PDA

View Full Version : FFL transfer fees

sirdonas
02-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Anybody know of an FFL that will do a transfer gun for less than an arm and a leg?

I like the dealer I use now, but they're a little pricey and when its only a $70 firearm, I end up paying more for shipping and transfer fees than I did for the firearm.

hopeitsfast
02-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Anybody know of an FFL that will do a transfer gun for less than an arm and a leg?

I like the dealer I use now, but they're a little pricey and when its only a $70 firearm, I end up paying more for shipping and transfer fees than I did for the firearm.
There is a list of FFLs somewhere on the site. Most are around $20. Try 'Chewy' or 'Dirtwheeler'.

stare-decisis
02-28-2010, 08:21 PM
They definitely are hit or miss. There's a few in town here that are reasonable --25$ for a transfer and as high as 40$. I tried to have one gun store do a FFL transfer, I had sold a handgun over the internet (gunbroker) the guy wanted 70$ for the transfer and then 60$ for overnight shipping and to cost him driving to the local ups outlet. :protest:

kevins_garage
02-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Ken Kubin in Farmington Hills - He's either $15 or $20 for the transfer and the last time I asked him about shipping a handgun out, he wanted $40.

esq_stu
02-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Ken Kubin in Farmington Hills - He's either $15 or $20 for the transfer and the last time I asked him about shipping a handgun out, he wanted $40.Ken has done several for me over the last year for $15 apiece

RoadKingMI
02-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Shipping should only be around 15-20 if you can have the dealer use the USPS. UPS is way to high on there fees.

SavageDetroit
02-28-2010, 10:36 PM

I found this guy on the gunbroker.com list. He charges $20 per firearm. He is located in Ecorse. It was about a month ago and the transfer was quick and easy.

Phone: 313-492-0724, Fax: 313-928-1099, e-mail: patel@patelsrepair.com
http://www.patelsrepair.com/D/

sirdonas
03-01-2010, 02:56 AM
awesome! thanks everybody again for all your help. I've paid $40 a couple times for transfers in, and its just getting really pricey.

ToughJerky
03-10-2010, 02:11 PM
My FFL charges $20 up to 5 items on the same transfer form (must arrive in 7-day period). You may ask your FFL how he handles multiple transfers on the same form. You may save a lot of money if you can consolidate your purchases.

Scoop
03-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Ken has done several for me over the last year for $15 apieceMe, too (over the last few years).

http://www.globalmilitarygunsmithing.com

joelansing
03-10-2010, 07:37 PM
I haven't found a good one here in Lansing yet. There are some $15 out in Mason/Holt area but they are part timers and not great to contact. I found them on the gunbroker.com FFL lookup. I keep going back to a guy in Charlotte that is $30.00 But he always answers the phone. He also faxes his info to your buyer within 10 mins of when you call him to start it. Jeff's Gunsite

Some FFL's are like "Ok, have the guy you bought it from fax me his info". I hate that because then you have to call or email your buyer before it gets rolling. It's so much nicer when your FFL just says "What's the sellers fax number?" and just sends all his stuff right then.

- Joe

that guy
03-10-2010, 07:48 PM
easy way to save all that money wasted on transfer fees

scrounge together $200..
buy a fax machine
get a business license if needed by your municipality
get any other things businesses may need like safes, insurance, tax licenses, computer, printer, possible second employee

and get your own FFL and then you can do transfers for others for free

after all...at $20 a transfer...that would be only 10 transfers...and the way some people rape this site just to buy and sell...they would save money

the initial $200 is good for the first 3 years and then only $90 for 3 years after that

Mike in Michigan
03-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Don't forget the pleasure of having the BATFE come into your home for those annual audits.

kevins_garage
03-11-2010, 08:50 AM

scrounge together $200..
buy a fax machine
get any other things businesses may need like safes, insurance, tax licenses, computer, printer, possible second employee

after all...at $20 a transfer...that would be only 10 transfers...and the way some people rape this site just to buy and sell...they would save money

the initial $200 is good for the first 3 years and then only $90 for 3 years after that
You must be real fun to do business with. :crazy: :boohoo:

tororider
03-11-2010, 10:47 AM
I thought about it, but Redford won't let you run a business out of your home.

scrounge together $200..
buy a fax machine

Knightrider03m
03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
One shop told me that they would do a FFL transfer for $40 unless I'm getting a gun that he already has at his shop, then the fee goes from $40 to $75 because, "he is losing money" from it. This is the same guy at has a pack of 100 rounds of 9mm and is selling them for $45.00 each :-?

Knightrider03m
03-11-2010, 04:05 PM

I've been thinking about do that too then charging $10 for transfers. I still think $25 to a little pricey......

I wonder if a group of people (3 or 4 people) can be on one FFL?

XDM 40 cal
03-11-2010, 10:08 PM
One shop told me that they would do a FFL transfer for $40 unless I'm getting a gun that he already has at his shop, then the fee goes from $40 to $75 because, "he is losing money" from it. This is the same guy at has a pack of 100 rounds of 9mm and is selling them for $45.00 each :-?

