PDA

View Full Version : IPSC @ Top Gun Tonight *Updated w/ Video*

skoltuniak
01-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Is anybody else going tonight?

Update:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/skoltuniak/th_Shaun.jpg (http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/skoltuniak/?action=view&current=Shaun.flv)

wurm
01-24-2010, 08:16 PM
I really wanted to go tonight but I had family obligations. I've been to the last couple of Thursday practices though and have had a good time. Surprisingly busy. Lots of new shooters which I always like to see. I'm definitely going to try and make it next month.

Anybody go and want to let me know how it went? I hear they got both sides of the range to use.

7.62 Nato
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Just saw it.

skoltuniak
01-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Great stages tonight. Stage one was had a lot of movement (big stage for indoors) and stages 2 & 4 had reactive tagrets. About 35 shooters I think. Great time!

streightfaced
01-26-2010, 12:36 PM
what all gear do you need for these events?

brianennis
01-27-2010, 10:45 AM
A production type gun of a least 38 caliber, including 9mm.
A holster that covers the trigger from which you can safely draw & re-holster.
Two minimum, three is better, magazines or speed loaders.
Eyes & ears, 100+ rounds.
Safe gun handling & good atitude.

More info - www.uspsa.org

PS it's a lot of fun!

HDRadar
01-30-2010, 06:45 PM
I thought it was tomorrow! The sight say last sunday of the month. I guess I read that wrong. Next month for sure!

_DK_
01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
I'd be interested in trying it, whens the next date?

wurm
01-31-2010, 12:20 AM
First and Third Thursday of the month for practice starts at 6pm(?) though people just show up when they can. Last Sunday of the month for the match though as HDRadar mentioned this past month had the match a week early. Take a look at

http://www.topgunshootingsports.com/li.php

I've only made practices so far at Top Gun but they get a big turnout.

Skinner 2
02-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Are fmj's OK for a 9mm or are hollow points required like they are for the Pin shoot. Also what does this cost? All I could find was information on the Pin shoots.

Additionally is my 4" XD-9 good for this?

Skinner

wurm
02-02-2010, 04:27 PM
9mm fmj are perfectly fine. I believe the cost for a practice is $15 though I'm only 95% sure on that. I haven't made a match at Top Gun yet but I can't imagine it being much more than that. The 4" XD would serve you just fine. Just bring a holster, mag carriers and extra mags and you should be all set. I'm hoping to be up there this Thursday for practice.

Skinner 2
02-02-2010, 10:03 PM
9mm fmj are perfectly fine. I believe the cost for a practice is $15 though I'm only 95% sure on that. I haven't made a match at Top Gun yet but I can't imagine it being much more than that. The 4" XD would serve you just fine. Just bring a holster, mag carriers and extra mags and you should be all set. I'm hoping to be up there this Thursday for practice.

Sweet. I may just be there to check this out.

Thanks

Skinner

hopeitsfast
02-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Can you bring your own ammo?

skoltuniak
02-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Can you bring your own ammo?
Yup.

v.navarre
02-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I would like learn how to get into competitive shooting. Im wondering if there are any membership fees like with bowling, im kind of broke usually hey im married and shes a hell of a shot. Are there different classes like for beginners kind of concerned about being embarrassed or are most people willing to answer questions and help. would like a little insight. thanks alot.

Will-IB-Ready
02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Wow. That looked like a great stage for indoors. Wish it wasn't so far away, although I heard talk today about an indoor range possibly being built about 25 minutes from my house...

dougwg
02-09-2010, 09:51 PM
sweet

RECON762WT
02-09-2010, 10:31 PM
What are the courses of fire/stages like on the Thursday night practice session?
How many stages do you get to shoot & how many rounds are typically shot in a stage?
-thanks.

skoltuniak
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
What are the courses of fire/stages like on the Thursday night practice session?
How many stages do you get to shoot & how many rounds are typically shot in a stage?
-thanks.
I've never gone to a practice but I hear that they only use one range so 3 stages max.

The competitions that I've gone to there always have 4 stages.

wurm
02-09-2010, 11:39 PM
-thanks.

Last week's practice had two stages, one with 18 rounds and one with 12 rounds and then we got to run both of the stages together at once (though slightly modified). The practice before had three stages but they ran out of time before everyone could run all three stages at once so I'm assuming that's why they cut the number of stages down this last time. It's my only complaint about the practice is that a lot of people show up and since it is an indoor range they are limited to one person shooting at a time. Most people only get to shoot each stage once. Not that I'm complaining too much as I don't have too many other places to shoot fast indoors during the winter. Our indoor winter IDPA practices face a similar predicament.

v.navarre, I've seen a good number of new shooters show up to the Top Gun practices that I've been to and they've always been welcomed. Carl, the Michigan USPSA section coordinator is always there and he seems to love to take new shooters to the side and give them help. Heck, I find shooters in general will almost always be happy to help out and talk your ear off if you let them. I know I'm guilty of that most of the time :) Cost is $15 for the night and I don't think they force you to join USPSA just to shoot practices. Shooting matches might be different but I'm not real sure on that one. I'm new to USPSA myself and I only got my rulebook in the mail a couple of days ago. If you take a look at the results of the last practice you can see that 9 of the 20 shooters that showed up were Unclassified which means there were a whole lot of us newbies to USPSA there.

http://www.uspsa.com/mr/match_index.php?local=1&clubid=MI19&year=2010&match=02_04

HDRadar
02-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Good shooten!

Skinner 2
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
I watched the first half of this shoot. I didn't get to shoot in it as planned as my Father in Law could not stay for the time needed.

I think I talked with Carl. Tall skinny guy with a race gun. Nice guy and was very helpful.

I do plan of shooting this next week so tack on another newbie.

Stock XD-9 Service.

What does the GM, M, A, B, C, D, U stand for?

Skinner

boganz45
02-19-2010, 07:31 AM
What does the GM, M, A, B, C, D, U stand for?
Skinner

Those are the various classes.

"Classification of shooters is handled by the USPSA. Each time you shoot a match at a sanctioned club event, one of the stages will be a standard USPSA "Classifier". Your score on this stage is sent to the USPSA by the club. The score is then compared to the best scores that USPSA has on file for that stage. After at least 4 scores have been submitted to USPSA you will receive a classification. Thereafter the best 6 of your most recent 8 classifications will be used to calculate your classification. The classification breakdowns are:

D Class Below 40.0%
C Class 40.0% to 59.9%
B Class 60.0% to 74.9%
A Class 75.0% to 84.9%
Master Class 85.0% to 94.9%
Grand Master Class 95.0 % or above

In other words, after 4 classifications have been submitted to USPSA they will be used to calculate your classification. If your score is less than 40% of the score that USPSA has on file for the classifiers, you will be classified as "D" class. If your score is between 40 and 59.9% of the "Standard" score, you will be classified as "C" class, and so on.

You will have a separate classification for each USPSA division; Open, Limited, Limited 10, Production, and Revolver."