PDA

View Full Version : Maybe someone can help? indoor range info

GenosTools&Guns
01-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Hello I am a owner of a small gun store in Waterford, Mi and would LOVE to have a indoor pistol range, I have looked and contacted a few online and it looks like it ranges in price from 50 to 100 thousand a lane complete. Well at that price I will not be getting a range put in. does anyone have any exsperiance in this area?

I would even look into a portable semi trailer with range inside to buy if possible? Thanks Gene

DOUGHBOY RACING
01-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Gene to start out I would look into doing an outdoor range, less upfront cost and more demand of folks wanting to shoot at things like pins, sillouhettes, or just performing ballistics tests on things. You would also get shooters who cant shoot Military Surplus ammo at an indoor range, you would have a gold mine on your hands.

ittayem66
01-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Hello I am a owner of a small gun store in Waterford, Mi and would LOVE to have a indoor pistol range, I have looked and contacted a few online and it looks like it ranges in price from 50 to 100 thousand a lane complete. Well at that price I will not be getting a range put in. does anyone have any exsperiance in this area?

I would even look into a portable semi trailer with range inside to buy if possible? Thanks Gene

wow that seems kinda steep per lane

MICPL
01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
also try looking into used ranges. start by contacting NSSF. they maybe able to point you in the right direction for things like this.

10-13 lanes will cost roughly 250k new depending on the company. the lanes are not whats expensive, its the ventilation

Tom S.
01-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Gene, MICPL is spot on. I spoke to the guys at Target Sports when they had to redo their ventilation system and it was major bucks. It has to remove the lead from the air inside the building and keep it from being exhausted outside the building, which is what drives the cost up.

Then there's the traps. The caliber limitations will determine the cost of those. Then there's containment - making sure misdirected bullets (can you say accidental discharge?) don't leave the building.

Last, but of course not least is the liability insurance. Hold on to you seat for that one!

Since I only live a mile and a half from you, I'd love to see you open an indoor range, but you better start buying lotto tickets!! ;-)

Garbo
01-26-2010, 02:42 PM
From the other side check with the Twp and see what hoops you may have to jump through there.

SIX29
02-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Johnson Controls in Midland, Mi jsut took over a bankrupt range. They had 12 to 15 lanes. They now have the equiptment stored. You may be able to buy that. They are on Stark Rd.

onmywayup
02-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Last, but of course not least is the liability insurance. Hold on to you seat for that one!

I know what the liability insurance is for our business, and we are only climbing ladders, not allowing the general public to shoot guns. I can only imagine how much more it must be.

If ranges were 50-100k a lane, I don't think we'd see very many of 'em out there, especially not attached to small shops like you see sometimes.

Daniels
02-16-2010, 07:50 AM
The Wyandotte PD is getting ready to demolish their old station. Might want to contact them and see if the old range is still there and if so if you can buy it. I'd hurry though.

sca037
02-16-2010, 11:45 AM
One disadvantage you might encounter is that the Oakland County Sportsman's Club (OCSC) has a recently refurbished indoor pistol range close by.
It has the air handling capabilities, and is inexpensive for guests to use ($5 IIRC) if accompanied by a member.
It's an open format (not individual lanes) and has several pistol caliber limitations though...........

Brian

Crazychild
02-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Brings up a question, Do all indoor ranges have to have lanes and proper ventilation?

Daniels
02-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Brings up a question, Do all indoor ranges have to have lanes and proper ventilation?

I'm pretty sure they don't need to have individual lanes but I do believe their has to be some type of proper ventilation.

Crazychild
02-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm pretty sure they don't need to have individual lanes but I do believe their has to be some type of proper ventilation.

I read on a homeland security web page in regards to indoor ranges, and they stated that the range had to be a certain legnth 75yrds I believe and had to have a minium of 10 lanes with moveable targets, also proper ventilation, and storage room.. But Again so many web site contridict the other.

Daniels
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
I read on a homeland security web page in regards to indoor ranges, and they stated that the range had to be a certain legnth 75yrds I believe and had to have a minium of 10 lanes with moveable targets, also proper ventilation, and storage room.. But Again so many web site contridict the other.

Yeah, I know a few indoor ranges without individual lanes or moving targets. Unless they got grandfathered in or something.

Would be interesting to know for sure.

onmywayup
02-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Has anybody else ever shot at Weimer's Gun Shop in Hartland? He's a small shop, and his range is just a couple of 'lanes' running on the long side of a pole barn attached to his shop. There's a backstop at one end and a couple of movable gun tables at the other. You walk down and clip up your own targets on a clothesline with clothespins.

This is a legit gun store and the guy knows his stuff, so I'm sure the lanes are legal. But there is NO way these things cost 50k-100k to put up. Unless I'm WAY off regarding ventilation systems or this guy is running an illegal range.

Crazychild
02-16-2010, 05:31 PM
I only asked the O.P about some laws on the indoor range because of my neighbor that has one a range in his small garage with no movable targets or ventilation. Was hoping since he wanted to make one he would know.

Daniels
02-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Has anybody else ever shot at Weimer's Gun Shop in Hartland? He's a small shop, and his range is just a couple of 'lanes' running on the long side of a pole barn attached to his shop. There's a backstop at one end and a couple of movable gun tables at the other. You walk down and clip up your own targets on a clothesline with clothespins.

This is a legit gun store and the guy knows his stuff, so I'm sure the lanes are legal. But there is NO way these things cost 50k-100k to put up. Unless I'm WAY off regarding ventilation systems or this guy is running an illegal range.

It depends what you are going with. They can easily EXCEED $100K depending on what all you want. Especially if you have nothing to begin with. For one, you can't just have studded drywall walls so if that is what your shop has now you have some block walls to build. A good ventilation system is not cheap by any means and either are the retractable targets. It all depends on what you are looking to do and how much you want to spend really. You can go for a back yard hick setup or a nice professional system. It's just depends on what the owner wants.

oldfart
02-17-2010, 11:22 AM
You could contact Brown Bear in Chesterfeild Township. He just opened a 6 lane range in his store, he could tell about the hoops he had to jump through.