PDA

View Full Version : Fishing gear advice

johnzilla
02-03-2010, 07:13 PM
I did a forum search and didn't see any related threads. I realize this is a gun forum but I figured there are lots of folks here who are anglers and all advice is good.

I used to go fishing with my grandfather all the time when I was a kid. I haven't been fishing since...it has been several decades.

I'd like to get back into it, but nowadays the amount of equipment out there and all the options is just confusing as heck. Hard for me to figure out what is what. LOL

Any advice on a decent all-around rod and reel combo for MI inland lakes, and maybe some Lake St. Clair/Detroit River/Lake Erie (but not the big boys)? I was thinking around $50 or $75 would be enough to get good all-purpose general rig going. This would just be for recreational fishing, I'm not looking for tournaments or anything like that, but I don't want anything that's going to break after one weekend, either. I'm also not going to be having a rig for every different kind of fish or situation, either. I'd like one rig that can do well enough anytime so that I can just grab it and go and have fun.

Any advice is appreciated!

johnzilla
02-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Reply from burle1812 in my other thread that was in the wrong forum, reposted here so folks don't have to click around.

well, just for inland lakes, a good spinning combo is a good bet, easy to use and easy to maintain. Look for combos by shakespear (find them at dicks, gm, dunhams,etc ** although if you hit bass pro at the right time you can get decent pflueger and shimano combos at a steal. Look for line between 8 and 12lb test, will handle most stuff with the exception of catfish, and muskie - go with flurocarbon or monofilament if you know you won't be casting into the weeds, braids if you want to cast into the heavy stuff.

jvanhorn
02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
That's not bad advice, but it's hard not to say you need small (ultralite, for crappies, panfish), medium ( a 5'6"-6' medium weight rod for bass), and maybe a larger one, either a medium heavy open face spinning or a baitcaster.

Once you get started, it's like guns....

billywebb71
02-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I use an ultra lite ugly stick with an with a spinning reel, six pound test. Works great for panfish, will handle small mouth, large mouth, average size walleye, and even pike. Alot of it will come down to personal preferences. I like the fight that the bass, walleye, and pike put up on an ultra lite. Roughly $30 for the ugly stick, leaving you with about $40 for a good reel.

Daniels
02-03-2010, 09:31 PM
We just got back into fishing a few years ago. We started doing a one week trip every year. It's not that expensive if you can keep yourself from buying lures every time you go someplace that sells them. LOL We we started back I tried the new baitcast reels and ended up giving mine to my brother inlaw after almost breaking the pole over my knee several times. LOL Lots of rats nest with the line. My favorites were always spinner reels and I've even find myself using my push button more and more. You don't have to go nuts with a reel and rod as far as price. My favorite rod is this old old KMart brand I got when I was a little kid. I still have it and use it. The down side is it's a light action and doesn't like heavy lures or fish. I also have a Shakespeare medium action that I really like. I think the Shakespeare was $30 at Cabela's. When looking for a real one thing I wish I'd of paid more attention to was the gear ratio. One of mine, can't remember what one, takes FOREVER to reel in. The other thing is the ball bearings. Although I have a 3 ball bearing that is smoother than my 5 ball bearing reel so just go with whatever feels best to you.

Some advice for what it's worth. Keep fresh line on the reel. After a weeks of straight heavy fishing I'm usually due for a line change if I did not change it during the week. I've found a fresh spool of line is so much better for the lures action and for the feel and reeling action. Spend a little extra and get good swivels.

We have gone to the U.P. for pike fishing the last 4 years and this year we'll be trying Fletcher's Pond. I've never been to Fletcher's but from what I hear I'll want to make sure to have some extra tackle and line. LOL

Buzzcat
02-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I'd look at a spinning reel on a six or six and a half foot rod, Medium action on the rod.

Given your budget and your time away from the sport, I might suggest Wallyworld, but not as an insult... they sell Shakespeare Ugly Stick rod/reel combos for $30/$40 or so. I've got a couple myself. They're decent, although you might want to replace the line right from the get-go.... and you can use the savings to get an Ultralight spin combo as well. Ultras are a blast... when you hook a two pound bass or pike on an ultralight, it feels like you're fighting a Marlin. Lotsa bang for the buck.

BuckHunter
02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
I'd go out to Bass Pro in a couple of weeks for their Spring Fishing Show, they will have some good deals going on in many different name brands. Their store brand (I think it is called XPS) is a pretty good quailty item, if not I would go with a Shimano 6-10 lb spinning real, and a 6'6'' medium rod. Check out Bass Pro's website and it should show the dates for the event. If it were me and my price range was 60 or so dollars and I found a good setup for closer to 100 I would spend the extra cash, you get what you pay for.

johnzilla
02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the good info.

