PDA

View Full Version : How to get started in comps

CJR
03-09-2010, 09:20 PM
If someone wanted to get started in comp shooting (pistol or F class rifle for example), what would be a logical series of steps?

I know its a bit vague, and rather open...but i have been googling for weeks, and the best i can find is very little.

Where do i start?

Will-IB-Ready
03-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Well, for one thing, decide what you want to do. Do you want to do competitive pistol shooting? Do you want to shoot long range rifles competitively?

Totally different things...

If you want to shoot IDPA or IPSC, find clubs that have practices weekly or monthly, and start attending them. Good way to find out where you stand without any pressure.

CJR
03-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Well, for one thing, decide what you want to do. Do you want to do competitive pistol shooting? Do you want to shoot long range rifles competitively?

Totally different things...

If you want to shoot IDPA or IPSC, find clubs that have practices weekly or monthly, and start attending them. Good way to find out where you stand without any pressure.

Thanks, i was searching on here buy could not find anything (i went through the first 4-5 pages of the search)...are there any clubs that shoot F class type ranges around here? I have been reading up on it quite a bit, and its something i definitely want to do...but it seems the standard range is 600 yds (which there are only 2-3 ranges in the area that go that far) and it bumps up too 1000 where available.

Will-IB-Ready
03-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks, i was searching on here buy could not find anything (i went through the first 4-5 pages of the search)...are there any clubs that shoot F class type ranges around here? I have been reading up on it quite a bit, and its something i definitely want to do...but it seems the standard range is 600 yds (which there are only 2-3 ranges in the area that go that far) and it bumps up too 1000 where available.
Yeah, I'll let someone from your area chime in on that. But there have been some frustrations expressed by people who want to get into the longer range stuff...

Trackman
03-10-2010, 12:24 PM
CJR, We at LCSC (Lapeer County Sportsmens Club) Hold what we Call Steel Fun Shoots Once a month. They are Not IDPA or IPSC but they are timed Events and are Scored and Categorized. A Little More Laid Back thean the IDPA and IPSC Stuff. Our Next Steel Fun Shoot is on March 20th. I Figure I will eventually try IDPA and IPSC but for Now our Club offers enough for Me. Oh and Our Bowling Pin Shoots Startup April 10th. For more information Please Visit our Website at www.lapeersportsmens.org

CJR
03-10-2010, 02:10 PM
CJR, We at LCSC (Lapeer County Sportsmens Club) Hold what we Call Steel Fun Shoots Once a month. They are Not IDPA or IPSC but they are timed Events and are Scored and Categorized. A Little More Laid Back thean the IDPA and IPSC Stuff. Our Next Steel Fun Shoot is on March 20th. I Figure I will eventually try IDPA and IPSC but for Now our Club offers enough for Me. Oh and Our Bowling Pin Shoots Startup April 10th. For more information Please Visit our Website at www.lapeersportsmens.org

Thank you for pointing this out, i need to join up there anyways :)

When is the April fun shoot? I leave on the 23rd of march...so i may not be able to make it to this months.

Roundballer
03-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Thank you for pointing this out, i need to join up there anyways :)

When is the April fun shoot? I leave on the 23rd of march...so i may not be able to make it to this months.
The April Hand gun steel is on the 17th. Sign-up from 10am to 2pm.
The Pin shoot in April is on the 10th, starting at 9am
We also do a little 3 Gun Action stuff, I can't tell you much about it. But I can find out more if you are interested.

CJR
03-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Again, thank you!

Who is the best person to talk to about more details and about getting to know everyone there?

Roundballer
03-10-2010, 11:04 PM
PM sent

rifle guy
03-14-2010, 04:46 PM
At Linden Sportsmen Club they have open practice every Saturday morning. Starting next month they will begin Wednsday evening open practice. Rick & Dick have a schedule of regular matches also. Try the LSC home page and click the IDPA button for more details and phone numbers.

HTH,

rifle guy @ LSC

ltdave
03-14-2010, 06:11 PM
blue water sportsmans association has full distance practice matches the last wednesday of the month starting in may. they shoot 300yd rapids and 600yd slow fire...

check the website for the exact times...

if you came out you wouldnt have to shoot the 300s but youde still do your time in the pits while others are shooting it...

the bwsa also has a very active IPSC/IDPA combat matches. they meet on thursdays for practice and fun shoots with regular competitive matches through the year...

check them out at michigan3guncombat.com

TheRealSTOGIE
03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
At Linden Sportsmen Club they have open practice every Saturday morning. Starting next month they will begin Wednsday evening open practice. Rick & Dick have a schedule of regular matches also. Try the LSC home page and click the IDPA button for more details and phone numbers.

HTH,

rifle guy @ LSC

X2..... Dick is a great guy! I just traveled to St. Louis with him to shoot a local USPSA match and the Wounded Warriors Charity Sanctioned IDPA Match..... Being my first sanctioned match, Dick was really patient, gave some sound advice that I needed, and helped me out A LOT! I Had tons of fun....

rifle guy
03-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Check MRPA and ORPA. I'm sure that they'll have what you're looking for. Midland has 3 X 20 600 yard events and maybe Blue Water. I know that there are more but right now I have a problems with CRI. 1000 yard, Camp Grayling and Camp Perry come to mind.

MRPA: www.michrpa.com
ORPA: www.orpa.net

HTH,

rifle guy @ LSC