PDA

View Full Version : Downriver guys, where are you shooting?

Daniels
02-16-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm just curious to see what ranges you guys are going to. I like Wolverine but they are not heated and some days it's freezing. I'm not a fan of TopGun at all. I've never had a good experience there and their prices seem on the higher side.

dougwg
02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
The guys at TopGun are great. Give them another try.

Wolverine needs to spend some damn money and pave their damn parking lot so people don't have to walk around in mud.

Daniels
02-16-2010, 02:10 PM
The guys at TopGun are great. Give them another try.

Wolverine needs to spend some damn money and pave their damn parking lot so people don't have to walk around in mud.

Ive been there a few times actually. I've just never been impressed with the counter guys or the lane prices. And don't they make you buy their ammo? It's been a couple of years since I've gone though.

BOSS302
02-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Ive been there a few times actually. I've just never been impressed with the counter guys or the lane prices. And don't they make you buy their ammo? It's been a couple of years since I've gone though.

You have to buy their ammo for rifle. Which, does indeed suck. I've always shot my own pistol ammo there.

Daniels
02-16-2010, 04:16 PM
You have to buy their ammo for rifle. Which, does indeed suck. I've always shot my own pistol ammo there.

Oh ok, I thought it was for everything for some reason.

Billetproof
02-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Wolverines alright if you like wearing your arctic gear to shoot and hip waders to get through the parking lot.

Topgun's a little pricey and always busy but a nice range.

Firing Line is my favorite, if I don't mind a little drive.

Daniels
02-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Wolverines alright if you like wearing your arctic gear to shoot and hip waders to get through the parking lot.

Topgun's a little pricey and always busy but a nice range.

Firing Line is my favorite, if I don't mind a little drive.

Yeah, I like Wolverine just because they are cheaper and there is never a wait.

I've never been to FL. Any idea on what it cost to shoot there? Do you have to buy their ammo for pistol? Ever have to wait?

Shinmen
02-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I love Top Gun, hate the wait...man that place is always busy.

Firing Line never has a wait, well at least not when I go on Fridays after work around 5. I have brought my own ammo several times and never heard a peep about it. Their ammo prices are very high too, 7.00 more for Blazer Brass .45acp than anywhere else. A good place though, just ammo prices suck. oh, and their gun prices are very fair ;).

pgaplayerless
02-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Detroit

Daniels
02-17-2010, 08:31 PM
I love Top Gun, hate the wait...man that place is always busy.

Firing Line never has a wait, well at least not when I go on Fridays after work around 5. I have brought my own ammo several times and never heard a peep about it. Their ammo prices are very high too, 7.00 more for Blazer Brass .45acp than anywhere else. A good place though, just ammo prices suck. oh, and their gun prices are very fair ;).

Yeah, I hate the wait. LOL I'm used to going to Wolverine and being the only one shooting. But I'm not a fan of wearing my winter jacket and gloves to shoot. LOL Sort of a pain.

I've never been to Firing Line before maybe I should check it out.

Any idea on their lane pricing? That's another plus to Wolverine is it's only like $8.

Shyster
02-17-2010, 11:05 PM
I shoot at Top Gun all the time. Yes, Wolverine is cheaper but the range is not as nice. Plus, I drive a little low-slung convertible and it can't really handle their parking lot.

Daniels
02-18-2010, 07:41 AM
I shoot at Top Gun all the time. Yes, Wolverine is cheaper but the range is not as nice. Plus, I drive a little low-slung convertible and it can't really handle their parking lot.
Yeah, Wolverine's range is not as nice as most. But I guess I'm different. I just want to shoot and I don't really care about the lanes. I don't even care if they retractable targets. LOL I just hate the waits and the high prices at some of the other places.

_DK_
02-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah, Wolverine's range is not as nice as most. But I guess I'm different. I just want to shoot and I don't really care about the lanes. I don't even care if they retractable targets. LOL I just hate the waits and the high prices at some of the other places.

That's how I feel... That's why I shoot at Peters, Proximity and price.

Is it the nicest range, Hell no. But it's local, cheap and I can do almost anything I want, with the exception of drawing from holster.

Daniels
02-18-2010, 09:11 AM
That's how I feel... That's why I shoot at Peters, Proximity and price.

Is it the nicest range, Hell no. But it's local, cheap and I can do almost anything I want, with the exception of drawing from holster.

I sort of like the feel of the cheaper older ranges too for some reason. LOL Heck, I'd shoot at some tin cans if there is a range like that around? hahaha

Where is Peters?

_DK_
02-18-2010, 10:28 AM
I sort of like the feel of the cheaper older ranges too for some reason. LOL Heck, I'd shoot at some tin cans if there is a range like that around? hahaha

Where is Peters?

