts. So, i got smart and decided to look at box o' truth and see what that guy was using when he when to shotgun school. Recoil shield!! So, i got one of those for xmas. Sure it looks kind of dorky, but i like being able to use my shoulder. Not to bad of price, 40 of 50 bucks if i remember right. Kind of a tuff lessoned learned that day.

Signess
12-31-2009, 06:42 PM
I found that the color wears off in time with cleaning, engraved or stamped is best "IMO". Extended are ok just give you an extra inch and I find are easer to R&R. Ported well that is a different story, my barrels are ported and what a bitch to clean let alone that the residue gets on everything. Recoil pad, buy a quality I as the others stated. keep in mind that over time and use they also will need to be replaced.

Yeah, but what do the colors signify? There has got to be some type of symbolization in regards to them. There is a slight difference in descriptions, what little of a description there is.

Buzzcat
12-31-2009, 07:06 PM
With all due respect, you should take the gun out for the shoot "as is" and see how she performs. No point in buying replacement recoil pads ahead of time just because someone on the intertubes says you have to. Especially since you haven't even shot the thing yet.

Establish base-line performance with the OEM set-up, then add on as you see fit.

JMHO. :wink:

As far as the chokes go, I have no freaking idea.

Signess
12-31-2009, 07:40 PM
With all due respect, you should take the gun out for the shoot "as is" and see how she performs. No point in buying replacement recoil pads ahead of time just because someone on the intertubes says you have to. Especially since you haven't even shot the thing yet.

Establish base-line performance with the OEM set-up, then add on as you see fit.

JMHO. :wink:

As far as the chokes go, I have no freaking idea.

Thanks, but I have shot them before. Also, I'm not sure how I would tell the difference if I didn't have something to gauge between the 2. You know, kinda like a holster. You go through a few before you find what you like usually. That's why I posted here, for some good recommendations. I'm sure I will end up shooting it before I replace the recoil pad. But inevitably it will come to fruition. I'm just looking for a nice looking "good functioning" recoil pad.

Another reason why I went with a budget O/U. It's a starter, learning gun for me.

mechredd
12-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Limbsaver pads are really nice, and you can go all day with one if you're just busting skeet.

As for chokes, every gun and shooter are different. I can't hit anything with a skeet choke, but with a modified I become a clay assassin, at least when compared to my shooting buddies.

TFin04
12-31-2009, 07:56 PM
I like an IC choke on the skeet field, a Mod on trap, and an IC/Mod combo on sporting clays.

jimbojr
01-01-2010, 04:32 AM
Yeah, but what do the colors signify? There has got to be some type of symbolization in regards to them. There is a slight difference in descriptions, what little of a description there is.

Here ya go. Is this what you were looking for?

White - Full,
Light Blue - Cylinder,
Yellow - Improved Cylinder,
Grey - Light Full,
Orange - Light Modified,
Green - Modified,
Red - Skeet European,
Purple - Skeet USA,
Black - Improved Modified

Signess
01-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Here ya go. Is this what you were looking for?

White - Full,
Light Blue - Cylinder,
Yellow - Improved Cylinder,
Grey - Light Full,
Orange - Light Modified,
Green - Modified,
Red - Skeet European,
Purple - Skeet USA,
Black - Improved Modified

No, not exactly. Check this link here, and you'll see what I mean.
http://www.briley.com/browninginvectorchokes.aspx

And lets take it a step further...

Following which ever choke you choose, there is a drop down with numerous others to choose from. Light Full, Light mod, this that the other. Can you understand as a first time choke buyer where I'm a bit confused as to which ones I want?

jimbojr
01-01-2010, 08:37 PM
No, not exactly. Check this link here, and you'll see what I mean.
http://www.briley.com/browninginvectorchokes.aspx

And lets take it a step further...

Following which ever choke you choose, there is a drop down with numerous others to choose from. Light Full, Light mod, this that the other. Can you understand as a first time choke buyer where I'm a bit confused as to which ones I want?

Generally back before choke tube's you bought a gun with a fixed barrel choke, "Full, Modified or Improved."
From what I saw on the link they offer different tube designs "flush, extended, ported, colors ect" for your liking they all have the same chokes as I listed above plus rifled and extrafull. With or without porting. The decimal listed after each is the tighting of the bore "choke" from a zero or the gauge. Try (choketubes.com).
All you should need is Full, Modified and improved. IMO.
I have skeet and a few others but I am not that good that it makes a difference between Light modified and modified.

Signess
01-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Cool, thats what I'm looking for! :thumbup:

So, those are all just to pretty up your gun to your liking. Nice! Forgive my noobness here. LOL

Where do you shoot at? When I get this rig up, I'll hook up with you and shoot a few rounds. I'm a member at Huron Pointe. But, Richmond, Perch Pointe, BB&S, been to all of them at one Point or another.

jporis
05-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I bought a Limbsaver slip-on for my 12ga Remington 1100 after shooting 2 rounds of trap without any recoil pad on it (simple wood stock). I was bruised and sore.

The Limbsaver was about $25 and works really well.

This year, I will probably take the gun to get it fitted and get a permanent recoil pad installed at the same time.

cranky1
05-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Full and Modified is probably all you will ever need. Someone here said shoot it first to see how it patterns and then buy chokes to fit the game. Good advice

I'm a member at Richmond. Wednesdays they have 16 yard league but you can go and shoot practice for 4-5 bucks a round plus shells