Are you J/k Me ???? 45 for 9mm and i would be looking else where for Ammo...

Um i might have miss something FFL though you had to have a store front Ie building to get one...

When they change the Law for FFL's

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

1gunnyman
03-11-2010, 10:17 PM

scrounge together $200..
buy a fax machine

i ave checked on t and have had friends go through the process and let me tell you it is not the smooth ride you make it out to be.

HVYMTLMEC
03-11-2010, 11:37 PM
PM chewy he is a member here and is in Dearborn Heights. Good guy to deal with.

that guy
03-12-2010, 01:28 AM

Um i might have miss something FFL though you had to have a store front Ie building to get one...

No law requiring that

Dongizmo
03-12-2010, 06:39 AM
No law requiring that
Nope, just need to comply with state & local (zoning) laws.....
Don

RevDerb
03-12-2010, 06:39 AM
You're buying $70 guns? :paw:

I would wager that there are hundreds of people operating businesses out of their homes in Redford. I think that you need to look into that a little deeper.

justbehindit
03-27-2010, 06:30 AM

Why? Frank Paris did for years right out of his basement. LOL

koolwink
03-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Thomas Sheehy
The Gun Barn 2
01 and Class 3/SOT dealer
25615 Kennedy St
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
313-378-0698 Phone
313-262-1967 Fax
tom@gunbarn2.com

tdbrown1969
03-27-2010, 06:44 PM
I have a guy that does my transfers for $15.He is in the Charlotte area.Original Pauls Gun Shop(NOT Pauls Gun Shop on Main Street).td

greyofk
04-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Ken Kubin did FFL transfer for me. I will do business with him again

Knightrider03m
04-22-2010, 03:43 PM

I kid you not

http://www.lapeermilitary.com/

Call and ask. That place is a joke.

XDM 40 cal
04-22-2010, 07:42 PM
I kid you not

http://www.lapeermilitary.com/

Call and ask. That place is a joke.

I see.. I didnt think ammo had to be shipped to a FFL, due to that fact that i brought ammo off the net and no issue's...

Just dont get it...:salute:

Knightrider03m
04-23-2010, 01:18 AM
I see.. I didnt think ammo had to be shipped to a FFL, due to that fact that i brought ammo off the net and no issue's...

Just dont get it...:salute:

Sorry, I was talking about gun transfers, not shipping ammo. You can have ammo shipped to your house. About the ammo, I was talking about how much that store sales their 100 round count of 9mm wincester white box.

XDM 40 cal
04-23-2010, 05:12 AM
:-D
Sorry, I was talking about gun transfers, not shipping ammo. You can have ammo shipped to your house. About the ammo, I was talking about how much that store sales their 100 round count of 9mm wincester white box.

GOtya, Yea some place are way over the top on FFL fees.. For that is the internet shopping some of us do,and fine some good deals, in some case though when you add all the FFL fee's and shipping sometime comes out about the same price as a store...

chewy
04-23-2010, 06:04 AM
PM chewy he is a member here and is in Dearborn Heights. Good guy to deal with.

Ya, I hear chewy is ******* awesome. Going to him is like being in the presence of royalty... really messy and forgetful royalty! :D

chewy
04-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Thomas Sheehy
The Gun Barn 2
01 and Class 3/SOT dealer
25615 Kennedy St
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
313-378-0698 Phone
313-262-1967 Fax
tom@gunbarn2.com

Well now... 1 free transfer for you! :)

chewy
04-23-2010, 06:12 AM
I've been thinking about do that too then charging $10 for transfers. I still think $25 to a little pricey......

I wonder if a group of people (3 or 4 people) can be on one FFL?

No. You can do a corporation type thing but each "address" has to have a seperate license. You can do the "second location" license where you have the same license but issued to 2 different addresses but the cost is the same as if you got 2 completely different ones, it just allows you to operate as one.

I normally charge $20 for transfers. It does seem pricey but not only is it my time to do it all it's also the liability of me being responsible for the guns and who they go to as well as me having to make sure all the paperwork is filled out correctly then storing said paperwork for years and years. When you start doing 50 to 80 sales/transfers a month or more it starts taking a LOT of room in storage to keep all that paperwork around. If I did it for free I wouldn't be able to keep doing business! Although I do normally give free transfers for regular clients, or clients who buy from me as well as have me do transfers... and of course for those clients that I get talking to for an hour then forget to collect the money! :) I'm sure none of you have experienced that with me before :D

mini4m3
04-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Although I do normally give free transfers for regular clients, or clients who buy from me as well as have me do transfers... and of course for those clients that I get talking to for an hour then forget to collect the money! :) I'm sure none of you have experienced that with me before :D

Possibly all three :freak:

twofour
04-24-2010, 11:47 AM
good guys to deal with::banana:
SP Guns-N-Ammo
16070 Eureka Road
P.O. Box 2053
Southgate, MI

By Phone: (734)225-7426