12mile/gratiot... in roseville.

it's right off I-94, ~ 4 minutes from the I-94/ Gratiot exit (http://www.yellowbot.com/peters-indoor-range-gun-shop-roseville-mi.html)

Daniels
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
12mile/gratiot... in roseville.

it's right off I-94, ~ 4 minutes from the I-94/ Gratiot exit (http://www.yellowbot.com/peters-indoor-range-gun-shop-roseville-mi.html)

Thanks! Never heard of it but it's a hike for me.

wardog6t
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Wolverine is the cheapest in town. Pretty freindly and they have decent prices on everything they sell. Top gun is ok if you can deal with the know it all attitudes. The range is pretty clean but sometimes I get leary to some of the people that rent firearms. Theres been a couple of times I havent felt real keen on some guy or gal renting a firearm and shooting for the first time or just bought a shotgun and firing it for the first time. Kinda leary for me.

GlockWorkOrange
02-18-2010, 11:10 AM
:badass:
Detroit

ROFL! That about says it hahahahahaha

I go to top gun and Wolverine...both have their problems but for no wait and able to get away with some things like rapid fire is ok with them to a certain point and its less then 5 miles from the house then go to "Wolverine"

Top Gun Really Busy and I don't do the waiting game, but i do buy ammo and gear from TG...I heard alot of negative stuff hear about FL so i justs don't bother going...

dw1911
02-21-2010, 09:18 PM
The management at TopGun is more worried about the safety of their steel backstops and ceiling tiles then they are of their patrons. They allow reckless shooting to go on daily. Many shooters are allowed to swing their gun muzzles in any direction including the heads, faces, necks, arms, hands, fingers, chests, stomachs, dicks, balls, thighs, knees, calves, ankles, feet and toes of other shooters on the range. And when the recklessness is reported to TG management the only thing they have to say is......""Were they shooting wolf or other imported ammo that might damage our backstops or ceiling tiles?" and here is another response: "Well it looks like the are only on the lane for 30 minutes so they will be leaving in another 25 minutes.... so don't worry about them sweeping their muzzles in dangerous and deadly manor.

Daniels
02-21-2010, 09:23 PM
The management at TopGun is more worried about the safety of their steel backstops and ceiling tiles then they are of their patrons. They allow reckless shooting to go on daily. Many shooters are allowed to swing their gun muzzles in any direction including the heads, faces, necks, arms, hands, fingers, chests, stomachs, dicks, balls, thighs, knees, calves, ankles, feet and toes of other shooters on the range. And when the recklessness is reported to TG management the only thing they have to say is......""Were they shooting wolf or other imported ammo that might damage our backstops or ceiling tiles?" and here is another response: "Well it looks like the are only on the lane for 30 minutes so they will be leaving in another 25 minutes.... so don't worry about it them sweeping their muzzles in dangerous and deadly manor.

I've heard that same complaint, about wreckless shooters there. A buddy of mine said a guy was loading his guns behind him and swinging them around to the range and nothing was done. That scares me. But for every bad experience I hear about TG I hear a good. They've just never impressed me enough to ever want to go back. I've been in a few times for holsters, ammo, guns, and range and think the only thing I ever bought was some ammo just because I was never too fond with the lack of help I'd get at the counter.

dw1911
02-22-2010, 07:50 AM
I've heard that same complaint, about wreckless shooters there. A buddy of mine said a guy was loading his guns behind him and swinging them around to the range and nothing was done. That scares me. But for every bad experience I hear about TG I hear a good. They've just never impressed me enough to ever want to go back. I've been in a few times for holsters, ammo, guns, and range and think the only thing I ever bought was some ammo just because I was never too fond with the lack of help I'd get at the counter.

It is a TOTAL lack for professionalism and safety on the owners and management of topgun. Gun safety rules are NOT TO BE BENT or IGNORED.....END of STORY! Topgun is a DANGEROUS place run by greedy IDIOTS! The fact that no one has been shot or killed there is a miracle.....and who knows.. I have watch that old man rent a glock in 45acp to a young woman and then sell her 100 rounds of 40 S&W ammo to shoot thru it. She trusted the old man as an expert but in reality is nothing a d amn fool who was putting her life in danger. Have you ever seen what a 40 S&W case looks like when fired in a 45acp handgun?

Russ7777
02-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Does anyone know of an indoor range in the Gaylord area? I have heard there is one, but I cannot seem to find any information on it.
Thanks

Red Winged Tiger
02-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Did your buddy happen to mention the problem he saw to anyone working there? Its usually pretty tough to fix a problem you don't know about.

