PDA

View Full Version : CMP Clinic April 18th Linden, Mi

Garandpa
03-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Shooters,

Here is your chance to get some excellent marksmanship training and fire a match to qualify you to purchase M1's and ammo from the CMP. Rifles and spotting scopes are available in limited numbers for those who pre-register. You may also bring your own qualifying equipment...

http://www.lindensportsmenclub.com/CMP_Clinic_April_2010.doc

EricF517
03-08-2010, 01:07 PM
How much ammo any what rifles can be used?

Garandpa
03-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Rifles allowed are "Service Rifles" according to CMP rules, so AR-15's, M-14/M1A's, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Springfields, and a few others. Check CMP rules for the complete list and descriptions.

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

They have club M1's for those who do not have rifles of their own, but you must register in advance to make sure one is available for you.

I'm not 100% sure, but they will likley shoot the Garand Match course of fire, which is 35 rounds (any safe ammo). It is also possible that they may shoot the 50 round National Match course. They will have ammo for sale for the match, which is usually dirt cheap.

CJR
03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Questions:

1) It says ammo will be provided for students during the match only, what other shooting will there be?

2) How long does the class last?

3) In the membership Q&A on the CMP site, it says in order to become a member:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures.

Will the awards that will be handed out during the training serve that purpose?

At any rate, it sounds like a good time! I am very interested! Anyone going?

Garandpa
03-10-2010, 04:37 PM
1) No other shooting. They want you to use the ammo they provide.

2) I don't know. Probably most of the day including the match. Call the numbers on the flyer.

3) The is no "membership" in CMP. You qualify to purchase rifles and ammo by participating in a marksmanship related activity, such as a match or a clinic. I believe they will give you a certificate showing you participated. I'm not sure because I qualified by being prior military. However, participating in a clinic satisfies the requirement. You don't have to win an award to qualify.

rifle guy
03-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Hope this will answer a few questions for you, any others just ask.

The CMP clinic at Linde Sportsmen Club has been an annual event since before I became a member. It is designed to give new and junior shooters who are interested in learning about the sport of high power rifle shooting a good base to build on. The class room portion, about 3 hours, will be run by extremely capable instructors. Harvey and Matt both NRA High Masters and "Distinguished Rifleman" along with Jeff and Stephanie NRA Expert and Master shooters. During class you will get everything you need to get started. Breathing, positioning, sling use, sight picture, sight alignment and most importantly saftey. After a short lunch break we will all move to the range for a live fire match. Each student will receive one on one coaching from very experienced club volunteers. CMP award pins will be awarded to those who fire qualified scores and all who pass muster will receive a certificate of completion that will fill one of the requirements to make purchases thru the CMP.

Linden Sportsmen Club
Sanctioned
CMP Rifle Clinic

Location: Linden Sportsmen Club Date: April 18, 2010 Registration: 8:30 AM
14323 Hogan Rd Start: 9:00 AM
Linden Mi. 48451

Information: The clinic class will be run by Master and Expert instructors as well all students will be coached by experienced competitors while on the firing line. The basic skills on safety, sighting, breathing and positioning needed for competing in rifle matches will be taught. Eye and ear protection are required, please provide your own if possible. The club does have a limited number of rifles and scopes available for students at no charge. You may use your own equipment. Space and equipment are limited so pre-registration is highly recommended. If you will need to use club equipment pre-registration is required. Walk-In’s will be accepted only to the limit of seating and equipment.

Cost: $30.00 for adults, $15.00 for juniors. Fees include classroom instruction, materials, lunch, and match.

Ammunition: 30.06, .30 carbine and .223 ammunition will be provided for student use
at the match only.

Rifles: The club does have a limited number of rifles and scopes available for students. You may bring your personal equipment. Please be sure to pre-register if you will need to use club equipment.

Awards: “CMP Certificates of Achievement” and “CMP Award Pins” will be presented
to those who qualify.

Contacts: John Johannes Don Sorenson
(810) 938-0668 810-394-9688
jjiscmi@msn.com dps123@comcast.net

With still over a month before class we are alost half full. So for those interested in attending I recomend that you pre-register as soon as possable.

HTH,

rifle guy @ LSC

Garandpa
03-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks Rifle guy, I though you folks could use a little help getting the word out. I meet lots of shooters who are interested in CMP competition, but just don't know where to start. I've shot a few matches at Linden and always have an excellent time. Great bunch of fellows out there.

starjammir
03-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Can I bring both my .223 and my M1 Carbine if I want help with both of them?

rifle guy
03-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I suppose that you could bring both and maybe after all is said and done get a few tips on the second rifle but you'll only be able to fire one at the range. If you have an AR I'd recommend you bring it. More shooter friendly than a carbine.

HTH,

rifle guy @ LSC

Garandpa
03-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Use the following form to register for the clinic. It's filling up fast, so don't put it off...

http://www.lindensportsmenclub.com/Microsoft_Word_-_Match_Registration.pdf

Ricebrnr
03-19-2010, 07:29 PM
I only have an AR with the collapsible buttstock, will that be ok?

Getting ready to mail the reg form for me and the Mrs this w/e.

Thanks!

rifle guy
03-19-2010, 08:01 PM
So long as your rifle has open sights, you've got a 20 round mag, chamber flag, eyes and ears you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend your rifle for regular use in a HP match but it will do nicely for the clinic.

Good that both of you are attending. See you on line.

rifle guy @ LSC

Ricebrnr
03-19-2010, 08:48 PM
well I have a 10 round mag but need to get a chamber flag.

Eyes and ears are definitely covered though.

