PDA

View Full Version : Hand-to-Hand Combatives Training Anyone?

buckcz
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Does anyone here train/practice in Combative style training such as Dog Brother Style (MadDog Denny), Kelly McCann/ Jim Grover style combatives, Military Style, etc.......

Something where you are actually sparring, using scenarios, etc.

mechredd
01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Several colleges and universities offer these classes. Some of them will allow non students to enroll in such classes. The college I attend will holds one of these classes each year, and people are allowed to enroll as a non credit student with not program to major in, so that they can take this class. For students it is expensive because they have to pay for the class credit. I don't know if its any cheaper for a non credit student.

BCCThumper
01-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Military Instructor, Combatives Level II.

woody-99
02-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Military Instructor, Combatives Level II.

yeah you better not train anyone outside of work unless it's me first!

bowend
02-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Does cardio kick-boxing at the Ymca count?

Will-IB-Ready
02-10-2010, 10:57 AM
No, but I'd like to. Some Krav, or something would be good. We have an MMA group at the university but it's not like situational defensive combat.

skoltuniak
02-10-2010, 11:44 AM
No, but I'd like to. Some Krav, or something would be good. We have an MMA group at the university but it's not like situational defensive combat.
PM Franky1 He trains SRT and Krav Maga.

Will-IB-Ready
02-10-2010, 01:31 PM
PM Franky1 He trains SRT and Krav Maga.
Yeah, but where does he do it? I'm way up in Big Rapids.

Trainer
02-10-2010, 10:41 PM
If you haven't already started attending the MMA group, you really should (only if it's good training, not just idiots trying to KO each other). The reality of it is, in a self defense situation these days you may likely end up facing someone with a similar skillset.

Just remember why you're there & add an extra "switch" to your fighting or self defense mentality.

- Josh

edit: I own/run an MMA school in St. Johns, work w/ Krav WW instructors when in California, & various other arts. I wouldn't have a problem holding a "gathering" for folks from here, prolly fit up to 20 ppl, no *****holes though I have a low tolerance for BS.

yuri.debura
03-04-2010, 01:34 AM
but finding is realy?

cmil333
03-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Does anyone here train/practice in Combative style training such as Dog Brother Style (MadDog Denny), Kelly McCann/ Jim Grover style combatives, Military Style, etc.......

Something where you are actually sparring, using scenarios, etc.

I am an instructor at Michigan Krav Maga and we definitely meet those criteria. Krav is extremely reality based. In fact almost all of our training is done from a point of disadvantage (i.e. unarmed defenses against an attacker with a gun, chokes from behind, attacks from multiple attackers, etc...). The curriculum includes scenario based training, sparring, fitness training, and high stress, instinctive reaction training (defenses based on the typical human reaction to a threat).

In addition to our standard curriculum we also have seminars that are open to non-students and typically do not require any previous experience. In a month or so we will be having a gun defense seminar and all are welcome (unfortunately being law abiding citizens means we can't always have our weapons on us).

Michigan Krav Maga is located in Livonia, but there are three other schools (official Krav Maga World Wide schools) in Michigan that I know of. They are located in Wixom, Troy, and Wyandotte. Being an instructor at Michigan Krav Maga I am obviously biased towards recommending that you come visit us, however knowing the owners/instructors at a couple of the other schools and knowing what it takes to become an instructor or open a Krav studio, I am confident that you will have a good experience if you visit whichever location is most convenient to you.

If you have any questions about Krav or the studio I teach at feel free to send me an email/PM.

cmr
03-12-2010, 11:14 PM
There are some times when I can not carry my gun and am forced to be "nakid".
I wouldn't mind having some training or a course on stuff like hand to hand, if you want to call it that.
Basicly, how to difuse a situation and retreat. I've seen stuff regarding pressure points and how to use the body and its joints differently (opposite direction) on the attacker.
You know what i'm talking about?

Any info on the subject is greatly appreciated!!

PhotoTom
03-12-2010, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't mind having some training or a course on stuff like hand to hand, if you want to call it that.
Basicly, how to difuse a situation and retreat. I've seen stuff regarding pressure points and how to use the body and its joints differently (opposite direction) on the attacker.

Threads merged

- Admin

Wolvee
03-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Although many years out of training 98, I was a CCIT for the Marine Corps for LINE training. (Linear Infighting Neural Override Engagement) Not that pissy non lethal jujitsu crap they are teaching now. Still to this day the best combat style i've came across. If you can find an instructor in Michigan, I Highly recommend going through the course. This is a full combat load style fighting system so it is hard on the body but it is amazing.

cmil333
03-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Although many years out of training 98, I was a CCIT for the Marine Corps for LINE training. (Linear Infighting Neural Override Engagement) Not that pissy non lethal jujitsu crap they are teaching now. Still to this day the best combat style i've came across. If you can find an instructor in Michigan, I Highly recommend going through the course. This is a full combat load style fighting system so it is hard on the body but it is amazing.

One of my fellow Krav instructors (actually one of my senior Krav instructors) used to instruct both LINE and MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) and we do a lot of comparisons between LINE, MCMAP, and Krav outside of our Krav classes. While there is a ton of crossover between all three, LINE and MCMAP both seem to be more oriented towards an extremely fit, hardcore person being able to WIN a fight at all costs. This makes sense since they are designed for wartime hand to hand combat between soldiers. Krav is more oriented towards the average person, regardless of size or fitness level being able to SURVIVE a fight at all costs. While winning a fight and surviving a fight both have the same mentality (i.e., anything goes, the only rule is there are no rules, etc.) the physical techniques can be much different. For example, a smaller woman (or even man for that matter) being attacked by a much larger opponent probably doesn't want to "fight to the finish". She/he is probably much more interested in doing whatever it takes to disable or distract the attacker long enough to escape, run and find help, or if appropriate, draw her/his weapon. That's not to say that Krav does not teach you how to finish the fight. In some cases you may not have the choice/opportunity to escape. And for that we teach some pretty brutal combatives (that's where most of the crossover with LINE and MCMAP exists).

We are getting ready for an entry level gun defense seminar. I believe it is May 1. It will be open to anyone interested. There will be some very good information on how to handle scenarios when your attacker has a handgun as well as teaching the specific defenses against the most common handgun attacks (i.e. ATM or gun to your back). These techniques are good to know even when you are carrying since you will need to make time and space to draw your weapon. I am trying to see if the studio I teach at will give a special group rate for MGO so if you (or anyone else for that matter) is interested send me a PM/email. Once I get more details I will post them in a separate thread.

bowend
03-14-2010, 09:34 PM
No seriously. At the YMCA in the Belmont/Rockford area, they have this cardio kick boxing and while its not true martial arts, you wouldn't believe how much good it does. My punches are more menacing and I'm just a little bit healthier. It's better than nothing.

brentv
03-25-2010, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=Trainer]If you haven't already started attending the MMA group, you really should (only if it's good training, not just idiots trying to KO each other). The reality of it is, in a self defense situation these days you may likely end up facing someone with a similar skillset.

Just remember why you're there & add an extra "switch" to your fighting or self defense mentality.