JohnJak
02-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I'd look at a spinning reel on a six or six and a half foot rod, Medium action on the rod.

Given your budget and your time away from the sport, I might suggest Wallyworld, but not as an insult... they sell Shakespeare Ugly Stick rod/reel combos for $30/$40 or so. I've got a couple myself. They're decent, although you might want to replace the line right from the get-go.... and you can use the savings to get an Ultralight spin combo as well. Ultras are a blast... when you hook a two pound bass or pike on an ultralight, it feels like you're fighting a Marlin. Lotsa bang for the buck.
+1000

007bondjamesbond007
02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
I got a nice rig for Christmas from Bass Pro Shop. We talked to a salesman who enters bass tournaments and wins. He pick out a rod, reel and lures the work for him. He didn't try to sell me high tech gear. He spent about an hour teaching tips and what to look for in a fishing gear. Just stop in a talk to the people at Bass Pro they were great.

SMUDGE
02-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Medium action rod and like said before a shakespeare spincast should be sufficient. To handle the most variety 8lb test line. Myself I got a daiwa rod on sale a couple years ago and it is the best rod I have ever owned. Better than even my ugly sticks maybe just luck. As far as lures and such go pick one up every time you go to Meijer wally world whatever and before you know it you will have quite the collection. Have fun.

remingtondude58
02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
I like the Ugly stick. I use the medium action, and it works for everything. I have a Shimano spinning reel on that. I also use a bait caster, but you don't need it. I am not very good with it, but good enough to notice the difference between it and the spinning setup, especially with the lighter stuff. Make sure you look at everything when you decide to buy. With some of the sales and stuff, sometimes it is cheaper to buy the combo and throw the reel it comes with away then to buy just the rod, but please don't be throwin fishing stuff away!

fbuckner
02-12-2010, 03:36 PM
That's not bad advice, but it's hard not to say you need small (ultralite, for crappies, panfish), medium ( a 5'6"-6' medium weight rod for bass), and maybe a larger one, either a medium heavy open face spinning or a baitcaster.

Once you get started, it's like guns....

Once you get started, it's like guns... AMEN I have bought tackle I knew I didnt need. I have about 6 downrigger rods put away as well as reels for those rods. I have more money in tackle than I do guns actually. I think it is my addiction that i vow to spend more time doing this year.

POLISHALE
02-13-2010, 12:11 PM
another +1 for the ulgy stick... i had a slighty over priced st croix for a week, i broke the tip off in the car door up north. man i was pissed. i endend up going to meijer and buying a twenty dollar ulgy stick. i had a few gander guide series broke every one over the years.

Toledo Kid
02-13-2010, 02:01 PM
I have and had all kinds for fishing gear from top notch Penn, Shamino, Fenwick, Winston, Loomis and Cortland to Zebco. Folks are right..this is way worst than guns.
But I have to say out of all the gear I have I caught the most off of a Berkley Cherrywood Rod and a Zebco 33 I have had for 25 years if you can believe that!!!

Daniels
02-14-2010, 09:51 AM
I went to WalMart yesterday and decided to look at some lures. WTF?! I've never looked in a local WM for lures but last time I was in the U.P. we went to the WalMart near the Soo and they had aisles of lures. My local WM has about 1/2 an aisle of crappy ones. That sucked. LOL Looks like I'll be heading to Cabela's soon.

jvanhorn
02-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I see the same thing in the local WalMart, but up in Dryden, ON, where we usually go fishing, they have a pretty good selection.

At least they did the last time we were there, 2 1/2 years ago. I wouldn't think it would change though.

Hawgrider
02-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Best fishing gear of all........ a Cooler with a six pack covered with ice, a couple dozen crawlers, Cane pole and some hooks:grin:

pkuptruck
02-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Best fishing gear of all........ a Cooler with a six pack covered with ice, a couple dozen crawlers, Cane pole and some hooks:grin:

+1

wardog6t
02-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Medium weight ugly stick with a good spinning real

who dat
02-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Can't beat a Mitchell 300 spinning reel. Gramps had one, dad had one, I have two, and my son has one. I just wish they were still made in France.

When you're done messing around with panfish and bass (I just don't get bass fishing), get a fly rod and get set up for some real outdoor enjoyment. Standing in a river up to your waist in clean cool water matching wits with a rainbow or a salmon will make you give up women!

Tight lines.

remingtondude58
02-15-2010, 08:12 PM
another +1 for the ulgy stick... i had a slighty over priced st croix for a week, i broke the tip off in the car door up north. man i was pissed. i endend up going to meijer and buying a twenty dollar ulgy stick. i had a few gander guide series broke every one over the years.