Thanks!

rifle guy
03-19-2010, 08:55 PM
10 rounder will do. If you've got a buck I've got a flag for you. Throw it in your range bag. It's good practice to use one where ever you're shooting wether it's required or not.

rifle guy @ LSC

Medic124
03-30-2010, 01:01 PM
If I read the rules correctly, your AR must have a carry handle and iron sights and a fixed butt stock? Is this correct? I got it from a CMP site with the rules on it. I was going to sign up using my AR 16" barrel, magpul CTR stock with flip ups but from what I am reading, it has to be an A2 style rifle. Can someone please clarify for me? Thank you.

Ricebrnr
03-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Subject: Re: CMP in April question
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:42:09 -0400

An AR with a collapsible stock will work for the clinic environment, not the best choice for "match" shooting though. Be sure that you bring your eyes and ears. If you don't have empty chamber flags I have them for $1 @. Good practice to have some in your range bag anyway and use them where ever you shot, required or not.

John Johannes

hope that helps

rifle guy
03-30-2010, 01:38 PM
For matches such as the P100, NTI or XTC you are be correct (don't have the rules book in front of me). But do remember that this is a "Clinic", a way to learn high power type events. An A2 will serve better as a match rifle but an A4 with iron sights will work good enough for this day.

HTH,

rifle guy

rifle guy
04-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Good news, Bad news!!! The CMP Clinic is all but full. We do have room but just for a couple more students. If there is still someone out there wishing to attend DO NOT MAIL your registration form, it probably won't arrive in time for our event, you can email me directly with your information and we will do our best to find you a seat.

Thank you all for your interest! See you on line!

rifle guy @ LSC
jjiscmi@msn.com

sandwichking2
04-14-2010, 05:49 PM
~what time will the clinic go till?

rifle guy
04-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Registration opens at 8:30 AM, class starts at 9:00 AM. Lunch at noon with the range time starting soon after. Probably 3 relays so we should finish up 3:00 PM + -. If you'd like to attend and have not already registered email me ASAP to reserve one of our remaining seats.

Thanks for your interest!

rifle guy @ LSC

Trackman
04-18-2010, 06:07 PM
All you at Linden did a Super Job at the Event. Great Job. Although I found out I am a Little out of Shape for Such an Event I intend to keep Trying. Thanks for the Great Day. Oh Yeah. The Club Rifle Garand was Worth Every Penny.

Ricebrnr
04-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Yep, thanks much guys!

Great program but I too am out of shape. My support arm is killing me!

rifle guy
04-18-2010, 07:22 PM
We did have a good day today at Linden Sportsmen Club! It's always rewarding at a match to see a few new shooters but when 26 new shooters show up for an event such as our annual clinic it is really exciting for our sport. In the 26 there were two ladies, three juniors and 21 men. They came from not just our area but from around mid Michigan, the Detroit metro area with two comming from Ohio. They students were supported by sixteen club members that gave of their time and experience to help get these students off and running on the right foot. They also got to see LSC in full bloom too with a registered ATA match and the pistol bay active with IDPA shooters. Special thanks to Jenny and the trap ladies for their help with lunch. The scores will be posted ASAP.

Hope everyone enjoyed the day as much as me!

rifle guy @ LSC

Garandpa
04-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I had a fine time, learned some stuff I can use, and fired a personal best in Offhand (94). I think I might have had overall high score too (291/300), but it was run as a Garand match and I fired an AR-15, so I don't know yet. To top it off my Daughter fired her first match and beat my son-in-law by 13 points and they both had a great time and learned a lot. As a bonus, they both got the Books from the USAMU to dig a little deeper into marksmanship off the range. As always, Linden puts on a good event.

Roy

Billetproof
04-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Will they do this again this summer?

OldDoggy
04-20-2010, 05:42 AM
Go here : http://www.lindensportsmenclub.com/CMP.html

Hope to see you there at one of our shoots.

Just Another Old Doggy, Don

Garandpa
04-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Who's got the results? I'm dyin'over here...:deal2:

rifle guy
04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
For those interested here are the scores from the match portion of the CMP Rifle Clinic held last Sunday at LSC. There were quite a few impressive scores! Especially by junior Zach Diamond who fired a 207 with an M1 Carbine at his first match. Having his grand father as a coach sure didn't hurt!!!

Linden Sportsmen Club
CMP Rifle Clinic 4-18-2010
Results

M1 Rifle & Carbine

1. Michael Oliansky 263-2X
2. Joseph Doyle 259-1X
3. Robert Jennison 255-3X
4. Karl Davers 254-2X
5. Patrick Cavanaugh 246-4X
6. Kenneth Perry 245-2X
7. Shane Praay 245-1X
8. Brian Krause 234
9. Charles Kim 234
10. Phillip Watson 225-1X
11. William Harness 223-2X
12. Dawn Dell’Eva 218
13. Zach Diamond, M1 Carbine 207
14. Brandon Thorpe 202-1X
15. William Jennison 200-1X
16. Franklin Cox 193-1X
17. Thomas Watson 78

Service Rifle:

1. Roy Burmeister 289-6X
2. Michael Mitchell 285-4X
3. Steven Stewart 279-7X
4. Ulysses Wong 242-2X
5. Kelly Burmeister 224-2X
6. Andrew Praay 222-1X
7. Dan Cary 211
8. Kristine Nash-Wong 188
9. Blair Diamond N/S

Join us in May for our next GSM event, an M1's for Vets Fudraiser.

See you on line,

rifle guy @ LSC

Garandpa
04-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for getting those up Rifle guy. I've been eagerly anticipating the results, since that was my personal best Slow Prone (100) and Offhand (94). Nice to be at the top of the podium for a change. Now if I can just stay there somehow! :biggrin:

Roy