PDA

View Full Version : First time out yote hunting

EricF517
01-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Well I went out this morning with the wife's best friend's boyfriend. Who for some reason didn't believe in scentlock. "I don't trust that stuff. Besides coyotes aren't like deer." It was a lost cause to try to get him to understand that their sense of smell was just like a dog only they don't like humans.

So went out to a piece of state land and say LOTS of sign. I was blown away by the deer sign where we were in the woods too. So we walked a 2-track out to the fields where we were going to hunt. About 2 hours of calling and he was ready to go home. We were walking the 2-track out and you could plainly see the "fresh" tracks from some coyotes in the snow. They had circled in behind us to try to wing us as I expected them to do. Just like a smart deer. I told him that the coyote left him a calling card for him on why scentlock was important. A nice pile melting into the snow!!

miller
01-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Sounds like time for a solo mission.

Done Deal
01-18-2010, 12:44 PM
He was right...yotes aren't like deer. Their sense of smell is a helluva lot better and when they get a whiff of a human, they are long gone.

musashi
01-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Look at it those way Eric, at least you got to wander around aimlessly in the snow for a few hours. Dis you take the 5r? How did the stock carry?

EricF517
01-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Look at it those way Eric, at least you got to wander around aimlessly in the snow for a few hours. Dis you take the 5r? How did the stock carry?

I am falling in love with the McM A5. It carried really nice for the walk. The stock is really comfy to shoot. I am going to have to put that rifle in a A5 I think once I get my hands on an AICS and see if I like them better. I also figured out the problem that I was having with the wife's SASS. Too bad I have been having trouble to get her out shooting again. It's either too cold or too wet. Hopefully one day it is perfect LOL