I have broke a few rods over teh years as well, but my Ugly stick still is whole. I did the same thing with my ugly stick (closed in car door) and you can see a imperfection in the clear tip, but it hasn't broke off yet.

When you're done messing around with panfish and bass (I just don't get bass fishing), get a fly rod and get set up for some real outdoor enjoyment. Standing in a river up to your waist in clean cool water matching wits with a rainbow or a salmon will make you give up women

That's something I would love to get into. Are there many fly fishing areas open to the public in SE MI? I live near Belle river, is that any good? I seen many fish in the water there.

Rugergirl
02-15-2010, 08:40 PM

Given your budget and your time away from the sport, I might suggest Wallyworld, but not as an insult... they sell Shakespeare Ugly Stick rod/reel combos for $30/$40 or so. I've got a couple myself. They're decent, although you might want to replace the line right from the get-go.... and you can use the savings to get an Ultralight spin combo as well. Ultras are a blast... when you hook a six pound bass or pike on an ultralight, it feels like you're fighting a Marlin. Lotsa bang for the buck.

Here I fixed it for you:-D
I've got more rod & reel combos than I can fit it both rod lockers and my #1 go to rod is my 4 ft ultralight Ugly Stick, with a Shakepere Dimension 5010 utlralight reel, spooled with 4 lb test Fireline. I haven't lost a fish on it yet, the hookset is instant with the Fireline and I love it.
What's up with two pound bass??????

who dat
02-16-2010, 10:02 AM
That's something I would love to get into. Are there many fly fishing areas open to the public in SE MI? I live near Belle river, is that any good? I seen many fish in the water there.You can fly fish anywhere. Fishing flies for panfish is a hoot. I used a 5 foot rod and a 1# leader for many a blue gill. It works great for small streams and brook trout, too.

I don't know about Belle River as I'm on the west side, but if it's got fish, you can flyfish for them.

Daniels
02-16-2010, 10:31 AM
I have broke a few rods over teh years as well, but my Ugly stick still is whole. I did the same thing with my ugly stick (closed in car door) and you can see a imperfection in the clear tip, but it hasn't broke off yet.

That's something I would love to get into. Are there many fly fishing areas open to the public in SE MI? I live near Belle river, is that any good? I seen many fish in the water there.

I can't picture too many waterways that are shallow enough to fly fish in in SE Michigan. I don't think I've every witnessed it in this area anyway. I've seen a guy fly fishing on the Huron River up near Chelsea and once on the Ausable River in Mio.

Hawgrider
02-16-2010, 10:36 AM
I can't picture too many waterways that are shallow enough to fly fish in in SE Michigan. I don't think I've every witnessed it in this area anyway. I've seen a guy fly fishing on the Huron River up near Chelsea and once on the Ausable River in Mio.you can fly fish for panfish on any inland lake .

POLISHALE
02-20-2010, 01:51 AM
i love getting red-ears to hit on poppers in the summer. if i could just keep my fly's out of the willow tree.

Clipper
02-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Biggest bass I ever took was on an ultralight rod I made from a flyrod tip section blank, with a Quantum UL reel spooled with 2# stren. Took 25 minutes to land a 23" river smallmouth that went about 6#...I'll never forget that fish.

quigleyman
04-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Bass pro sells a Quantum Bill Dance Select combo for about $35-$40. They are a nice graphite 6'6", 2 pc. rod with super comfy cork handles. They come with a 5 bearing reel that is actually pretty smooth for only being 5 bearings. The graphite is rediculously sensitive, too. I caught some keeper largemouth and they felt huge!

Great combo for cheap. I love mine, I also have the ultralight 5" rod. I just can't stand fiberglass or anything that starts with "s" and ends with "hakespeare ugly stik". They are the ONLY rods Ive ever broken. (ironically)

JHill
04-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Dollar for dollar, the ugly stick is the way to go, 6'-7' medium action. Get a good spinning reel, and your set, I use shimano, but that's just me. There are plenty of good reels out there. As said before, you can find some great deals, and advice from Bass Pro Shop. Fish On!!!

who dat
04-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Biggest bass I ever took was on an ultralight rod I made from a flyrod tip section blank, with a Quantum UL reel spooled with 2# stren. Took 25 minutes to land a 23" river smallmouth that went about 6#...I'll never forget that fish.Now that's fishin'!

TomE
04-04-2011, 08:12 AM

The Belle has Steelhead in it probably now . Some of the dirt roads have access by the bridges out your way . Mepps spinners and crawdad impersonators work.