PDA

View Full Version : Handgun and Change of Address

KalamazooPromise
03-05-2010, 09:21 PM
If I move from one apartment to another, and my handgun is registered at the Sheriff's office to the old address, do I have to let them know the new address? (I don't have a CPL, so this isn't related to that).

kimber745
03-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Nope no law says that you have to.

Tallbear
03-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Nothing in the law requires you to re-register the handgun. It's registered to "you" not the address where you live.

KalamazooPromise
03-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Nope no law says that you have to.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the fast responses.

steve581581
03-05-2010, 09:28 PM
pretty sure the only time you would have to change your address is when you renewed your cpl and that doesnt apply to your guns

kreemee15
03-22-2010, 04:14 AM
the guys asked if he moved from one apartment to another apartment would he have to reregister his hand gun to his new address i think he does because on my purchase permit it has your address on the permit purchase permit not a cpl permit thats why they have police stations in almost every city you guys need to wake up when someone asked for a certain answer dont give the wrong answer

RevDerb
03-22-2010, 05:08 AM
the guys asked if he moved from one apartment to another apartment would he have to re-register his hand gun to his new address i think he does because on my purchase permit it has your address on the permit purchase permit not a cpl permit that's why they have police stations in almost every city you guys need to wake up when someone asked for a certain answer don't give the wrong answer
You may think that he does, Comrade, but you are wrong. Sorry. You need to study up on your gun ownership laws before you go off half cocked like that. The OP asked a question and he was properly answered until you jumped in. :tsk: :paw:

DOUGHBOY RACING
03-22-2010, 07:25 AM
I think you do only if you move to a new state

zigziggityzoo
03-22-2010, 07:25 AM
I think you do only if you move to a new state

Only if your new state requires registration.

Will-IB-Ready
03-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Only if your new state requires registration.
Exactly.

Will-IB-Ready
03-22-2010, 08:02 AM
the guys asked if he moved from one apartment to another apartment would he have to reregister his hand gun to his new address i think he does because on my purchase permit it has your address on the permit purchase permit not a cpl permit thats why they have police stations in almost every city you guys need to wake up when someone asked for a certain answer dont give the wrong answer
Kreemee, you seem to have strong opinions but almost zero knowledge about issues discussed on these forums. I would recommend you read more and post less, unless you have questions.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your posts thus far have been useless.

PhotoTom
03-22-2010, 08:09 AM
I just want to interject here...
We do NOT discourage "questions" from being asked. That is the very nature of these forums ("Knowledge Sharing"). The problem becomes when something is stated as factual without being so...

If you are not sure, please don't guess. Just ask and several helpful members will give the facts.

- Admin

RevDerb
03-22-2010, 11:09 AM
I just want to interject here...
We do NOT discourage "questions" from being asked. That is the very nature of these forums ("Knowledge Sharing"). The problem becomes when something is stated as factual without being so...

If you are not sure, please don't guess. Just ask and several helpful members will give the facts.

- Admin

:yeahthat:

Leader
03-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Which MOST by a BIG majority don't.
Back to the OP's question.. No you don't have to change your registration, in fact, you don't even have to keep your copy if it has been over 30 days since you registered.
The ONLY practical use for the registration in MI is to charge someone with a "Gun Crime" of not having it registered in their name.

shooter57
04-13-2010, 11:30 AM
All you need to do is drop off the copies to your new local PD if you moved to another area,same PD area drop it off their. You will need to go the local PD to get another purchase permit and that might be a pain as they may want to charge for checking you out. With a CPL just stop in ,drop it off and leave.

Leader
04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
All you need to do is drop off the copies to your new local PD if you moved to another area,same PD area drop it off their. You will need to go the local PD to get another purchase permit and that might be a pain as they may want to charge for checking you out. With a CPL just stop in ,drop it off and leave.

What question are you answering? The OP asked and got the correct answer. What you are saying is totally wrong if it refers to a gun you already own that has already been registered.