Shoot for an hour and you will see 2 or 3 employees walking the range making sure things are safe as well as checking out the condition of the lanes. I've seen them go in and talk to plenty of people who stupidly took their guns off the firing line to load them. They DO take safety seriously, but its not like they can be everywhere at once - especially when the counter is 3 people deep from end to end with people wanting to see guns and get on the range.

Seriously, range safety is everyone's business. If you see something wrong at ANY range, say something. If you don't have the balls to say it to the offending shooter yourself, then tell someone that works there. If they don't do anything about it at that point, start rethinking where you are shooting. But don't sit there and complain about something dangerous two weeks after you saw it. That doesn't solve the problem and only lets it keep happening.

Red Winged Tiger
02-28-2010, 11:08 PM
It is a TOTAL lack for professionalism and safety on the owners and management of topgun. Gun safety rules are NOT TO BE BENT or IGNORED.....END of STORY! Topgun is a DANGEROUS place run by greedy IDIOTS! The fact that no one has been shot or killed there is a miracle.....and who knows.. I have watch that old man rent a glock in 45acp to a young woman and then sell her 100 rounds of 40 S&W ammo to shoot thru it. She trusted the old man as an expert but in reality is nothing a d amn fool who was putting her life in danger. Have you ever seen what a 40 S&W case looks like when fired in a 45acp handgun?

So in this scenario of yours, did you bother to step up and say "hey, did you realize thats the wrong ammo for that gun?"

Or did you just stand there and IGNORE gun safety rules?

If you answered NO to the first question, then you even more guilty than the "old man"(your words, not mine) with failing eyesight, who grabbed the wrong ammo.

Safety is not just the responsibility of the range, owners, management and employees. If you see something unsafe on the range and fail to do something about it (either yourself or by telling an employee), then YOU are the guilty party.

Danase
03-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Did your buddy happen to mention the problem he saw to anyone working there? Its usually pretty tough to fix a problem you don't know about.

Shoot for an hour and you will see 2 or 3 employees walking the range making sure things are safe as well as checking out the condition of the lanes. I've seen them go in and talk to plenty of people who stupidly took their guns off the firing line to load them. They DO take safety seriously, but its not like they can be everywhere at once - especially when the counter is 3 people deep from end to end with people wanting to see guns and get on the range.

Seriously, range safety is everyone's business. If you see something wrong at ANY range, say something. If you don't have the balls to say it to the offending shooter yourself, then tell someone that works there. If they don't do anything about it at that point, start rethinking where you are shooting. But don't sit there and complain about something dangerous two weeks after you saw it. That doesn't solve the problem and only lets it keep happening.

Yes he did and they just said something like, "Oh that's so and so he's in here all of the time."

Danase
03-01-2010, 07:55 AM
So in this scenario of yours, did you bother to step up and say "hey, did you realize thats the wrong ammo for that gun?"

Or did you just stand there and IGNORE gun safety rules?

If you answered NO to the first question, then you even more guilty than the "old man"(your words, not mine) with failing eyesight, who grabbed the wrong ammo.

Safety is not just the responsibility of the range, owners, management and employees. If you see something unsafe on the range and fail to do something about it (either yourself or by telling an employee), then YOU are the guilty party.

I take it you work there huh?

-db-
03-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Count me among those who like the fact that Wolverine's a bit run down, cold and has a crappy parking lot. All of that simply equates to less riff-raff and waiting when I want to shop and/or shoot.

JohnS624
03-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I take it you work there huh?I doubt it. I know several people that work at different local shops and they never post here. There's always someone who hates every shop and getting into a p*ssing match with them here is bad for business, and they know it.

Danase
03-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Count me among those who like the fact that Wolverine's a bit run down, cold and has a crappy parking lot. All of that simply equates to less riff-raff and waiting when I want to shop and/or shoot.
Same here.

Red Winged Tiger
03-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Yes he did and they just said something like, "Oh that's so and so he's in here all of the time."

I don't remember asking you this question. Unless of course you have two accounts in violation of MGO's policies.

Red Winged Tiger
03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I take it you work there huh?

Why? Because I disagree with something you, or your buddy, posted so I must work there?

I took a stand FOR a gun shop, so therefore I must work there. By that logic you must work for Wolverine.

Danase
03-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Why? Because I disagree with something you, or your buddy, posted so I must work there?

I took a stand FOR a gun shop, so therefore I must work there. By that logic you must work for Wolverine.

LMAO Calm down man. I was just asking. :bdaysmile:

Django
03-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Any one know if you can shoot your own rifle ammo at Wolverine?

Shyster
03-02-2010, 07:10 AM
I believe so.

Daniels
03-02-2010, 07:50 AM

Yes you can.

-db-
03-02-2010, 08:59 AM
IIRC, Wolverine is fine with anything .30 caliber or smaller as long as you're not shooting any steel-core ammo.